Speculation: What if... we don't get the Dmen we need via trade?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i think everyone would agree to stone around killer thing myself.

Killer has topped off going to be around a 50 point guy do not see much improvement or another jump for him. Is most proven guy games in etc. So most valuable cause dont see trading johnson or palat anytime soon lol.

I do think stevie will address defense this season. Unless at camp something odd happens.

Not sure we can get a 2 not sure who will target but think this is the year coming up a move will be made.

He said in statements if he could make the team better no one but stamkos was safe primarily to not be part of a deal. That was by EE.

I would say he does something we just got to wait to see what he has in his plans. See how draft goes etc.

See whom is on table. Remember per rumor he made a bid for Kesler a legit one?

We could see a big shake up by this time next year a surprising one even.

I think we are in good hands all around the scouts gm etc. It will all get taken care of they will review see where are and make the proper moves based on what is out there.

Part of it we always here rumors of whom might be available but are they really?

Fairly available? We make good trade partners with some teams I really do not think nothing is done by start of year myself. I see us making some moves free agency draft etc.

It would seem to be the time. Now if we cant sign callahan? We might not be as aggressive as I believe we will be.

Yet also if we do not do anything? We go backwards a little STEVIE doesnt like going backwards lol. Just dont see it myself we are gonna be active very very soon.

How would you evaluate Killorn's skating? From what I've seen, he has decent straight-line speed and okay overall mobility.

Killer can play any role on all four lines. He can keep it with 99% of your players. Hes not fast enough for stamkos but few guys are:)

He needs to learn to go to net better with and without the puck to be honest. He would shoot the puck from the bench if was legal though will work hard. His defense is not what would be considered great but is ok. He could be more physical use his body better. He will not be a great pk guy. He could develop into a very solid pk guy though cause he is good at blocking shots when gets the chance and plays that fearlessly in my opinion.

He will make a bone head penalty here and there but overall he is a 50 point second line player. Decent not exceptional who will do the work.

He is just getting passed by better younger players. We have a few of those:)

I remember when anyone suggesting to trade killorn (this season mind you) Was like needing to be burned and pitchforked lol:)

So you guys would be happy with him. He will have slumps where is snake bitten but will get some great tries looks during those times so that is just luck and what happens to average NHL players it seems?

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Some of you guys are content with the D-corps? They're almost embarrassing to watch sometimes, the lack of mobility is bluntly obvious, aside from Hedman no one is a good skater, this is emphasized when Brewer at times looks like he's the 2nd best skating Dman on our team.

If not for Bishop we'd look a lot more like the last 2 years of Boucher hockey.

Carle was beyond terrible last year, decent for about 45 games this season but it says something when the best you can hope for him is that he stays invisible and doesn't make a stupid turnover.

It would do wonders to add a solid 1st pairing Dman to play along side Hedman, I've stated it many times but Josi type player to play along side Hedman is the ideal candidate.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think everyone recognizes we need to get someone. The problem is a Josi-type is most likely not available, so we're going to have to make due with a) a project Dman (which may not show immediate results) or b) a steady, but not ideal Dman that will make us better, but be a temporary fix.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How would you evaluate Killorn's skating? From what I've seen, he has decent straight-line speed and okay overall mobility.

The problem lately is he's been on a line with Stamkos (who skates like the wind), so he looks slow when compared. You pretty much have it down - he's a decent skater.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Some of you guys are content with the D-corps? They're almost embarrassing to watch sometimes, the lack of mobility is bluntly obvious, aside from Hedman no one is a good skater, this is emphasized when Brewer at times looks like he's the 2nd best skating Dman on our team.

If not for Bishop we'd look a lot more like the last 2 years of Boucher hockey.

Carle was beyond terrible last year, decent for about 45 games this season but it says something when the best you can hope for him is that he stays invisible and doesn't make a stupid turnover.

It would do wonders to add a solid 1st pairing Dman to play along side Hedman, I've stated it many times but Josi type player to play along side Hedman is the ideal candidate.

I don't think anyone is happy with the D-corps. It is certainly our weakest link right now. Hedman has been great. Gudas looks like a rookie, Carle is so soft and both are constantly missing assignments. Brewer has been solid. Kostka has been good. Salo is an abortion on the ice. We definitely need to upgrade the D. No doubt about it. But who are we going to go out and get that is 1) available, 2) affordable, and 3) better than what we've got.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
The problem lately is he's been on a line with Stamkos (who skates like the wind), so he looks slow when compared. You pretty much have it down - he's a decent skater.

my valuation is more that he is trying to be filppula when he naturally is better at being palat quick decision move puck go north south.

He is overthinking and trying to carry puck too long and too often instead of keeping simple moving puck around quick passes and is causing his game to not be as good as it could be.

Just my 2 cents.

As far as who is available I would target myers and go get him. Know we had the convo some agreed once saw him play us that he is better than some had thought. I think he is legit myself. Would be perfect and is probably available.

Just unsure stevie will go all in yet.

If not the simple just get someone better than what have lol is probably what we see:(

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Another thing I just came up with, I assume Barberio will overtake Kostka after the summer as the new fulltime #6.
However for me neither Aulie nor Kostka should be the #7 on a contending team, they are more so #8s for me especially on a team that likes to use 7D and has injury prone top4 defenders in Hedman and Gudas.

So I could see (and hope) us going after Adam McQuaid. Boston needs to unload a D contract, he would add more grit to the lineup and could easily take over Brewers spot after this season if there is no better option by then. I think we could get him for a third or so. Oh and he would for sure look a little better after Bishop than what we currently have.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Another thing I just came up with, I assume Barberio will overtake Kostka after the summer as the new fulltime #6.
However for me neither Aulie nor Kostka should be the #7 on a contending team, they are more so #8s for me especially on a team that likes to use 7D and has injury prone top4 defenders in Hedman and Gudas.

So I could see (and hope) us going after Adam McQuaid. Boston needs to unload a D contract, he would add more grit to the lineup and could easily take over Brewers spot after this season if there is no better option by then. I think we could get him for a third or so. Oh and he would for sure look a little better after Bishop than what we currently have.

I would LOVE Adam McQuaid. But I don't think we'd be willing to deal with Boston or vice versa. We're probably more likely to look at the rosters of the handful of draft day sellers. Carolina and Vancouver are new to the list of all the other usual suspects. And who knows what Toronto does if their nightmare continues (though their might be some inter-divisional obstacles there too).

But I've been pretty impressed with Kotska. I think he's earned his roster spot so far, and if he's our #7 next year, I don't think we're in bad shape. Not that I'd be opposed to an upgrade, don't get me wrong, and Sustr might well be ready for primetime next year.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Someone like Matt Niskanen is pricey and perhaps unnecessary, but someone like Nikitin, a market inefficiency sitting out there as things currently stand, would be a really nice addition.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Funny that no one really states the obvious here. Danny Boyle is a pending UFA that has ties to Tampa and its been speculated that he wants to return. He is a righty dman and still have another year or two left in him. Sign him to 1 year deals. I DO think that we need more than Boyle but he is a temporary upgrade over Salo for sure.

Not saying that this should be option A but this is a solid option B or C.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Funny that no one really states the obvious here. Danny Boyle is a pending UFA that has ties to Tampa and its been speculated that he wants to return. He is a righty dman and still have another year or two left in him. Sign him to 1 year deals. I DO think that we need more than Boyle but he is a temporary upgrade over Salo for sure.

A few of us brought this up several months ago, myself included, and I still love the idea. I'd love to have Boyle back in a Bolts uniform and he can still play the hockey.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

ya we hashed this before girardi was resigned he was like my second overall option.

Now for me he is flat out option NUMBER ONE. Yet that means TEDDY must go.

That might be harder than expected.

I dont see us getting the right guy easily. So a 2 year band aid of boyle use the extra draft picks and draft more d guys? Groom some more kids give some kids more time?

Koekkoek and sustr:) I am happy guy for now.

Someone like Matt Niskanen is pricey and perhaps unnecessary, but someone like Nikitin, a market inefficiency sitting out there as things currently stand, would be a really nice addition.

Niskanen takes the hometown deal or will be too pricey imho. Meaning he stays in pittsburgh or he swings for fences on a contract that some dumb azz team will pay him

Nikitin i brought up and people were not down. I like him he is simple but a solid four great 5-6 guy imo would be like stone physical clear crease block shots etc.

I think is over 50 % though he resigns unless is looking for a pay day and doubt he will get a huge amount on market. Market might be bare though?

I wouldnt overpay for him he just doesnt have the required skill set to get a huge amount of money.

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Offer sheet, or trade for, RFAs Subban or Gudbranson?

I highly, HIGHLY doubt that Yzerman offer sheets anybody. It's pretty rare that it happens at all. And to offer sheet Subban would cost us huge assets if we actually signed him. Not worth it.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Offer sheet, or trade for, RFAs Subban or Gudbranson?

gudbranson is interesting dont see stevie doing a lot of the offer sheet type of thing though 4 first rounders? That aint how steve would run things lol.

I would be down for a trade for gudbranson just dont see panthers letting up on him.

ROTOWORLD:

The Florida Panthers have no interest in trading Erik Gudbranson or otherwise letting him leave over the summer.
Gudbranson is scheduled to become a restricted free agent and it sounds like the Panthers might attempt to lock him up to a long-term deal. "He is likely going to be the captain of our team some day," Panthers GM Dale Tallon said. Gudbranson has seven points and 93 penalty minutes in 56 games this season. Mar 18 - 4:54 PM

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I have seen Boyle's name discussed previously here.. I just wanted to reiterate that it is a real and viable option for the short term. Wouldn't be surprised to see it come into fruition.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I have seen Boyle's name discussed previously here.. I just wanted to reiterate that it is a real and viable option for the short term. Wouldn't be surprised to see it come into fruition.

I would love to see that. Dude can still play. He'd definitely be in our top 3.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I have to say the salo since olympics? ONLY WORD IS MONSTER

as in dan boyle would be monster upgrade to salo.

Salo previously? Boyle was a good upgrade to me.

Salo had a few really good games after the Olympics, but he is back to his terrible play. Poor decision making, slow, very hesitant. Dan Boyle would be a pretty sizable upgrade over even the best Salo can be at this point in his career.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Boyle has been pretty terrible this year by his standards. He may be an upgrade on Salo currently but with how rapid he's deteriorated this season he might not be much of an upgrade come next season. If he wants anything more then 4 million for 1 year I'd pass.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Fairly available? We make good trade partners with some teams I really do not think nothing is done by start of year myself. I see us making some moves free agency draft etc.

It would seem to be the time. Now if we cant sign callahan? We might not be as aggressive as I believe we will be.

Yet also if we do not do anything? We go backwards a little STEVIE doesnt like going backwards lol. Just dont see it myself we are gonna be active very very soon.

It all depends on Vinik and what he is willing to spend. Remember he ate Vinny's contract - that money while it doesn't count against the cap still has to come from somewhere.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Boyle has been pretty terrible this year by his standards. He may be an upgrade on Salo currently but with how rapid he's deteriorated this season he might not be much of an upgrade come next season. If he wants anything more then 4 million for 1 year I'd pass.

You know how annoying you can be when you throw blatant misinformation with NO BACKING OUT THERE ?

If your gonna throw a statement like this out there into the world back it up.

His advanced stats say he is not that off any of his other years honestly.

Stats can be looked up HOSE. As I write this I just shake head. So you have an eye test yep looks ok pretty good after his injury. So you look up stats. Yep is coming around hell lets look up last three years.

Yep per 60 minutes of toi yep he is close to or equaling the other years. Yep so why HOSE I got to ask? Why. You just want to troll knowing I would look up to prove you wrong again?

Why dont you use stats? Maybe you saw him play 2 times this year or something so now he is in RAPID DECLINE?

His TOI is at 20.8 he has been used less shorthanded than in years past. Maybe they dont want to injure again? Or maybe that other guys play? Vlasic has made him get less time thats still danny's partner for all situations so he hasnt really lost it and I would think Boyle would be our number 2 shorty on defense no QUESTION

His hits are same blocks a smidge down but nothing of concern. He went down from 25 minutes a game 2 years ago meaning 2011-2012 is when he started playing less minutes. He is having a better year this year by the way than last year in almost all categories. His power play goal scoring is high this year his overall shooting percentage has went up and down yearly and this is not a really down year.

His production is fine so answer me where is this DECLINE? Prove it please. Cause if a guy gets less time overall yet keeps up other things? Going by stats per percentage of him playing a 60 minute game? Well to me that means he still has it.

Anyone getting 20 minutes a game for a top team in NHL is not in a rapid decline

or choosing your words?

but with how rapid he's deteriorated this season " PROVE THIS STATEMENT PLEASE"?????????

Show me where you see this please. I would like to know?

OH P.S. I CAN PROVE THE STATS JUST PUTTING IT ON YOUR PLATE SHOW ME SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN SAY TO PROVE DAN BOYLE IS IN A DECLINE THAN I WILL GET YOU THE ADVANCED STATS AND REFUTE WHATEVER IT IS YOU COME UP WITH CAUSE YOUR SIMPLY WRONG!!

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
It all depends on Vinik and what he is willing to spend. Remember he ate Vinny's contract - that money while it doesn't count against the cap still has to come from somewhere.

Vinik has said and this has been repeated over and over he will spend up to the cap and just wants to come close to balancing out. We need to hit like 18k attendance is a target also I believe someone said.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
I am a little confused about the Koekkoek situation. The guy is either having terrible luck or has something severely wrong with his shoulders. Either way, is he someone we should continue to hope helps out next year or are we going to have him prove he can pull off a miracle and stay healthy in the AHL for a season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad