Speculation: What is Buffalo's end game with Taylor Hall?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Trade Hall for a minimal return (i.e. 2nd/3rd + C prospect) unless they're clearly making the playoffs.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Most likely, they want to see if Hall can re-capture his half season of glory. If he does, they'll decide on a trade or re-signing. If he doesn't, they'll part ways and look to the next over-priced free agent to try and make Eichel happy.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Obvious answer to this one:

Buffalo's goal is to win and keep Hall.

Yeah I mean that is really the only answer

1. Sign Hall to improve your team
2. Simultaneously improve existing player's production and spirit (namely Eichel and other core pieces)
3. Win as many hockey games as possible - the goal being the Cup, like every other team that isn't in a rebuild

How this season plays out might mean they decide to move him if there is a situation that works since he does have an NMC currently, but I would think that their "end game" with Taylor Hall is to win the Cup and re-sign him to a longer contract

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Convince him to sign long term.

Yup, I think that's clearly plan A. We know he likes Kreuger. Does he like Buffalo? Can he help turn the team around? Can the Sabres manage another large long-term contract? Those are, I think, the questions to be answered by both sides over the next few months.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Trade Hall for a minimal return (i.e. 2nd/3rd + C prospect) unless they're clearly making the playoffs.
I’m assuming this a joke, particularly the “clearly” part. Buffalo would keep Hall even if they were close but in 5th or 6th place and I’m not sure why a 3rd + C prospect would change their mind if that’s the alternative.

Reactions: Team Cozens

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I’m assuming this a joke, particularly the “clearly” part. Buffalo would keep Hall even if they were close but in 5th or 6th place and I’m not sure why a 3rd + C prospect would change their mind if that’s the alternative.

I guess it depends on what the arrangement was. Hall was pretty clear he wanted to play on a contender this year, but none of them could afford him so Buffalo with a NMC was his plan B. Maybe he's content not playing in the playoffs again this year, but it would've been discussed before Hall signed the deal. In my opinion, the NMC signifies that Hall wants to choose his destination at the deadline and Buffalo was willing to give him that option. I could be wrong, but I don't see why he chose Buffalo over other teams unless he was able to negotiate a little handshake deal as well.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I guess it depends on what the arrangement was. Hall was pretty clear he wanted to play on a contender this year, but none of them could afford him so Buffalo with a NMC was his plan B. Maybe he's content not playing in the playoffs again this year, but it would've been discussed before Hall signed the deal. In my opinion, the NMC signifies that Hall wants to choose his destination at the deadline and Buffalo was willing to give him that option. I could be wrong, but I don't see why he chose Buffalo over other teams unless he was able to negotiate a little handshake deal as well.
I don’t agree about any handshake deal. The NMC is so Hall can stop any trade, that’s a luxury a desirable UFA gets, but he’s there to help get Buffalo into the playoffs. That’s what they’re paying him millions of dollars to do. If he wanted to play for a different team then he would have signed a different contract.

Obviously if the Sabres are hopelessly out of it Hall would presumably want a trade and it would likely make sense for Buffalo. However if the Sabres are in a playoff race, and that includes fighting for the last spot, I’m convinced they’ll keep Hall and try to make it. Hall signed with this team knowing the playoffs are the only goal here. The goal isn’t assets from a Hall trade, that’s the worst case scenario.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don’t agree about any handshake deal. The NMC is so Hall can stop any trade, that’s a luxury a desirable UFA gets, but he’s there to help get Buffalo into the playoffs. That’s what they’re paying him millions of dollars to do. If he wanted to play for a different team then he would have signed a different contract.

Obviously if the Sabres are hopelessly out of it Hall would presumably want a trade and it would likely make sense for Buffalo. However if the Sabres are in a playoff race, and that includes fighting for the last spot, I’m convinced they’ll keep Hall and try to make it. Hall signed with this team knowing the playoffs are the only goal here. The goal isn’t assets from a Hall trade, that’s the worst case scenario.

I get that point of view as well, and it could realistically be what happened. But IMO, unless other teams like Boston, Columbus, etc. weren't willing to give Hall the same $ deal (which I doubt since they made cap space for a big name FA) then I don't see any other reason he would've chose Buffalo unless he was completely bullshitting about wanting to play in the playoffs/contender.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If the Sabres continue to suck they can make two very big trades separately with Eichel and Hall. But what makes Hall a lot more interesting is Buffalo could ask for a lot more leverage from the other team trading for him because they can retain half his salary and bring in a big haul considering contenders don't have much cap space.

Eichel I believe will be traded to a playoff-bound contender in need of a franchise centreman, likely the New York Rangers. Which I also see him bringing in a large haul to the Sabres.

But other than that, I think Hall has been an amazing fit with the Sabres in terms of playing style and coaching. And if all works well with the Sabres, which I hope because I believe they suffered enough, then all stays and goes well. But if not, they still have Cozens and Dahlin to build around, which is a good thing because I see Cozens being their face and captain.

But what Buffalo needs to do is find a way to buyout Skinner and Okposo, but also find a genuine starting goaltender whereas they missed their chance with Matt Murray.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I doubt Buffalo will have much of a say in what happens to Hall, unless they trade him at the TDL.
Hall wants to play for a contender and Buffalo isn't it.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If the Sabres continue to suck they can make two very big trades separately with Eichel and Hall. But what makes Hall a lot more interesting is Buffalo could ask for a lot more leverage from the other team trading for him because they can retain half his salary and bring in a big haul considering contenders don't have much cap space.

Eichel I believe will be traded to a playoff-bound contender in need of a franchise centreman, likely the New York Rangers. Which I also see him bringing in a large haul to the Sabres.

But other than that, I think Hall has been an amazing fit with the Sabres in terms of playing style and coaching. And if all works well with the Sabres, which I hope because I believe they suffered enough, then all stays and goes well. But if not, they still have Cozens and Dahlin to build around, which is a good thing because I see Cozens being their face and captain.

But what Buffalo needs to do is find a way to buyout Skinner and Okposo, but also find a genuine starting goaltender whereas they missed their chance with Matt Murray.

Quiet! Don’t start Eichel with the Rangers again!! We all know he’s only worth Smith, Lemieux, a B-level D prospect and maybe a 4th.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

WTF :facepalm:

if buffalo trades Eichel it would be two a western team.

buffalo has a very good prospect goalie in UPL who was part of a WJC gold medal Finland team that medaled in 2019. He’s in yr 2 of an ELC

they do not need a goalie like Murray. This offseason the need to decide on a veteran goalie to sign on a shorter term deal to bridge to UPL who could be the starter in 2023-24season and playing back up in 21/22 and 22/23.

they will not be trading Eichel in mid season. If he was traded it would be near the draft.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I wonder if Hall's plan is to sign short deals like this until the cap goes up

Overall, I think the Sabres just wanted to take a shot at making the playoffs and had the opportunity to add an elite offensive player...so why not?

Reactions: sufferer

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
WTF :facepalm:

if buffalo trades Eichel it would be two a western team.

buffalo has a very good prospect goalie in UPL who was part of a WJC gold medal Finland team that medaled in 2019. He’s in yr 2 of an ELC

they do not need a goalie like Murray. This offseason the need to decide on a veteran goalie to sign on a shorter term deal to bridge to UPL who could be the starter in 2023-24season and playing back up in 21/22 and 22/23.

they will not be trading Eichel in mid season. If he was traded it would be near the draft.

1) If BUF takes a lesser offer because they don't want to face Eichel in the east, then they are stupid. IF you deal Eichel you take the best offer you can get. Period. Don't be scared of the player you deal away.

2) LOL at counting on a guy who hasn't even had a good AHL season to be a starter in 2023. Maybe wait and see if he can be a good AHL starter, and a good NHL backup before deciding that you don't need to improve in net (all the while missing out on the playoffs again). Winning a gold for Finland in the WJC is nice. But the last goalies to do it were Kahkonen and Vehvilainen in 2016. Kahkonen is just now on an NHL roster and Minny isn't counting on him being a full time starter.

Any GM refusing to improve a position because of a player who MIGHT be ready in 2 or 3 years isn't going to be around to see that player.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Trade him for the most value possible if they don't make the playoffs
Try to win the whole damn thing with him if they make them

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
trade him now so you go on to win some games and get free prospects out of it

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Buffalo signs him long term I can't see Hall signing for less than Skinner who is much worse and makes $9 million. I mean if I am Sam Reinhart I also don't take less, but he will.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Re-sign him long term?
Trade him at the deadline to bolster their prospects/draft picks?
Ride him out to possibly slide into the playoffs?

What do you think?
all of the above...talk to him about extending...if he says no and they are out of the playoffs trade him if they are in the playoffs ride it out.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Doesn't Hall have a No Movement Clause?

Which was probably agreed upon so that he can dictate where he ends up. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he told them already where he wants to go if they are out of it. The whole contract looks like a worthwhile gamble on Sabers' part, they either get a very good player that will help them make the playoffs, or they get a very good player they can liquidate into more assets. But with that being said, the return could be unimpressive if he limits their options a lot.

Reactions: PAZ

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Win, make playoffs, attach him to Eichels hip. Make him want to re-sign. Sabres nation is insane and would be an unreal playoff atmosphere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad