What is Army waiting for? and What are the needs?

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
I don't seem to understand this at the moment. The two teams around us NSH and CHI have made major moves to put themselves in a better position then they were in before. However, this year isn't like last where we are getting a goalie. We are most likely if we are going to make a deal getting a FWD or maybe a D? Why not do what the Pens did with Perron and let the player we get acclimated with the guys and gain chemistry instead of waiting till the last possible minute, when not much is left on the market besides Chris Stewart and Zuccarello. Now i feel like we have put ourselves in a tough spot.

Needs:

3rd line player:
I wouldn't mind honestly bringing Stewart back cheap to play with Paul. Sounds crazy but the guy had his most success with him 30 goals....just saying. However, I doubt this happens (Just using this as an example since we don't know what is truly left). Please spare me with the Berglund is playing so well talk and how he should stay there. I guess ill have to remind all you when he goes 20-25 games unnoticed again. Remember to Berglund finished a backdoor pass from one of the best playmakers in the league and he chipped in on a secondary assist versus one of the WORST teams in the NHL. He makes 3.7 million to produce more than he is. Sobotka would have been better in terms of his versatility and all the small things he does. He wanted 3.0.....we gave Berglund 3.7. No wonder Sobi was pissed. Anywho, with the emergence of Jaskin the line just needs one more capable player to play with Stastny to put us over the top. Not asking for Ovi or Stamkos. I have said even a guy like Bryan Bickell, Lucic or even a Dustin Penner the last few years would have made a huge difference on this team. Those guys are all great playoff players due to their size.

A physical D-man:
Our top 4 and especially top 2 have got to be the softest in the West. I have said before a dman like Phaneuf and i know it sounds crazy but his style would be perfect with a petro or bo. At the moment every top team in the West has a physical mean dman (Doughty/Greene....Weber/Franson....Seabrook) etc....

If I'm far off let me know but i think this is what we are lacking...

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
stopped reading after Stewart. Would rather have Jaskin there by a long shot. In fact, unless a move comes out of left field, none of the rumored to be available forwards strike me as worth it.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
stopped reading after Stewart. Would rather have Jaskin there by a long shot. In fact, unless a move comes out of left field, none of the rumored to be available forwards strike me as worth it.

Its not a Stewart over Jaskin. Its more of a Stewart over Berglund. As I said.....Im not even saying Stewart for sure. I don't know who else is available because of of who is left?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Its not a Stewart over Jaskin. Its more of a Stewart over Berglund. As I said.....Im not even saying Stewart for sure. I don't know who else is available because of of who is left?

Ok well I'd also rather have Berglund there than Stewart, also by a long shot. Like you said there isn't really any wingers available that would be A. easily acquirable and 2. a noticeable upgrade

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I really don't think Chicago "improved" in any way. Adding Vermette is nice, Timmonen is a complete unknown at this point, and guess what? They're without their most talented forward until the WCF. The 20's line is working and the Stewart ship has sailed. If Army wants to go out and get another D man a la Petry, I'd be ok with it. But look at what teams are paying right now. It's a sellers market. I'd be perfectly content standing pat, getting Shatty back, and going into the playoffs as is.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Army gave away quite a bit in the Ryan Miller deal. We simply can't afford to pay the prices that the other teams are paying this season. We also don't have a pressing need in my opinion as long as the Berglund Stastny Jaskin line is playing well and Shattenkirk is still on track to be back in the playoffs. I'd like a right handed Dman to balance out the bottom pairing, but other than that I like our team. If things don't go well during the playoffs, then it's time to make a move. Chicago did nothing at the deadline last year and they were just fine. Army made his moves last summer. If we make a trade I expect it to be a rather small one. We just don't have a glaring hole to fill(again, this is assuming Shatty will return).

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
With Jaškin playing so very will, and the whole line with Stastny and Berglund clicking well together, and bringing in Cracknell for added depth, The Blues don't need to add a forward, especially given that they need to add a competent 2-way defenceman without giving up a roster player.

I think they'll try to trade Sobotka's rights and a mid round draft choice or 2nd tier prospect foe Petry or another 2nd pairing defenceman. The problem with trading Sobotka's rights to a losing team is that Sobotka will not likely agree to sign with them, and a trading team will need to hear from Sobotka to confirm or deny that. and only one day is left to contact him in Russia. So, unless The Blues have already been working on that trade, and the receiving team has already gotten a verbal committment from Sobotka, nothing will happen regarding his rights.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

What has Stewart done to make you think he could add ANYTHING to this team? If you're going to go back to the scoring he showed years ago with Stastny in Colorado, I'm going to stop you right there. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
With the emergence of Jaskin we dont really need another winger unless its a clear upgrade over Berglund, which I dont really think is out there to be honest.

If anything we might add another dman for the bottom pair but thats really all I see us doing.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
the deals being done so far are terrible for the buyers. Chicago is getting bent over, and just staying neutral is good enough for me.

The only plausible move I'd consider would be something along the lines of Ott/lindstrom+Rattie+Mid round pick (3 or 4) for Cammaleri retained, but in this market he will fetch more than that.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I would wager Army is waiting until the market shrinks to make a move. It's a high sell point, but the more people off the market the remaining sellers have less bidders. The deadline makes GMs make nervous moves. So, even if it is a sellers market, all Army needs is someone to flinch. He doesn't need to make a move like many teams. The slow play is his best approach, especially with his stupid move for Miller and Ott last year. Less assets mean less room for risk.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Erik Cole is available. No idea if Dallas would trade within division..and don't really know the price but he's a major upgrade to Berglund, and he's on the block.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The Blues are fine as is. They don't NEED anything. If a deal can be made to improve the team that won't cost too much, then fine, go for it. But the Blues don't need to make a deal just because CHI and NSH did.

Regarding the rumored pieces out there, are they really better than what we already have? Not really IMO.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Blues need to make a move. Bring back Stewart.
And Roy.

But seriously I think that our playoff gear is when all lines are clicking. Each line had it's finest hours and we just need them to do it again alltogether in the playoffs.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
And Roy.

But seriously I think that our playoff gear is when all lines are clicking. Each line had it's finest hours and we just need them to do it again alltogether in the playoffs.

Why do we always have to be in this position around this time of year. Each line produces like crazy at some point of the season which is fine and all but its regular season. There's no telling whose ever gonna actually step up and take over come playoff time.

wish we had some automatic players like Williams or something in the playoffs

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Everything is too expensive for a marginal upgrade. A 3rd line winger and 6th D-man are not going to win you the cup. We have a theoretical window for at least a couple years. No need to panic.

byfuglien

Mar 23, 2014
Europe
Wouldnt mind a D man who can shoot. Nothing going to happen though, and Pieto/jaybo will continue to shoot like a drunk sailors in the playoffs, while Elliott/Allen ships their regular ones. It will be tight, but we will fall to LA in the 1 round (cant be hawks every year!.) Just a matter of time, its like a fine swiss clockwork.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Everything is too expensive for a marginal upgrade. A 3rd line winger and 6th D-man are not going to win you the cup. We have a theoretical window for at least a couple years. No need to panic.

The player the Blues acquire would never win them the cup by themselves. It's just a matter of adding the right pieces to your 23 man roster that will give you the best shot at competing. Sure, we could run with what we have but why not give up some futures for someone ready to help now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad