Speculation: What is Buffalo's end game with Taylor Hall?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Hall jerked around the Devils... left Arizona hanging while all he talked about was wanting to win... so he goes to Buffalo on a huge one year deal.

No offense to Buffalo... they aren't there yet. They aren't winning the cup in the next few years. Taylor Hall's priority is to have Eichel help him score a bunch of goals this year so he can cash in as a UFA on another team.

Reactions: PAZ

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Do what you need to do to sign him long term.
With Eichel at $10 mil long term, Skinner at $9 mil long term, needing to give Reinhart a raise, Dahlin with a big extension coming up, no real no.1 goalie on the horizon they might need to get via RFA, Olofsson need a big extension in a couple of years...

Handing Hall a big extension probably worth at least $9M long term sets Buffalo up with a very ugly cap structure to just keep the team as is and not make them really that much closer to being a cup contender. Both Buffalo and Hall should avoid a long term relationship and they should trade him at the deadline for top assets. Dylan Cozens alone is not saving that team

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
With Eichel at $10 mil long term, Skinner at $9 mil long term, needing to give Reinhart a raise, Dahlin with a big extension coming up, no real no.1 goalie on the horizon they might need to get via RFA, Olofsson need a big extension in a couple of years...

Handing Hall a big extension probably worth at least $9M long term sets Buffalo up with a very ugly cap structure to just keep the team as is and not make them really that much closer to being a cup contender. Both Buffalo and Hall should avoid a long term relationship and they should trade him at the deadline for top assets. Dylan Cozens alone is not saving that team

Doing what needs to be done will be making difficult decisions which I am open to.

Like adding significant sweetners for Seattle to take Okposo .. or trading Reinhart or letting Olofsson go.

It will take sacrifices but should find a way to do it if Hall is willing.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I wonder if Hall's plan is to sign short deals like this until the cap goes up

Overall, I think the Sabres just wanted to take a shot at making the playoffs and had the opportunity to add an elite offensive player...so why not?
Pretty much. Their only realistic hopes of signing him long term were pissed away the prior summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he wants to play for the Oilers, but they don't have cap room until next summer so he took a 1 year deal close to his Toronto home. But if it goes well in Buffalo and the team does well, it's not a bad place to stay.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

Reinhart will get a raise but not a significant one. Staal's money can be used to give Reinhart his raise. Dahlin, looks promising but so far hasn't shown enough to warrant a big extension. I can see both sides agreeing to a bridge deal. Ullmark may not be a stud but he's performing well enough to be our no.1 while UPL develops. This season will obviously be telling in whether or not we have something there with him. Olofsson may get a raise but if needed I think a lot of the fan base would be okay with trading him to keep Hall. Great shot, not much else so far in terms of an all around game. I think it would be smart to sell high on Olofsson if we can get him to score a bunch again this year.

Reactions: DJN21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad