Speculation: What if...

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
The way I see it:

2010: Hall was and is better than Seguin, completely right pick.
2011: Because we took winger, we needed center. RNH was the right pick.
2012: I wanted Murray.
2013: Because we took Yakupov instead of Murray, taking a defender was the right choice.

3/4 in my eyes.

My thoughts:

2010: Hall and Seguin are equal; but the edge goes to Seguin given he is a center. That was our greatest need at the time, but management was blinded by the fact we had Shawn Firken Horcoff and Sam Geryah. How does one complain about getting Hall though. He is a beast.

2011: Land's was the better player, but because of the weakness up the middle, taking RNH seemed to make sense. But when you compare his stats from junior to those Draisaitl, Reinhart, Bennett like we've seen all year, he was not and is not a 1A center in this league. He is more likely a 1B option.

It comes down to are Hall + RNH >= Lands + Seguin. I give the slight edge to Lands + Seguin. But it's not enough of an edge to say unequivocally that we made the wrong choices.

2012: Here is where the problem begin. Once again upper management (KLowe)/ ownership (Harold Ballard) stuck their fingers in the pie and thought they knew better. Murray was the scouts choices and selecting Yak center staged one of the greatest weaknesses the of the organization.

2013: Nichushkin or Ristolainen both would of been better choices than Nurse. I am seriously thinking Nurse could become the Marc Antoinne Pouliot of the 2013 draft class.

2014: I like Draisaitl, but we are going to seriously regret not taking Bennett in a few years. The Flames rebuild will be better than the Oilers and take a fraction of the time. Next year McDavid will become a Flame.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Comparing Nurse to MA Pouliot is pretty random.

Really, they didn't take BPA, and he isn't trending the way many of his peers are. Of course management will say nothing but glowing things about him, but until he is on NHL ice, I am somewhat skeptical. Remember trading down, away from the spot Parise was taken.

Also the context of what was said:

"....Nurse could become the Marc Antoinne Pouliot of the 2013 draft class."

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Things would have been WAY different.

All the alnternatives are way more proven.

Seguin has had several seasons better than Hall
Landeskog is already that PPG selke winger we need
Nichuskin is already one of the best wingers in the game, while Nurse cant crack a WJC squad. He wasnt able to go ppg in the friggin OHL. Dude will be lucky to make the NHL.
Murray has had mutliple norris level seasons, while Yak only is able to tie rookie scoring lead, cant win it outright

We would have been discussing the parade for our 2nd cup, no questions

I see what you did there!:laugh:

You had me seething there for a minute. :nod:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wanted Seguin and fought for him right up until the day before the draft when they showed oil change. It was close enough that when Hall said " Thats the team i want to draft me" that flipped me. It was not a politically correct thing, risky, thing for him to say. I liked Seguin slightly more all year...he didnt have the skill around him like hall and infact seguin had the attitude that everyone said hall would have. That walk of power and confidence. Seguin just beamed confidence and was at combine ripped. I flipped and was happy to draft Hall and was even more pleased we tried to get both.
I wasnt prepared to give up Eberle and Hemsky AND a first for seguin. Lots of people would have. I wouldnt have then. Eberle was dominating everywhere he went and i still believe in him.
I would have tried very very hard to keep eberle and our first out of it but obviously there would be no real assets left.

The way SOME...a loud minority...hall supporters would blindly call seguin a pansy and a daigle and predict him to bust. I got flashbacks this year when bennett supporters would bash leon. There was lots of people sitting on the fence...at least in the seguin threads i made to try to open discussion and less mindless bashing. The seguin supporters i dont recall bashing hall (the main arguments was hall being wing mostly and surrounded by talent...every seguin believer believed it was close and there wasnt going to be a bust), but half the posters who wanted hall( and not sitting on fence or saying they were close)said seguin would crash and burn. It was very interesting to observe.
There was alot ALOT of vitriol and people going mad over the possibility the oilers having the audacity to pick seguin.
All in all i think a wide majority wanted both...but again most agreed price of eberle and our 1st added to hemsky (who wed all have been happy to see go for that return) was too rich.
Seguin being a centre was a part of why i wanted him too. I swayed to him because i saw him drag a bad team...like i saw leon drag a bad team. I like that "hop on boys" attitude. gutsy.

I wanted to trade the yak pick but i doubt there were good offers out there. I wanted yak if we did draft that spot. I would like to know the offers that were on the table.

Nurse was a good pick. Yes i wanted nichublahblah but i understood the d issue. Still a solid pick. In the long run we needed more prospects on d. Marincin has exceeded what many felt he would be. I remember lots of people not even mentioning marincin last year when listing d prospects. The media even did it when interviewing mact and mact had to drop his name.
I was sitting on the fence between the two leaning towards Hall until I saw the Oil Change episode too. Leading up to that all I heard was how smooth Seguin was in the media and how awkward Hall was. I loved Hall's answers in his interviews and I was very uncomfortable with Seguin's answers. I got the feeling that Hall wanted to be an Oiler and Seguin wanted to be drafted first overall. It could have just been the way it was edited but that was the feeling I got. I was relieved when the Oilers went with Hall.

Now with having the benefit of hindsight I wonder how impactful Seguin would have been here. His problems in Boston were well documented. Would he be the driver of this team that Hall is or would his off ice behavior in this fish bowl market been too much for him? He's a great player but I'm not sure he would have been here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Really, they didn't take BPA, and he isn't trending the way many of his peers are. Of course management will say nothing but glowing things about him, but until he is on NHL ice, I am somewhat skeptical. Remember trading down, away from the spot Parise was taken.

Also the context of what was said:

"....Nurse could become the Marc Antoinne Pouliot of the 2013 draft class."

Possibly the weirdest comparison I've ever seen made on these boards.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
At this point, there shouldn't be any talk of the Hall and Sequin thing.

It's pretty clear to me who the victor in that little battle is. And will be given his work ethic and overall hockey knowledge and skill set. Not to mention intestinal fortitude.

Heck, I don't even have to say his name.

It's that obvious.

oilz89*

My thoughts:

2010: Hall and Seguin are equal; but the edge goes to Seguin given he is a center. That was our greatest need at the time, but management was blinded by the fact we had Shawn Firken Horcoff and Sam Geryah. How does one complain about getting Hall though. He is a beast.

2011: Land's was the better player, but because of the weakness up the middle, taking RNH seemed to make sense. But when you compare his stats from junior to those Draisaitl, Reinhart, Bennett like we've seen all year, he was not and is not a 1A center in this league. He is more likely a 1B option.

It comes down to are Hall + RNH >= Lands + Seguin. I give the slight edge to Lands + Seguin. But it's not enough of an edge to say unequivocally that we made the wrong choices.

2012: Here is where the problem begin. Once again upper management (KLowe)/ ownership (Harold Ballard) stuck their fingers in the pie and thought they knew better. Murray was the scouts choices and selecting Yak center staged one of the greatest weaknesses the of the organization.

2013: Nichushkin or Ristolainen both would of been better choices than Nurse. I am seriously thinking Nurse could become the Marc Antoinne Pouliot of the 2013 draft class.

2014: I like Draisaitl, but we are going to seriously regret not taking Bennett in a few years. The Flames rebuild will be better than the Oilers and take a fraction of the time. Next year McDavid will become a Flame.

so.... you want to keep being the suck of the league so we can get McDavid... aren't you SICK of sucking??? I Swear the NHL should change this stupid rule. You're saying we should suck on purpose to get him. So Calgary is smart because the'yre going to continue to suck so they can "cheat" into getting a player like McDavid. I say to hell with that. Enough losing i want playoffs. No more thrusting 18 year old kids onto the team. Btw RNH will be a #1centre the guy hasn't even hit his prime how can you say that after 3 seasons, one in which he played injured for the whole year?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
At this point, there shouldn't be any talk of the Hall and Sequin thing.

It's pretty clear to me who the victor in that little battle is. And will be given his work ethic and overall hockey knowledge and skill set. Not to mention intestinal fortitude.

Heck, I don't even have to say his name.

It's that obvious.

Nah man, Hall is going to play half his career on the IR, is a product of Eberle and Nuge, (Who are both awesome, until judged individually, then they all suck) will never develop any further than he already has, and uh, what else, uh and he has big lips

HF!

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
All of the picks we made were correct at the time they were made. The only one that was even close was Hall-Seguin...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
okay--I will play this game--I am going back to the Gagner draft

2007 entry draft we had THREE first rounders

1) Jamie Benn 2) P.K. Subban 3) Wayne Simmonds

We DO NOT SIGN PENNER so we have two first rounder

1) Jordan Eberle 2) Tyler Ennis

1) Ryan O'Reilly

1) HAll
1) Gabriel Landeskog
1) Griffin Reinhart

1) Valeri Nichushkin

1) Sam Bennett

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Oh_look_its_THIS_thread_again.jpg

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
WHAT IF some Oiler fans were actually smart?

comparing Nurse to Pouliot is Pejorative Slured....why? because he didnt make the WJC squad...remember when Tyler Seguin didnt either? just because you dont make that team doesnt mean you cant have a productive NHL career....how many players that played for the WJC never panned out in the NHL?

Plus, team Canada was looking for a more stay at home dman, iirc..so they took Chris Bigras

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Seguin, in this market and the gong show that this organization has been, would have been a disaster. He isn't professional enough to handle it. Hall, all the way.

RNH/Lando? not a big difference.
Yak/Murray? too early.

Nurse? ditto

Drai? ditto

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If the OP's father had rolled over that night 20-something years ago instead of putting the move on the OP's mother we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Unless someone else had started a similar thread.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers would have been worse.

Hall is still the better player, and he's also the more committed professional.

Seguin's immaturity and off ice issues would have been magnified in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad