Speculation: What if... we don't get the Dmen we need via trade?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
We all hope SY finds us that perfect guy for Hedman. A righty, with a strong defensive game, that can lock above 20 quality minutes and is younger than 30.
Also good: not Injury prone, good contract, physicality.

So what do we do if we don't get that Tanev/Giordano (yeah I know one is not like the other) guy?

UFA signing? -The only one that interests me is Mark Fayne
Nothing? Maybe Sustr can grow into that role within2 season, but big gamble.
Trade for a quality lefty (Edler type) and translate either him or Hedman to the right?
Trade for a relative young 2nd pairing righty and hope he can move his game up a notch in Tampa?
Translate Koekkoek to the right and hope he can develop without morre shoulder issues.
Try and trade a young prospect for Connolly and/or Killorn that might have the talent to grow into that role.

I think this is a really interesting topic, because right now I don't see that we find the right guy via trade. And IMO this is really the only weakness on the way to being a contender for many years.

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
i think victor is at the point where we don't look for someone FOR him, but rather someone who will compliment him nicely. salo was good for that last mentor role to push him a bit farther but it's pretty obvious victor is the #1 defenseman now that we've been seeking since boyle departed.

i've been perfectly content with our d this year. salo might be done after this and brewer might not be far behind so we do need to look at some new guys but don't feel that we need to throw large amounts of cash at a guy hoping he'll be the answer to all of our problems either.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Carle and Gudas have been rock solid on the 2nd pairing. Brew'Orr has had a great season so far and is a great 2nd/3rd pairing tweener and veteran. Both Kostka and Barberio have impressed me - Kostka with a slight edge over Barbs. Salo is unfortunately regressing and he's the weak link right now. I agree that going forward (after this season) we need to find a replacement for him on the 1st pairing on Hedman's side. Sustr could make some noise next season or maybe the year after. Aulie is ok as 6th/7th D and it wouldn't surprise me if he's playing elsewhere after the season. UFA or trade seems most likely.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Its really sad that Sustr got injured this year. He was set to get huge amounts of ice time and be the #1 in the AHL...however it was a wasted year of progression. I think he was set to come in next year and maybe make a play for that #2 spot depending on his performance - having these twin towers would be excellent for the backend to the Lightning.

Best case scenario here...Sustr plays the year in the AHL and Salo comes back for one more year to bridge the gap. I really don't see anyone in free agency that can fill the role - maaaaybe a trade?

I'm with you ... that #2 spot is really a concern. Koekkoek's injuries are a real problem for the organization and he is a lefty as well. I see Brewer finishing his contract next year just in time for Koekkoek to reach the NHL in that #6 slot after a year dominating the AHL and getting top pair minutes with Sustr.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We resign Kostka, seems Cooper is a huge fan and he's played decent. Salo decides to retire. We try to have Kostka take Salo's spot. Barberio moves back into the 6 spot. Sustr and Witkowski get a chance to be the 3rd RD. Sustr we know can handle 3rd pairing minutes but he needs to come into camp like he did this season. Witkowski has been a huge surprise this year and his physical stay at home style seems like would work well with Barberio. Im sure we look to make a move for a Salo replacement but want no part of Edler.

Hedman being the clear cut Norris favorite this season playing with Salo doesn't need a good partner he can carry anybody. Or we could always resign Lee as he would've won the Norris if healthy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A lot of teams are in position to be sellers at deadline day. We have a lot of assets. Yzerman has shown in the past he won't move unless the price is right, but he should have a lot of options. How much money will be available (cap-wise) will be interesting too.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
The longer the playoff run the more money to spend :handclap:

Dont think it matters - Vinik has already stated he'll run the Lightning at breakeven and is willing to spend up to the cap every year. As long as the Lightning keep averaging over 18k per season in attendance I think Yzerman will have the green light to spend up to the camp every year as needed.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I agree that it is a concern that the perfect guy may not be out there for us. It isn't easy to get a #2 defenseman, but it is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get a #1 defenseman, which is a good thing. I trust that SFY will do something absolutely unexpected this off season to address this issue, and it will likely make us all go... "wait, is that the right choice?" which it will indeed be.

Or we cross our fingers and hope to the hockey gods that Koekkoek, Sustr or one of the other young D players turn into that top pairing player in the next 2 years. We arent in a terrible spot at the moment, but I do agree that our D is still a weak point for us. We need to try and add some more high end D prospects at the draft these next 2 years, or we need to become really good friends with Pheonix and Nashville...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Fayne could be a band-aid for next year - guy that is ideally a second pairing but could slot in - while we wait for one of our young guys to develop. Could just move him down the depth chart as players pass him like we did with Brewer.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
edler is not an option

He is TERRIBLE playing righty and im being kind.

I think we are better off then people figure. I think something happens though and is through a trade.

IF EVERYTHING WORKS OUT

Meaning
1. callahan signed
2. drouin taking a spot
3. decent in playoffs this year look like we can contend next year for a cup
etc.

is some factors. We do not know stevie's plan. Might not be ready to pull the trigger.

I pray not I think its time with those first two things happening.

We could use two d. One guy to give a couple ahl season another guy at least a 3-4 who could slot to two. Decent enough defensively for Hedman to cover for him etc.

I think koekkoek makes us add a ahl guy. Someone to bring along with his upside.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
This off season will probably be the one where we finally trade away some of our young talent for a top 4 capable defensman.

Who?

No idea but my guess is we make a trade with Phoenix, makes to much sense.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Well I hoped to get a little more of your guys inner armchair GM life to be honest.

I would like to hear what you guys would do in SYs position (so I trust in SFY is not a option:naughty:)

So here are my two:

First off, I don't think to go after a random top4 D is the solution. We have a decent 2nd pair along with a decent 3rd pair. However Salo as a #2 was not good last year (for me he was a top4 kinda defender last season) and this season he plays just god awful (atleast the games I have seen especially the last 5 or so and some random games over the winter. For me he is more of a #5 now. So the guy coming in should play at a higher level than Salo last season and be much younger.

Easy solution: Salo retires, we trade Purcell for picks and buyout Malone (both moves for cap freedom and places for the young guys) and sign Mark Fayne, who should see a rise in his offensive production because of our team and was never used right in NJ IMO.

Trade solution:Salo retires, and we trade Killorn and a pick to Buffalo for Mark Pysyk and still buyout Malone.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Would love to see us make an offer to Get Larsson, who I think would be a great Partner back their on Defense. Has the same amount of potential as Hedman, just a little behind on his development which I think Hedman can help him over come. Would be an immediate improvement on Salo as well.

Second option, Brandon Gormley. Starting to see Ice time in the desert, could ease him into that role. Solid all around, spectacular at nothing. Could be an Ideal Partner for Hedman in the long term of things.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
SY doesn't seem to want to address the D situation. If he does it's not gonna be a young top 4 D either unless you consider 28-29 young. He signed Carle who was 28, Salo 37, picked up 27 year old Kostka and gave Cote 31 an NHL deal. The only young deal he made was Aulie a few years ago who they seem to not want to play and Sustr who was more a long-term project.

Not worried about Koekkoek being a long-term injury risk, shoulder injuries are apart of hockey, he's hopefully getting his out of the way early. He came back from the last better then before so can't see this one being an issue. Sustr struggling in the A is a worry but hopefully it's just due to the concussion. Blujus turned around his season a d seems back on track to being a potential top 4 down the road. Our prospects are in good shape as after this season they all will be in the professional ranks.

We will buyout Malone, there's no chance we can't, don't see a team even giving us a 7th for him. Don't see us trading Purcell for just picks, unless a good 1st but still don't, SY seems a fan cause he gave him a big deal and he still plays top 6. Salo will not be brought back even at 1 mil a year, his play slipped too much and think he retires. With the way we've played the lines lately I can see us keeping Killorn/Connolly/Panik and roll almost 4 scoring lines. The 4th will be a mix of Brown/Panik-Thompson-Connolly/Crombeen. Let the wingers push each other for minutes and have 4 strong lines that can score. It's really hard to read SY cause he seems to not want to address the D with youth at all.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Second option, Brandon Gormley. Starting to see Ice time in the desert, could ease him into that role. Solid all around, spectacular at nothing. Could be an Ideal Partner for Hedman in the long term of things.

Maloney won't trade Gormley right when he's just about to crack our blueline. He coveted Gormley in 2010 and more or less couldn't run fast enough to the podium when Gormley dropped in the draft. His progression into an OEL-lite player has been on track.

If there's a trade to be made with the Yotes (and it's befuddling that there hasn't been one yet between us), it'll involve Stone.

So, Stone for Killorn?

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Maloney won't trade Gormley right when he's just about to crack our blueline. He coveted Gormley in 2010 and more or less couldn't run fast enough to the podium when Gormley dropped in the draft. His progression into an OEL-lite player has been on track.

If there's a trade to be made with the Yotes (and it's befuddling that there hasn't been one yet between us), it'll involve Stone.

So, Stone for Killorn?

I'd do it. Other Bolts fans probably wouldn't though. I'm not as big a fan of Killorn as the rest though, I think he's a tad overrated on here tbh.

HoseEm - I tend to agree. SFY doesn't seem to want to pony up the assets, and would rather wait for Koekkoek or someone to take the spot in the distant future. He's patient, but we are not. What's the point of having all these assets that we have if we aren't going to use them to make ourselves better? It's got to happen at some point.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Since Killorn is an impending RFA, any ideas on his contract demands? I'd probably spitball something at 2-2.25M AAV for 2-3 years

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Since Killorn is an impending RFA, any ideas on his contract demands? I'd probably spitball something at 2-2.25M AAV for 2-3 years

I would say 1.75 might be doable. But yeah, something along those lines - bridge deal.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I'd do it. Other Bolts fans probably wouldn't though. I'm not as big a fan of Killorn as the rest though, I think he's a tad overrated on here tbh.

HoseEm - I tend to agree. SFY doesn't seem to want to pony up the assets, and would rather wait for Koekkoek or someone to take the spot in the distant future. He's patient, but we are not. What's the point of having all these assets that we have if we aren't going to use them to make ourselves better? It's got to happen at some point.

We have too many forwards on the roster for next season, so he is almost forced to do something with them.
He wasn't shy of trading good assets before if he likes the prize. Trades are easier made in the offseason, especially if you want quality assets, cause there is much more time and the good players tend to receive less than at TDL.

IF guys like Pysyk, Larsson or even Stone are on the table, I doubt he is hesitant to trade good assets. He has so far always done what needed to be done. So for me there is a good chance that Killorn gets moved in a deal involving one of the three guys mentioned above. If Connolly is enough to base a deal around him and one of the three great, make it, if not we gotta give Killorn away.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I wouldn't mind giving up Killorn for Stone. I like him, but we need what he could bring us in a trade more than we need him.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
How would you evaluate Killorn's skating? From what I've seen, he has decent straight-line speed and okay overall mobility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad