What if the Oscars actually paid attention to comedies?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I thought this was a fun little idea for an article and discussion starter:
https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/30-years-of-comedic-performances-that-deserved-oscar-noms.html

One of my annual beefs with the Academy Awards (aside form the sickening love of cruddy biopics) is the utter lack of love/respect it gives for comedies and comedic performances.

I'm not on board with all of the suggested nominees in that article (Macauley Culkin? Amy Poehler?) but some are inspired (Matt Damon, Reese Witherspoon).

What comedy or comedic performance do you feel was short shrifted by stodgy, old fogey Academy voters?

I'm a huge defender of James Franco in Pineapple Express which may be my favorite stoned/drunk acting work ever.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Agreed on Franco in Pineapple Express. The movie loses some steam in the middle-early ending but Franco is very good throughout. Favorite comedic performance though is Peter Sellers in Kubrick's Lolita. Might just be my favorite acting performance of all-time. Jeff Bridges as Lebowski and William H. Macy in Fargo are great too. Cage in Raising Arizona...(damn the Coen brothers have pulled out some great comedic performances through the years).

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There's some really great candidates on that list.

One that I would put for consideration is Jim Carrey for Dumb and Dumber. All of his work from that era was great, but, this holds up as his best comedic movie and probably his best work. It's still an over the top character but it still felt real, while delivering constant laughs for 2 straight hours.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There's some really great candidates on that list.

One that I would put for consideration is Jim Carrey for Dumb and Dumber. All of his work from that era was great, but, this holds up as his best comedic movie and probably his best work. It's still an over the top character but it still felt real, while delivering constant laughs for 2 straight hours.

came here to mention Dumb and Dumber.

Also The Big Lebowski should have both Jeff Bridges (actor) and John Goodman (supporting actor)

Pick any Mel Brooks comedy and nominate it for best script.

Napolean Dynamite would have a claim to actor, supporting actor, and best film

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Lotta good picks already. For somewhat more modern(ish) fare, I'd add the following:
Ralph Fiennes for "Grand Budapest Hotel"
Alden Ehrenreich for "Hail, Ceasar!"
Jesse Plemons for "Game Night"
Woody Harrelson for "Zombieland"
Sam Rockwell for "Seven Psychopaths"
Mike Myers for "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery" (for Dr. Evil)
Christopher Meloni for "Wet Hot American Summer"
Ben Stiller for "Heavyweights"

And from this year, Michelle Williams deserved more attention for the subpar "I Feel Pretty."

And if we're talking "bro" comedies, I'd draw attention to the following supporting roles:
Zach Galifianakis for "The Hangover"
Rob Corddry for "Hot Tub Time Machine"
Will Ferrell for "Old School"
John C. Reilly for "Talladega Nights"
Kevin Hefferan, "Super Troopers"
Christopher McDonald for "Happy Gilmore"
Jack Nicholson for "Anger Management"
Danny McBride for "This Is The End"

Yeesh, I listed almost entirely all men. Clearly need to give some extra thought re: favorite comedic roles from women. But are there less to choose from overall? You betcha.

Another random thing of note. In terms of Academy recognition, it seems like it's a lot easy to get a foot in the door for supporting comedic roles rather than lead ones. The three recent ones that come to mind, Robert Downey Jr (Tropic Thunder) Melissa McCarthey (Bridesmaids) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War), the latter of which being the very definition of comedic relief.... all supporting roles.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lotta good picks already. For somewhat more modern(ish) fare, I'd add the following:
Ralph Fiennes for "Grand Budapest Hotel"
Alden Ehrenreich for "Hail, Ceasar!"
Jesse Plemons for "Game Night"
Woody Harrelson for "Zombieland"
Sam Rockwell for "Seven Psychopaths"
Mike Myers for "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery" (for Dr. Evil)
Christopher Meloni for "Wet Hot American Summer"
Ben Stiller for "Heavyweights"

And from this year, Michelle Williams deserved more attention for the subpar "I Feel Pretty."

And if we're talking "bro" comedies, I'd draw attention to the following supporting roles:
Zach Galifianakis for "The Hangover"
Rob Corddry for "Hot Tub Time Machine"
Will Ferrell for "Old School"
John C. Reilly for "Talladega Nights"
Kevin Hefferan, "Super Troopers"
Christopher McDonald for "Happy Gilmore"
Jack Nicholson for "Anger Management"
Danny McBride for "This Is The End"

Yeesh, I listed almost entirely all men. Clearly need to give some extra thought re: favorite comedic roles from women. But are there less to choose from overall? You betcha.

Another random thing of note. In terms of Academy recognition, it seems like it's a lot easy to get a foot in the door for supporting comedic roles rather than lead ones. The three recent ones that come to mind, Robert Downey Jr (Tropic Thunder) Melissa McCarthey (Bridesmaids) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War), the latter of which being the very definition of comedic relief.... all supporting roles.

Ralph Fiennes is a fantastic choice. I forgot about that one. He's perfect in In Bruges as well. I'll add Jason Schwartzmann in this neat little indie called Listen Up, Phillip where he plays a fairly callous novelist. And the late Jacques Villeret in the french classic Le diner de cons.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Superbad for best script and McLovin for best supporting actor.

RDJ for Tropic Thunder. To pull off black face and not have it be offensive while being flat out hilarious is one hell of an acting accomplishment.

The wrong actor and that role gets dangerous fast

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ralph Fiennes is a fantastic choice. I forgot about that one. He's perfect in In Bruges as well. I'll add Jason Schwartzmann in this neat little indie called Listen Up, Phillip where he plays a fairly callous novelist. And the late Jacques Villeret in the french classic Le diner de cons.

I'd heard good things about In Bruges but only ended up watching it last year.

After all the hype, what really surprised me was Colin Farrell's performance as the dim-witted and guilt-ridden criminal. It was very out of character for him and I was suitably impressed.

Fiennes and Gleeson were instrumental, but more in keeping with their strengths IMO.

Reactions: Amerika

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Since tyey put forward Amy Poehler for Inside Out, some recognition for Robin Williams as the Genie is warranted.

I can't think of another animated movie that has such an actor driven performance.

It's still my favourite animated Disney film. I'd have to go with Wall-E for computer animated.

I feel sorry for Will Smith because that is a tough act to follow.

A surprisingly underrated performance is Jason Sudeikis in We're the Millers where he channels his best 80's Chevy Chase impression.

Speaking of Chase, I'd have to put Fletch in there as his penultimate performance, although Vacation was pretty iconic.

Too bad he's a douche bag, he's probably one of the best physical comedians since Charlie Chaplin and the Marx Brothers. I was never that partial to Jim Carrey's bombastic overkill.

For some reason, this clip always makes me laugh because it's typical of Chase's style of humour.

Oscar worthy wise, I’d say Bill Murray or Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters is up there.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Science Fiction has also been completely ignored by the Oscars, Grammy's and just about every other award outside of the Saturn awards.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Agreed on Franco in Pineapple Express. The movie loses some steam in the middle-early ending but Franco is very good throughout. Favorite comedic performance though is Peter Sellers in Kubrick's Lolita. Might just be my favorite acting performance of all-time. Jeff Bridges as Lebowski and William H. Macy in Fargo are great too. Cage in Raising Arizona...(damn the Coen brothers have pulled out some great comedic performances through the years).

Sellers is probably my favorite actor, all time. So many great performances... Lesser known film, if you haven't seen Hoffman, check it out (not a comedy).

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Airplane! getting a screenplay nom would've been sweet, not to mention to litany of fantastic comedic performances.

And Robin Williams not getting nominated for the Genie was a crime.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Simon Beale deserved a nod for his role of Beria in Death of Stalin, and the screenplay deserved a nom as well.

Considering this is a hockey forum, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Paul Newman in Slap Shot. IMO, he's fantastic in the role, bringing some humanity into a pretty sleazy, desperate character.

Edit: Strother Martin is pretty fantastic too:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
James Franco also as Tommy Wiseau in The Disaster Artist

Still think he got robbed by the strength of the Me Too movement at the time, to not even get nominated that year as best actor, let alone if it was in a comedy role.

Also Ryan Reynolds absolutely nails who Deadpool is. It's beyond uncanny, to the point that now if you were to go back and read 1990s Deadpool comics, it's impossible without Reynolds voice in your head.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Concerning the list, Meg Ryan certainly has a case, and maybe one or two others, but I don't think any of the rest do. If people want more recognition for actors in comedies, Hollywood needs to make better comedies.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
James Franco also as Tommy Wiseau in The Disaster Artist

Still think he got robbed by the strength of the Me Too movement at the time, to not even get nominated that year as best actor, let alone if it was in a comedy role.

Winning a Golden Globe for best actor in a drama is almost a surefire way of getting nominated for an Oscar. Comedy, not so much (see: Jim Carrey x2).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure where else to put this, but the brilliant Naked Gun film has so many great moments that Leslie Nielsen almost deserves recognition for it.

It took me a viewing or two or three to figure out that Drebin actually walks around the set while the other characters go through the door.

Drebin actually ends up ahead after this negotiation.

It's a brilliant comedic performance - his dead-pan style fits the absurdity so well.

You can't really imagine anyone else in the role.

Naked Gun Cuban? No, Dutch Irish

There are so many great moments in this film.

Airplane! cast a much wider net with jokes being hurled at you much faster, but what's great about Naked Gun is that most of them land. It's a little more refined and elegant.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Scrolling through Vulture's list, it was pretty much what I expected... with the benefit of hindsight, you're able to pick out the long-lasting cultural phenomenons and cult classics from the 80's and 90's. Hard to disagree with those. As you get to more current years, you get a lot more into movies and actors I've never even heard of and people will probably forget about and people will disagree with.

Comedy is so subjective, and can change over time. Trying to do a serious look into the Best Comedy or Best Comedic Actor is just setting yourself up for failure.

But, if we can give James Franco and Pineapple Express some awards, I'm all for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad