Speculation: What if...

Smart Dunsparce*

We would have drafted Mackinnon and Mc david as well. I'm more than happy with hall.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The Oilers would have been worse.

Hall is still the better player, and he's also the more committed professional.

Seguin's immaturity and off ice issues would have been magnified in Edmonton.

I was sitting on the fence between the two leaning towards Hall until I saw the Oil Change episode too. Leading up to that all I heard was how smooth Seguin was in the media and how awkward Hall was. I loved Hall's answers in his interviews and I was very uncomfortable with Seguin's answers. I got the feeling that Hall wanted to be an Oiler and Seguin wanted to be drafted first overall. It could have just been the way it was edited but that was the feeling I got. I was relieved when the Oilers went with Hall.

Now with having the benefit of hindsight I wonder how impactful Seguin would have been here. His problems in Boston were well documented. Would he be the driver of this team that Hall is or would his off ice behavior in this fish bowl market been too much for him? He's a great player but I'm not sure he would have been here.

I am a Bruins fan and an Oilers fan and i can tell you that...with certainty...the atmosphere of the Bruins team is alot different than the atmosphere that Horcoffs Oilers had. I think Horcoff did a good job and the Bruins played roullette after hours.
If i could do it again, id still try hard to take both Seguin and Hall. People like to knock on Horcoff but i would be of the mind that Horcoff in charge of the entry level boys would have seen less of the Boston rediculousness. Boston is also a completely different world than Edmonton. Boston is sports insanity, like Chicago, and they are a party town. I havent been to any place in the world that feels like Boston.
Personally i feel if Edmonton had taken Seguin...and Hall... BOSTON DOESNT WIN CUP IN 2011....which sucks double for me since Vancouver would have likely won (my most hated team even prior to the cup final) AND my Bs wouldnt have won. AND Seguin would be a different person. Hall is the player that best fit the Bruins...Seguin, Eberle and Hemsky (rumored parts to a deal) never did/would have fit.

All and all i am happy seguin was a bruin. Won a cup in 2011 while punching the sedins faces. Made vancouver riot. Put it in Torontos faces. Edmonton selected RNH (with the pick that was rumored as part of package for seguin), and could have had RJ.

It all worked out for the best.

The only thing i respect Tambo for was going hard for second high picks...going hard for seguin...and going hard for RJ.

In other news...

Dallas has worked their management butt off to make a rediculous team. :O (it helps when guys like Spezza approve trades to go to your city)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He would have been on a new team

would you rather have Hall or erikson and smith

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I am a Bruins fan and an Oilers fan and i can tell you that...with certainty...the atmosphere of the Bruins team is alot different than the atmosphere that Horcoffs Oilers had. I think Horcoff did a good job and the Bruins played roullette after hours.
If i could do it again, id still try hard to take both Seguin and Hall. People like to knock on Horcoff but i would be of the mind that Horcoff in charge of the entry level boys would have seen less of the Boston rediculousness. Boston is also a completely different world than Edmonton. Boston is sports insanity, like Chicago, and they are a party town. I havent been to any place in the world that feels like Boston.
Personally i feel if Edmonton had taken Seguin...and Hall... BOSTON DOESNT WIN CUP IN 2011....which sucks double for me since Vancouver would have likely won (my most hated team even prior to the cup final) AND my Bs wouldnt have won. AND Seguin would be a different person. Hall is the player that best fit the Bruins...Seguin, Eberle and Hemsky (rumored parts to a deal) never did/would have fit.

All and all i am happy seguin was a bruin. Won a cup in 2011 while punching the sedins faces. Made vancouver riot. Put it in Torontos faces. Edmonton selected RNH (with the pick that was rumored as part of package for seguin), and could have had RJ.

It all worked out for the best.

The only thing i respect Tambo for was going hard for second high picks...going hard for seguin...and going hard for RJ.

In other news...

Dallas has worked their management butt off to make a rediculous team. :O (it helps when guys like Spezza approve trades to go to your city)

You would have been happy with Horcoff, a player who openly admitted he refused to accept the roles the coaches wanted him to play, and a captain that presided over locker room splits along with some of the least accountable Oiler teams in franchise history, having influence over someone like Seguin?

We aren't going to ever agree with the what ifs of that situation.

Last edited:

Gambl0r83*

A big fat NO

The problem was not the golden picks we got which are the envy of the league. Any team would kill to have any of the 4 on their team. Those players you mentioned that we are better off with are doing well because they are in good teams.
Once Oilers become a playoff team (which is one year away imo), this thread will look quite silly and almost laughable

And nurse?? He hasn't even played an NHL game yet.
Gawd, it's no wonder the players despise the fans, how can we not appreciate 3 first overall picks, with very very bright futures. Unreal

Last edited by a moderator:

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
2010: Always was on the Hall>Seguin train, still on it to this day.
2011: RNH will be better than Landeskog, starting next year perhaps.
2012: I wanted Yakupov, and I hope I'm right, but it's not looking great.
2013: Wanted Nuke but Nurse is starting to look really really good.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
I don't know what would change.. We would still have an excellent young core without the proper pieces surrounding them to succeed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad