Speculation: What if...

Jwat414

May 10, 2014
What would we look like if we would have went with,
Seguin instead of Hall
Landeskog instead of Nuge
Murray instead of yak
Nichushkin instead of nurse

Would be better worse or about the same tell me what you think?

I think the line combos would be crazy

Our top six would be Something like

Landeskog-seguin-eberle
Perron-draisaitl-Nichushkin

And our top four would be along the lines of

Fayne-petry
Murray-shcultz

Pretty cool

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Things would have been WAY different.

All the alnternatives are way more proven.

Seguin has had several seasons better than Hall
Landeskog is already that PPG selke winger we need
Nichuskin is already one of the best wingers in the game, while Nurse cant crack a WJC squad. He wasnt able to go ppg in the friggin OHL. Dude will be lucky to make the NHL.
Murray has had mutliple norris level seasons, while Yak only is able to tie rookie scoring lead, cant win it outright

We would have been discussing the parade for our 2nd cup, no questions

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What would we look like if we would have went with,
Seguin instead of Hall
Landeskog instead of Nuge
Murray instead of yak
Nichushkin instead of nurse

Would be better worse or about the same tell me what you think?

I think the line combos would be crazy

Our top six would be Something like

Landeskog-seguin-eberle
Perron-draisaitl-Nichushkin

And our top four would be along the lines of

Fayne-petry
Murray-shcultz

Pretty cool

oh look--this thread again

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Nichuskin is already one of the best wingers in the game, while Nurse cant crack a WJC squad. He wasnt able to go ppg in the friggin OHL. Dude will be lucky to make the NHL.
Murray has had mutliple norris level seasons, while Yak only is able to tie rookie scoring lead, cant win it outright

Inb4 this is taken seriously.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Without Hall we'd be much worse off. Hall drives our team. If Ovechkin plays RW next season, then I dare say Hall is the best LW in the league. Seguin isn't even a top 10 center in the NHL, is he?

Sure we'd love to have a power forward in our top 6, but Hopkins is a great 2-way player and we're all expecting a lot more out of him next season since he's had enough time to rest up and put on a little more weight.

Murray isn't a 1st pairing d-man, he isn't expected to turn into a 1st pairing d-man and he wasn't expected to turn into a 1st pairing d-man when he was drafted. Yakupov has some awesome moves on him and he was making a lot of mistakes over and over last year. It seemed like the coaching staff was doing a horrible job communicating with him, because he seems to care. He seems to want to win and he seems to want a lot more ice time. He's been working his butt off this off-season and I hope we see a newer better Yakupov. That was a really weak draft year.

When Edmonton went to the podium 2 drafts ago I knew we were getting one of those two players. I leaned towards Nurse because we don't have anything like him. He's a big strong punisher with offensive upside. I'm very happy to have him on the team. Yeah. He wasn't invited to the Canadian WJ team. It didn't make any sense whatsoever. He was in the middle of an awesome season and that whole season in the OHL was amazing for him. Anyone who criticizes him for what he hasn't done so far is a fool who hasn't followed his career. I'll be shocked if he makes the NHL this season. He'll have to push Marincin out and I don't see that happening.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
What if's are useless. No GM in their right mind would have drafted those players over what the Oilers did.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What if's are useless. No GM in their right mind would have drafted those players over what the Oilers did.

Yup. At every draft the GMs went with the guy the TV was telling us was the best guy.

Every year the TV claimed that GM's or scouts from most teams favoured the players we chose.

So there is no what ifs.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
The way I see it:

2010: Hall was and is better than Seguin, completely right pick.
2011: Because we took winger, we needed center. RNH was the right pick.
2012: I wanted Murray.
2013: Because we took Yakupov instead of Murray, taking a defender was the right choice.

3/4 in my eyes.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
how about what if the oilers start the rebuild properly the moment we traded Ryan Smth and not waste our time with bad contracts and signing guys like souray or habby

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
What if Roloson hadn't gotten hurt in Game 1?

In a Matrix Oracle type way... "now whats really going to make you think...what if Markannen was the back up for game one instead of Conklin?" :) btw roli didnt play well in game one and looked shakey from the start but we had DOMINATED and he was hardly tested until the third. It was the first game of the playoffs where he looked like he was overplaying angles,, getting too low to challenge, and giving unrolilike rebounds.

I felt uneasy about him from about the end of the first when i felt he looked like he was battling too much for no reason. I was used to him playing more precisely

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The way I see it:

2010: Hall was and is better than Seguin, completely right pick.
2011: Because we took winger, we needed center. RNH was the right pick.
2012: I wanted Murray.
2013: Because we took Yakupov instead of Murray, taking a defender was the right choice.

3/4 in my eyes.

I wanted Seguin and fought for him right up until the day before the draft when they showed oil change. It was close enough that when Hall said " Thats the team i want to draft me" that flipped me. It was not a politically correct thing, risky, thing for him to say. I liked Seguin slightly more all year...he didnt have the skill around him like hall and infact seguin had the attitude that everyone said hall would have. That walk of power and confidence. Seguin just beamed confidence and was at combine ripped. I flipped and was happy to draft Hall and was even more pleased we tried to get both.
I wasnt prepared to give up Eberle and Hemsky AND a first for seguin. Lots of people would have. I wouldnt have then. Eberle was dominating everywhere he went and i still believe in him.
I would have tried very very hard to keep eberle and our first out of it but obviously there would be no real assets left.

The way SOME...a loud minority...hall supporters would blindly call seguin a pansy and a daigle and predict him to bust. I got flashbacks this year when bennett supporters would bash leon. There was lots of people sitting on the fence...at least in the seguin threads i made to try to open discussion and less mindless bashing. The seguin supporters i dont recall bashing hall (the main arguments was hall being wing mostly and surrounded by talent...every seguin believer believed it was close and there wasnt going to be a bust), but half the posters who wanted hall( and not sitting on fence or saying they were close)said seguin would crash and burn. It was very interesting to observe.
There was alot ALOT of vitriol and people going mad over the possibility the oilers having the audacity to pick seguin.
All in all i think a wide majority wanted both...but again most agreed price of eberle and our 1st added to hemsky (who wed all have been happy to see go for that return) was too rich.
Seguin being a centre was a part of why i wanted him too. I swayed to him because i saw him drag a bad team...like i saw leon drag a bad team. I like that "hop on boys" attitude. gutsy.

I wanted to trade the yak pick but i doubt there were good offers out there. I wanted yak if we did draft that spot. I would like to know the offers that were on the table.

Nurse was a good pick. Yes i wanted nichublahblah but i understood the d issue. Still a solid pick. In the long run we needed more prospects on d. Marincin has exceeded what many felt he would be. I remember lots of people not even mentioning marincin last year when listing d prospects. The media even did it when interviewing mact and mact had to drop his name.

Last edited:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
What if ... Pocklington never traded Gretzky for cash? We would have won a dozen cups and the league would have folded in the 90's because of failed expansion to the US. Leaving the Edmonton Oilers as the reigning Stanley Cup champions of all time!!!

At least that's what my cristal ball says. :laugh:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
What if Peter Puck didn't trade Gretzky?

What if Darryl Katz didn't buy the Oilers?

What if there was no Ice Age?

:shakehead

What if cows jumped over the moon?

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hall would have a cup.
Seguin would of asked for a trade.
Otherwise we'd be in the same place in the standings..

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
What if the fine-structure constant was a slightly different value? Then these drafting dilemmas wouldn't even exist.

Oilers made the right decisions with the information they had at the time. Hindsight is 20-20 and even then I see no overwhelming case that the Oilers made the wrong choice.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

b27659fed9b4166aafe0d6b9d5e2f0f0f6f1d85448a07398dad91783ff8f79da.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad