What if the Kraken expansion draft was this offseason?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They could probably have Erne from Detroit instead, so no change from what they got from Detroit last year.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don’t care who you root for. Also not sure why everyone gets so butthurt about how Seattle did in the expansion draft when they don’t even care about Kraken. Beniers and Wright looks like a very promising future but hey maybe I’m wrong , JVR and Voracek would be better.
Sure you did. You threw out Tarasenko's name not even 5 words in lol

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Imagine shitting on a management group that currently has Beniers and Wright as their future top 6 centers. Seattle is going to be more than fine .
They've both yet to prove anything at the NHL level. Wright hasn't played a game yet.

How many #2 and #4 picks don't become franchise cornerstones and superstars. Quite a few.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Who the hell else did they miss so badly on?

Pitlick vs Fischer

Lauzon vs Ritchie

Borgen vs Girgensons

Geekie vs Bean or Niederreiter (assets)

Quennville vs Gaudette

Bayreuther vs Domi (assets)

Chowlowski vs Stetcher

MacDermid vs Wagner or Lizotte

Soucy vs Bjugstad (assets)

Bastian vs Butcher, Johnsson

Daccord vs Dadonov (assets)

Twarynski vs Braun, Hagg, Gostisbehere, Voracek (assets)

True vs Gambrell, Nieto

Dunn was a good pick but Tarasenko would have been much better

----

Not only could their team have been a lot better, but they could have drafted Nino, Domi, Johnsson, Dadonov, Voracek and Tarasenko, and dealt every single one of them for draft capital.

A few picks and a few prospects that were surely lost in favour of drafting objectively worse players.

Reactions: Macheteops

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Imagine shitting on a management group that currently has Beniers and Wright as their future top 6 centers.

The Krakken got 2OA given to them for existing (Beniers) and Wright fell from projected 1OA all the way to 4. Neither of those things have anything to do with the management of the team lmfao

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's not about whatever season, it's about how it was handled. It was handled terribly to the point that the GM should have been fired on the spot.

Seattle had a chance to build a really solid team out the gate and they got betrayed by the very people they hired so they wouldn't. I'm not a fan of theirs and it really hits a bad nerve with me.

Yeah. At the end of the day, their process was a flawed approach. A slightly different crop of targets available wouldn't have changed much. They still would've picked a bundle of AHLers over potential assets. Spent on a slightly different group of Mediocre UFAs to deals that make them hard to move until they have less years on them (at which point they'll be older and worth less).

I think their approach to this offseason shows them completely "staying the course". Approaching it in largely the same way. :dunno: I guess they're kind of stuck into it now. Maybe with a complete "mulligan" they would've done it differently...but i haven't got that impression.

I mean in the end, maybe it's fine. Beniers and Wright is a nice start. But neither of those things really had much of anything to do with them or their "plan". One of those picks was basically a slam dunk from the inception of the team, and the other was only available to them because he fell a bit into their laps.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Would this be before free agency, or now? Because that changes things a lot for the Pens.

Prior:
F: Crosby, Guentzel, Carter, Blueger, whatever three kids who weren't exempt I'm not thinking of.

D: Dumo, Marino, Matheson, POJ if there's not enough worthwhile forward kids to have a 7-3 split.

Would be a lot more challenging now without using UFA to protect Malkin/Letang/Rust/Rakell without listening them. Still, add the forwards to the 7, change Marino and Matheson to Letang and Petry, looks good enough.

Guess they'd probably take Kapanen.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Pitlick vs Fischer

Lauzon vs Ritchie

Borgen vs Girgensons

Geekie vs Bean or Niederreiter (assets)

Quennville vs Gaudette

Bayreuther vs Domi (assets)

Chowlowski vs Stetcher

MacDermid vs Wagner or Lizotte

Soucy vs Bjugstad (assets)

Bastian vs Butcher, Johnsson

Daccord vs Dadonov (assets)

Twarynski vs Braun, Hagg, Gostisbehere, Voracek (assets)

True vs Gambrell, Nieto

Dunn was a good pick but Tarasenko would have been much better

----

Not only could their team have been a lot better, but they could have drafted Nino, Domi, Johnsson, Dadonov, Voracek and Tarasenko, and dealt every single one of them for draft capital.

A few picks and a few prospects that were surely lost in favour of drafting objectively worse players.

Nice post. And to add to that, they let a few of their draft picks re-sign with the teams that exposed them. Just literal wasted picks.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Rangers would probably still be alright:

F: Zib, Bread, Kreider, Trocheck, Chytil, Kakko, Goodrow
D: Fox, Lindgren, Trouba
G: Igor
Exempt: Laf, Schneider, Miller

Exposed:
Blais (likely the choice)
Reaves
Gauthier
Hunt