What is blashill doing with Howard and Mrazek?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Both goalies have been inconsistent this year.

That's a real problem.

But they've also been solid overall, I'd say around league average, maybe even a tick above. Basically if they had played bad we'd be out of the playoffs, if they had played lights out we'd be leading the division, but now they've been solid and we're bubbling.

That being said, I think we'll see more Mrazek down the stretch. The tandem system has worked out alright, we've kept them both in game shape, healthy and the team is above water. Now it's time to take it up a notch.

Hunting Bow*

Congrats. So they are both playing fairly average. What on earth makes you deadset sure to put Mrazek number 1 and Howard to backup given Howard has been doing the job for near on 5 years and Mrazek still hasnt managed to run a full season in I dont know how long....

You are the one insisting that Mrazek should be clear and obvious number 1 with Howard relegated to playing every 5 games. I would think it would be on your to prove why it should be. I just decided to go one step further and show you why you are wrong.

Until one of the two shows a continuous clear cut advantage over the other, there is no reason to run with 1.

Howard's career is HORRIBLY inconsistent. He's no longer a number 1. At least in Detroit.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's a crime that Mrazek gets the L tonight. This stat is so incredibly flawed in the NHL, and needs to be changed. Howard lays an egg, completely responsible for the loss, yet Mrazek gets the L in his stats. That's unfair.

Nobody cares about W-L, so it doesn't matter.

I remember when people got so mad in a game where Osgood played poorly and Conklin ended up getting the L because of it. I didn't care then and I don't care now.

Hunting Bow*

Nobody cares about W-L, so it doesn't matter.

I remember when people got so mad in a game where Osgood played poorly and Conklin ended up getting the L because of it. I didn't care then and I don't care now.

To your point! A loss is a loss, but how they got loss is the subject.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It's a crime that Mrazek gets the L tonight. This stat is so incredibly flawed in the NHL, and needs to be changed. Howard lays an egg, completely responsible for the loss, yet Mrazek gets the L in his stats. That's unfair.

Agreed, I don't get why it doesn't work like with pitchers in baseball.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
I wasn't a fan of split starts going into the season and I'm still not.

Would rather run with the hot hand for as long as each one runs hot. Let them duke it out for starts that way. Oh you're bummed you don't get to start? Well keep working hard in practice, improve, and when the other goalie faulters (which always happens) take the reigns and RUN. Rinse, repeat.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
But they've also been solid overall, I'd say around league average, maybe even a tick above. Basically if they had played bad we'd be out of the playoffs, if they had played lights out we'd be leading the division, but now they've been solid and we're bubbling.

That being said, I think we'll see more Mrazek down the stretch. The tandem system has worked out alright, we've kept them both in game shape, healthy and the team is above water. Now it's time to take it up a notch.

I'd be curious to see how many goalies aren't inconsistent throughout a year. I just looked at Lundquist and Price for the past few years, and both usually have stretches where they appear to have struggled, others where they dominate, and it averages out. I think the number of goalies who have consistently went out and played 55+ at relatively the same decent level - excluding goalies who just routinely played poorly - wouldn't be that great.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mrazek is the better and more talented goalie. It's kind of obvious. He should get the majority of starts even if he lays a stinker once in awhile. All goalies do that, FYI. But he gives us the best chance to win without a doubt.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Mrazek is the better and more talented goalie. It's kind of obvious. He should get the majority of starts even if he lays a stinker once in awhile. All goalies do that, FYI. But he gives us the best chance to win without a doubt.

Mrazek and Howard started splitting starts (Mrazek getting a couple more, though), then Howard started to falter, and before Mrazek could start getting a bunch of starts he started to falter, then Howard had a couple good showings. With this recent game I'm sure Blashill is going to be more reliant on Mrazek like he was for a stretch earlier in the season.

Don't see an issue with how he has managed the goaltenders this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mrazek and Howard started splitting starts (Mrazek getting a couple more, though), then Howard started to falter, and before Mrazek could start getting a bunch of starts he started to falter, then Howard had a couple good showings. With this recent game I'm sure Blashill is going to be more reliant on Mrazek like he was for a stretch earlier in the season.

Don't see an issue with how he has managed the goaltenders this year.

I'd give Mrazek 70-75% of the starts, and I think we will/would have a better record because of it.

Actual Thought*

Blashill's handling of the goaltenders worries me less than how he handles almost everyone else. When you think about it the goalies are pretty much the only players playing as well as they have before. The regression in almost every other facet of the team worries me more than his inability to choose a starting goaltender.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
If we had a defense, scoring, or better size this wouldn't even be a discussion. Our goalie tandem is well above average performance wise and below average cap wise.

Fix the craptastic defense and the goaltending would be elite from BOTH players.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Let us lure Lidstrom out of retirement. Tease him with more norris trophies since he will still win them :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like the split, I think both guys are going to be very healthy and ready to go come the playoffs. I do think right now Mrazek has the nod as the guy come the post-season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think the sweet spot is a 50-30 split. The starter is still playing 20 more games, he should be well-paced for playoffs, and the backup is involved plenty to stay sharp.

At this point I'd give Mrazek the 50 games and feel very comfortable having Howard play 30.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I will help with some reasons why Mrazek isnt the number 1.

DEC 22 '15 NJD @ DET L 1 11 10 .909 43:57
DEC 05 '15 NSH @ DET W 4 32 28 .875 61:38
DEC 01 '15 BUF @ DET W 4 32 28 .875 65:00
NOV 25 '15 BOS @ DET O 3 22 19 .864 63:32
NOV 14 '15 DET @ BOS L 3 31 28 .903 57:38
OCT 27 '15 CAR @ DET L 2 20 18 .900 59:10
OCT 21 '15 DET @ EDM L 3 28 25 .893 56:42

Thats 7 games out of 20 where he would be considered sub-par. Mrazek is not consistent.

Hard to be consistent unless you're playing consistently

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I think the sweet spot is a 50-30 split. The starter is still playing 20 more games, he should be well-paced for playoffs, and the backup is involved plenty to stay sharp.

At this point I'd give Mrazek the 50 games and feel very comfortable having Howard play 30.

i dont know anything about goaltending other than it's a freaking hard job. However I do know any tasks that require that much superhuman concentration do require some regular maintenance to keep the edge.

I just think it's hard to name starter this season and I dont think one bad game here and there is an indication to how Howard or Mrazek will play rest of the season. I somewhat agree that we could ride the hot hand but not to a point where we are running him to the ground like Babcock did last season. But then, I'm happy with the split as well.

Sometimes, our O sucks, other times it's our D, other times, our goalie is less than perfect. Games like this happen. actually often serve as a good motivator for next game, if he believes in himself.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Its pretty obvious that people just don't like jimmy, both goalies have been good enough. Goaltending isn't our biggest problem this season.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
This talk about being inconsistent.. I mean just take a look at any of the goalies in this league, look at lundqvist he's been inconsistent was well imo. But i think giving Howard the starts against team he's know to play bad against is just silly, i'm not against starting him but i mean there have been some really really questionable starts this season imo.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Its pretty obvious that people just don't like jimmy, both goalies have been good enough. Goaltending isn't our biggest problem this season.

Ya people for whatever reason have a bias hatred towards him. When he has been consistently great while healthy.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I will help with some reasons why Mrazek isnt the number 1.

DEC 22 '15 NJD @ DET L 1 11 10 .909 43:57
DEC 05 '15 NSH @ DET W 4 32 28 .875 61:38
DEC 01 '15 BUF @ DET W 4 32 28 .875 65:00
NOV 25 '15 BOS @ DET O 3 22 19 .864 63:32
NOV 14 '15 DET @ BOS L 3 31 28 .903 57:38
OCT 27 '15 CAR @ DET L 2 20 18 .900 59:10
OCT 21 '15 DET @ EDM L 3 28 25 .893 56:42

Thats 7 games out of 20 where he would be considered sub-par. Mrazek is not consistent.

Even in those 7 games he went 2-4 (1 Howard's loss).

Mrazek is 10-6-3
Howard is 7-4-4

Sv% Mrazek is top 10, Howard bottom 10, huge difference .
But I want them both to play. Maybe Mrazek 50, Howard 32, as someone mentioned.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Even in those 7 games he went 2-4 (1 Howard's loss).

Mrazek is 10-6-3
Howard is 7-4-4

Sv% Mrazek is top 10, Howard bottom 10, huge difference .
But I want them both to play. Maybe Mrazek 50, Howard 32, as someone mentioned.

Blashill is basically Ken Holland's lap dog, however it will be interesting to see if Blashill rides Mrazek hard when the playoff streak is at stake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Ya people for whatever reason have a bias hatred towards him. When he has been consistently great while healthy.

But he isn't consistently healthy. It's just the reason he is inconsistent.

People had a 'hatred' for Osgood when he had groin issues, and he was fairly fresh off a cup victory. I don't see why it would be different for Howard. It's not 'hate', it's more like lack of faith. I know I look at Howards next injury as when and not if. The tandem certainly helps avoid it. I don't think anyone would have enough faith in Howards health to move Mrazek or even give Howard the bulk of the work?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad