What If VAR Existed Before?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Terrible article.
They used Henry's handball (which was blatant cheating) but at no point was Ireland though with or without that handball.
OTOH, plenty of very famous decisions cost Champions' leagues (Vata's hand, etc...), World Cups (Brazil out in the the 02 WC, Italy out in the 06 WC, Korea out every game in the 02 WC, etc...).

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
This is always weirdest to me:

"Everybody saw what happened on 23 April 1994. Almost everybody, that is. FC Bayern took on FC Nürnberg at Munich's Olympic Stadium on Matchday 32. The match was crucial for both sides, with Bayern in the race for the championship title and the visitors in the relegation battle. After 25 minutes Thomas Helmer tried to poke the ball across the line. Helmer dragged the ball wide, but linesman Jörg Jablonski convinced referee Hans-Joachim Osmers to award the goal."

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
This is always weirdest to me:

"Everybody saw what happened on 23 April 1994. Almost everybody, that is. FC Bayern took on FC Nürnberg at Munich's Olympic Stadium on Matchday 32. The match was crucial for both sides, with Bayern in the race for the championship title and the visitors in the relegation battle. After 25 minutes Thomas Helmer tried to poke the ball across the line. Helmer dragged the ball wide, but linesman Jörg Jablonski convinced referee Hans-Joachim Osmers to award the goal."

So they had a replay? I thought it never happened before.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The most egregious to me happened with technology.

Villa's current resurgence, in which they are earnestly a Top 6 contender, is based on them staying up at Bournemouth's expense because Sheffield United had a goal missed by a goal line tech snafu. Villa would've gone down if not for that point they unjustly earned.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LFC wins the PL in 2013-14 with VAR.

But maybe they don’t get Klopp if they do.

Dominos

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
LFC wins the PL in 2013-14 with VAR.

But maybe they don’t get Klopp if they do.

Dominos
This was called offside. Incompetence of officials was still evident in 2013.

Attachments

• 6dClWat.png
    6dClWat.png
    496.1 KB · Views: 2

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I'm sure Liverpool didn't benefit at all from a refs decision that year either right?

Was that the same year that Arsenal and Liverpool drew at the Emirates because they wrongfully called a Ramsey goal offside? May have been the previous or following years.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sure Liverpool didn't benefit at all from a refs decision that year either right?

Was that the same year that Arsenal and Liverpool drew at the Emirates because they wrongfully called a Ramsey goal offside? May have been the previous or following years.
Simple search. Not the same season and from the look of the picture was less evident to the naked eye.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Simple search. Not the same season and from the look of the picture was less evident to the naked eye.
The only wrongful offsides goal with LFC and Arsenal that comes to mind was Sadio Mane wrongfully being offsides in November 2018. Those points get LFC a title in 18-19 too

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Fair enough. Though it doesn't change that you two are pointing to one bad call during the year and likely ignoring something else that Liverpool benefitted from.

The only wrongful offsides goal with LFC and Arsenal that comes to mind was Sadio Mane wrongfully being offsides in November 2018. Those points get LFC a title in 18-19 too
I thought you guys were just going crazy the last few weeks, but you're pulling calls from 5 and 10 years ago out of your back pockets left and right

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fair enough. Though it doesn't change that you two are pointing to one bad call during the year and likely ignoring something else that Liverpool benefitted from.

I thought you guys were just going crazy the last few weeks, but you're pulling calls from 5 and 10 years ago out of your back pockets left and right
Sure we probably benefited from something, but nothing as egregiously bad as this; and it was a six pointer

When you lose three titles to the same team by a combined four points, this stuff sticks with you . The margin for error going against Man City is so small

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The most egregious to me happened with technology.

Villa's current resurgence, in which they are earnestly a Top 6 contender, is based on them staying up at Bournemouth's expense because Sheffield United had a goal missed by a goal line tech snafu. Villa would've gone down if not for that point they unjustly earned.
I feel like this one does not get talked about enough, wild the turn of events for Villa.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As has been alluded to, it hardly seems like a worthwhile thought experiment to imagine the impact VAR would have had in the past when we can just as easily imagine what impact it would have today if actually used properly.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
As has been alluded to, it hardly seems like a worthwhile thought experiment to imagine the impact VAR would have had in the past when we can just as easily imagine what impact it would have today if actually used properly.
1697805725385.png

This was just given as offside in the romanian league after 6 minutes of looking at it...

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Terrible article.
They used Henry's handball (which was blatant cheating) but at no point was Ireland though with or without that handball.
OTOH, plenty of very famous decisions cost Champions' leagues (Vata's hand, etc...), World Cups (Brazil out in the the 02 WC, Italy out in the 06 WC, Korea out every game in the 02 WC, etc...).

You still haven't gone through the disappointment of the 2006 game*. What's the difference between France-Ireland and Australia-Italy, because I'm sure that's what you're referring to.

*: Get over it, Italy won the world cup and France lost. Almost 20 years have passed and that victory is always more beautiful when I read certain things.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You still haven't gone through the disappointment of the 2006 game*. What's the difference between France-Ireland and Australia-Italy, because I'm sure that's what you're referring to.

*: Get over it, Italy won the world cup and France lost. Almost 20 years have passed and that victory is always more beautiful when I read certain things.
None, except one was a WC knockout game.
One had significantly more impact than the other.

And if you were being honest, I pointed to the 02 WC where Italy (among others) was robbed.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
None, except one was a WC knockout game.
One had significantly more impact than the other.

And if you were being honest, I pointed to the 02 WC where Italy (among others) was robbed.

What does it have to do with what you wrote about 2002? What you wrote doesn't mean anything, both games could have been the same with the passage of both Italy in the World Cup and France in the qualifiers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad