What is Army waiting for? and What are the needs?

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/419677

This article does a good job of highlighting the difference between the kind of game a guy like Berglund brings in comparison to a guy like Stewart. Berglund is clearly more versatile and valuable when not scoring...we had a few years of witnessing that despite Stewart's offensive pedigree.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's not that different.

It's enormously different.

When it comes to evaluating players, you simply can't accurately gauge a player without seeing him in person. When you watch on television, you see where the puck is, that is always the focus. When you watch in person, you can watch a player, shift by shift to see how they play with and without the puck, their speed, their gap control, how long their shifts are, how hard they back check, how engaged they are.

To say it's not that different than watching on TV really speaks volumes about your ability to assess a players worth and the value of your opinion.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What does that have to do with our disagreement? I said Berglune goes to the hard areas. That's easily seen because that's where the puck is.

Actually, no.

If the puck is being controlled in the corner, or along the boards, on television you won't see a player driving hard to the net, or battling for position in front of the net, or how engaged they are to hold their ground. Going to the tough areas is not where the puck is. Going to the tough areas is where the puck is going to be for a tip, deflect, rebound or quick shot.

You are giving a perfect example of why you are dead wrong yet, amazingly, you think you are giving an example of why you are right.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It's enormously different.

When it comes to evaluating players, you simply can't accurately gauge a player without seeing him in person. When you watch on television, you see where the puck is, that is always the focus. When you watch in person, you can watch a player, shift by shift to see how they play with and without the puck, their speed, their gap control, how long their shifts are, how hard they back check, how engaged they are.

To say it's not that different than watching on TV really speaks volumes about your ability to assess a players worth and the value of your opinion.

Actually, no.

If the puck is being controlled in the corner, or along the boards, on television you won't see a player driving hard to the net, or battling for position in front of the net, or how engaged they are to hold their ground. Going to the tough areas is not where the puck is. Going to the tough areas is where the puck is going to be for a tip, deflect, rebound or quick shot.

You are giving a perfect example of why you are dead wrong yet, amazingly, you think you are giving an example of why you are right.

I've seen enough of Berglund live over his 7 years with this team to know exactly what I'm talking about.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Actually, no.

Umm, actually you can. What? Do you even watch hockey?

Pretty much the entire offensive zone is in view on the television when the puck is in play there. If there's a battle in the corner, you can obviously still see the front of the net unless the camera changes to just show the corner battle, but that's only a select few times.

Sure there are some differences between in-person and on TV, but not to the extent you are talking. You're acting like you literally can't see a thing on TV, which is mind-boggling wrong.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I feel like everyone in here has a slightly different working definition of what's being discussed, which is leading to a lot of the disagreement.

Berglund doesn't crush people with hits, and he almost never drives the middle of the ice when he has the puck. I think the latter fault is much worse than the former, personally.

On the other hand, he does routinely drive the net without the puck (center lane drive, etc.), and engage physically in battles along the boards in every zone and in front of the nets (although he's done less of the latter in the offensive zone with Jaskin around, since Jaskin does his best work there and usually goes there himself).

His warts and cost ultimately make him expendable, but I think he contributes more to the team than he's generally given credit for around here.

kagei

Apr 14, 2014
STL
I feel like everyone in here has a slightly different working definition of what's being discussed, which is leading to a lot of the disagreement.

Berglund doesn't crush people with hits, and he almost never drives the middle of the ice when he has the puck. I think the latter fault is much worse than the former, personally.

On the other hand, he does routinely drive the net without the puck (center lane drive, etc.), and engage physically in battles along the boards in every zone and in front of the nets (although he's done less of the latter in the offensive zone with Jaskin around, since Jaskin does his best work there and usually goes there himself).

His warts and cost ultimately make him expendable, but I think he contributes more to the team than he's generally given credit for around here.

Bergy has warts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad