Speculation: What is Buffalo's end game with Taylor Hall?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Can they even afford Hall? The rest of that roster is going to be extremely thin if you have 30m tied to 3 forwards. You'd have 1 good line and a bunch of holes down the lineup, that Skinner contract has an NMC as well, it's going to be crippling.
That’s the maple leafs way

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
If buffalo is long shot to make playoffs by trade deadline then trade him for picks and prospects. If buffalo is in a playoff or in a close battle for a playoffs spot get him resigned somehow

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He's essentially a full year rental at no asset cost. I don't believe the goal is to flip him, unless he is not willing to sign AND they are out of the playoffs by the deadline. If they do decide to trade him, however, they may be able to add a decent player or two, as inquiring teams look to offset Hall's salary while also clearing salary for the upcoming season.

All in all, I hope he works out and forms a solid duo with Eichel. Always cool to see a franchise player stick with an organization and lead them to better days.

If they trade him or let him walk, it's likely the end of the Eichel era. Unless they can bring in another elite winger, which I doubt. Give him the good ol' 8x9 next summer and call it a day.

That's Jeff Skinner money. You really think Hall is worth it?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes, but he’d waive it under the right circumstances.

The NMC is there to protect Hall against the Sabres trading him to another wheel-spinning franchise simply because they offered the best package.
It actually puts Hall in the driver's seat. He can choose where he wants to go.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
They gave up nothing for him. The goal is to win.

Trading him at deadline is only an option if they don't see him as a fit and they can't make playoffs. If they're in playoffs, regardless if he's not in their long term plans, he's staying. Losing him for nothing isn't a big deal when you gave up nothing for him. If they like him and Hall enjoys the year, the goal would be to sign him.
Perfectly stated

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Trading him at deadline is only an option if they don't see him as a fit and they can't make playoffs. If they're in playoffs, regardless if he's not in their long term plans, he's staying. Losing him for nothing isn't a big deal when you gave up nothing for him. If they like him and Hall enjoys the year, the goal would be to sign him.

He has a NMC

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
they can. If they give Dahlin a low bridge they could sign Hall and Reinhart to 7 each.

Hall(7) Eichel (10) Quinn(1)
Skinner (9)-Cozens (1) Thompson (1.4)
Olofsson(3) Mittlestadt (1.5) Reinhart (7)
Girgensons (2.2) Eakin (2.25)-xxx (1)
Okposo (6)
F= 18+11.4+11.5+ 11.45= 29.4+22.95=52.35

Dahlin (5.5) Joki (4)
xxx (1). Risto (5.4)
Miller (3.9) Borgen (1)
Vet (1)

Ullmark (4)
UPL (1)
9.5+6.4+5.9+5=15.9+10.9=27.8

27.8+ 52.35= 80.15

buffalo has 0.8 in buyout dead space

looking ahead summers when contracts end

in 22 Olofsson bridge ends
23 Mittlestadt bridge end, Cozens ELC ends.
24 Quinn ELC ends
25 ELC on Peterka end , Eichel is due to end
26 Skinner contract ends

with Quinn or peterka they could give them low bridges until Skinners contract is scheduled to end

they could get Seattle to take Okposo or Miller

they could trade Reinhart for a LD who is younger who makes around 4-5M
Hall took a "pay cut" to sign with Buffalo at $8MM, and you think he is going to take another pay cut to $7MM to stay in Buffalo?

Reactions: Ciao

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
To help Hall get a bigger contract with term and also help Eichel's sanity level this year.

If they can sign him for six years at $8 to $9M, they will. I think they have to move Reinhart to make it happen and I'm good with that. Not sure Eichel will be but that's life. Skinner is not going anywhere, it's reality.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Hall took a "pay cut" to sign with Buffalo at $8MM, and you think he is going to take another pay cut to $7MM to stay in Buffalo?

There is little evidence to suggest anyone would offer him more on a one-year deal. They were longer terms for sure but on a one-year deal, show me one story that suggests he was offered more elsewhere.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If they can sign him for six years at $8 to $9M, they will. I think they have to move Reinhart to make it happen and I'm good with that. Not sure Eichel will be but that's life. Skinner is not going anywhere, it's reality.

Did Skinner ever capitalize at the right moment eh? Disgusting how he held the Sabres hostage... Sign me to what I want or I go to UFA. $9M for 8 years vs $7M for 8 years. $72M vs $56M. Leave some for other players eh... I hate greedy players cause at the end of day, it's a 50/50 split and I think this sends the wrong message to your teammates. Especially for a top 6F that is not star level.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

if he wants to stay he would have to. Buffalo doesn’t have long term cap space as of now.

over the next coup,e years teams won’t have the money nor pay him what he thinks he’s worth. $7Zm is the cap hit. It coukd be front loaded where his actual salary is higher.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
They will do everything in their power to convince Skinner to be open to the expansion draft and hope to hell he becomes a feared Octopi.

Those cap savings would be more than enough to sign Hall long-term and add during a prolonged flat cap period.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
There is little evidence to suggest anyone would offer him more on a one-year deal. They were longer terms for sure but on a one-year deal, show me one story that suggests he was offered more elsewhere.
I'm not saying teams offered more, just that with Covid and the stagnant cap, he took the $8MM from Buffalo because they had the cap space to offer it. Next season when teams have more cap space, and if he keeps putting up the numbers he is, teams will be lining up to sign him, and not at $7MM a season.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

This

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Buffalo's gonna give it all they have to sign him, but I doubt he signs. He just seems like a nomad wanderer

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He was signed to appease Eichel short term and if they’re smart they’ll flip him at the deadline

Uh no.It actually isn't. If they are smart they re-sign him, which is what both sides want.

Hall is the one that said he was open to more then 1 year during the negotiations and it was the Sabres who wanted the 1 year term. Because of the expansion draft and also to give them a full season to figure out how to fit in Hall and a new contract for Dahlin. One way or the other Adams will make it happen. And Tampa has shown that it is better to be top heavy then not. You can always plug and play your bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair D. You cannot plug and play the top 6. Hall wants to play for Krueger and he is loving having Eichel as his center. The Sabres got a superstar forward for FREE. They will keep him.

And I would say the Hall-Eichel duo is doing exactly how many of us predicted, leading the league in scoring. 2 of the 5 players with 6 points are Sabres, but Marner and Tavares played 4 games, not 3. So in actuality as of today 2 of the top 3 scoring leaders are Eichel and Hall. And Eichel hasn't even played to his full potential, he has actually been average the first 3 games. It is going to be real scary once Eichel is playing at his top form.

Buffalo's gonna give it all they have to sign him, but I doubt he signs. He just seems like a nomad wanderer

Actually if people listened and connected the dots during last season they would have had Buffalo as a top destination due to Krueger and Eichel. Its ok though, fans were mad at Hall for signing here in the first place and they can be mad again when they see the thread for his extension after the expansion draft.

And Like I already said, if you actually watched the behind the scenes on the Hall signing, Hall and his agent were the one's who wanted to sign for more then 1 year. Buffalo opted for 1 so they can move some contracts around and sign him for a long term deal after this season instead of a 2 or 3 year deal before this current season. The Sabres want Hall here for 6-7 years, not 2 or 3.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Did Skinner ever capitalize at the right moment eh? Disgusting how he held the Sabres hostage... Sign me to what I want or I go to UFA. $9M for 8 years vs $7M for 8 years. $72M vs $56M. Leave some for other players eh... I hate greedy players cause at the end of day, it's a 50/50 split and I think this sends the wrong message to your teammates. Especially for a top 6F that is not star level.

They got him for next to nothing, if they let him walk they're out a 2nd round pick for a full season rental that put up decent numbers. Buffalo is the only party to blame for agreeing to that abortion of a contract.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
You are mad at Skinner for....considering to exercise his right to become a UFA?

Be mad at Buffalo for offering the contract.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They got him for next to nothing, if they let him walk they're out a 2nd round pick for a full season rental that put up decent numbers. Buffalo is the only party to blame for agreeing to that abortion of a contract.

Nah... I don't see it that way. Skinner took advantage cause he knew they could not afford to let him walk. Going after $9M AAV is disgusting and greedy. It's selfish for a top 6F who is not a star. Sabres fell into that trap yes but it's not one area of blame only

You won't move me off the greedy narrative on how some players/agents go after max deals at the cost of team competitiveness in a salary cap. Anything after $10M is gravy for your family. $72M vs $56M does not put the player at risk but it does put the teams cap at risk. Selfish cause he is not a star!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are mad at Skinner for....considering to exercise his right to become a UFA?

Be mad at Buffalo for offering the contract.

Not mad, disappointed in him. He could have easily got a $56M contract instead of $72M and his team would be more competitive in the salary cap. At the end of the day, 50% of revenue goes to the players.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Not mad, disappointed in him. He could have easily got a $56M contract instead of $72M and his team would be more competitive in the salary cap. At the end of the day, 50% of revenue goes to the players.
Lol, of course Skinner could have signed for $56M. Buffalo should have showed more restraint on that deal. It was terrible when it was signed.

Most players get one chance for a massive contract and it’s incredibly naive to suggest they are under some obligation to sign a team friendly deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol, of course Skinner could have signed for $56M. Buffalo should have showed more restraint on that deal. It was terrible when it was signed.

Most players get one chance for a massive contract and it’s incredibly naive to suggest they are under some obligation to sign a team friendly deal.

Nope. It was clear... Skinner gave the Sabres a take it or leave it contract he would sign. If not, he goes to UFA. Sabres panicked cause they felt they needed to keep offensive talent. Skinner got the absolute max deal he could get.

Not mad, disappointed in Skinner. He's not the only one

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Uh no.It actually isn't. If they are smart they re-sign him, which is what both sides want.

Hall is the one that said he was open to more then 1 year during the negotiations and it was the Sabres who wanted the 1 year term. Because of the expansion draft and also to give them a full season to figure out how to fit in Hall and a new contract for Dahlin. One way or the other Adams will make it happen. And Tampa has shown that it is better to be top heavy then not. You can always plug and play your bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair D. You cannot plug and play the top 6. Hall wants to play for Krueger and he is loving having Eichel as his center. The Sabres got a superstar forward for FREE. They will keep him.

And I would say the Hall-Eichel duo is doing exactly how many of us predicted, leading the league in scoring. 2 of the 5 players with 6 points are Sabres, but Marner and Tavares played 4 games, not 3. So in actuality as of today 2 of the top 3 scoring leaders are Eichel and Hall. And Eichel hasn't even played to his full potential, he has actually been average the first 3 games. It is going to be real scary once Eichel is playing at his top form.

Actually if people listened and connected the dots during last season they would have had Buffalo as a top destination due to Krueger and Eichel. Its ok though, fans were mad at Hall for signing here in the first place and they can be mad again when they see the thread for his extension after the expansion draft.

And Like I already said, if you actually watched the behind the scenes on the Hall signing, Hall and his agent were the one's who wanted to sign for more then 1 year. Buffalo opted for 1 so they can move some contracts around and sign him for a long term deal after this season instead of a 2 or 3 year deal before this current season. The Sabres want Hall here for 6-7 years, not 2 or 3.

Uh we're top heavy cap but those contracts are on great value, don't mistake those 2 things as to why you should be blowing your cap out. Bottom 6's can make or break a team, treating them as plug and play is why most teams struggle, almost every team has good scorers, most teams lack depth.

No offense but Buffalo is doing exactly how everyone thought, you don't exactly have a winning record right now. Buffalo is pretty much a worse version of Edmonton, I'm not sure why anyone would be scarred when you see the McDavid Draisaitl combo losing games regularly and they're much better than Hall and Eichel.

Buffalo definitely wants Hall but depending on how the season goes, Halls priorities might shift to winning if he ends up on another lottery team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think the goal is to get the team to win consistently for a change. They need to win to make Eichel happy and if they win then Hall will likely also be happy and that gives them a better chance at re signing him after the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->