What if the Kraken expansion draft was this offseason?

vannzee

Ruslan Salei fan...
Dec 18, 2010
S.E Michigan
This obviously an hypothetical post(and probably one I should have asked before the start of this off-season) but I was curious as to what an NHL expansion draft would look like this off-season as opposed to what happened last off-season?

Looking for what players would be protected and exposed as well any trades your team would offer to encourage and deter selections.

Following the same rules from last off-season which are listed below: (Obtained from NHL.com)
Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2022-23 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. The Kraken cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

The Kraken also have an exclusive window from July 18-21 to interview and potentially sign pending free agents who were left unprotected in the expansion draft. If they sign a player in that window it counts as their pick from that players' former team.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:
* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2022-23 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2022-23 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2022-23 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ottawa is still fine, i think.

Protected:
Forwards: Tkachuk, Norris, Giroux, DeBrincat, Batherson, Formenton, Joseph (Pinto and Stutzle are exempt)
Defense: Chabot, Zub, Brannstrom
Goalie: Forsberg/Talbot.

Someone can pick between Forsberg/Talbot, Zaitsev, Hamonic, Holden, Gambrell, or Watson. Best of luck.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Here's my (quick) prediction for the Oilers:

They go the 7 forwards and 3 defencemen route

- Nurse, Bouchard, Ceci get protected, leaving Barrie and Kulak (UFA) exposed

- Up front, it's McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Hyman, McLeod, Yamamoto, and Puljujärvi. That leaves UFA Kane and a whole bunch of nothing (Ryan, Foegle, Shore) exposed.

- They protect G Stuart Skinner

So either Seattle tries for one of "our" free agents (like the Adam Larsson pick last summer), or they take Tyson Barrie, who is still a good offensive D-man at $4.5 Mil for another 2 seasons.

... Or wait, in this alternate scenario is Adam Larsson still an Oiler?! :sarcasm:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Here's my (quick) prediction for the Oilers:

They go the 7 forwards and 3 defencemen route

- Nurse, Bouchard, Ceci get protected, leaving Barrie and Kulak (UFA) exposed

- Up front, it's McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Hyman, McLeod, Yamamoto, and Puljujärvi. That leaves UFA Kane and a whole bunch of nothing (Ryan, Foegle, Shore) exposed.

- They protect G Stuart Skinner

So either Seattle tries for one of "our" free agents (like the Adam Larsson pick last summer), or they take Tyson Barrie, who is still a good offensive D-man at $4.5 Mil for another 2 seasons.

... Or wait, in this alternate scenario is Adam Larsson still an Oiler?! :sarcasm:
Lol. Protecting Yama and Pulju? I thinkbthey cut bait.

First off, I think Holland would had maked the rooster diffrent if there was expansion.
Other, they trade away picks.

Protects Leon, McDavid, Hyman, Nuge, Kane, MacLeod, Yama, Nurse, Bouchard, Ceci.

Reactions: Macheteops

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
they'd still mess it up

Yeah, there is nothing that would be different

We would all still be shocked at how badly Seattle did in draft and at values of trades

They would still select some worthless head scratchers like they did when they took John Q from Hawks for instance

Thus far Seattle's management has left a lot to be desired

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Penguins

F: Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, Rakell, Carter, Blueger
D: Letang, Petry, Dumoulin or Rutta
G: Jarry

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Lol. Protecting Yama and Pulju? I thinkbthey cut bait.

First off, I think Holland would had maked the rooster diffrent if there was expansion.
Other, they trade away picks.

Protects Leon, McDavid, Hyman, Nuge, Kane, MacLeod, Yama, Nurse, Bouchard, Ceci.
So why protect Yamo then? Get your story straight.

And considering the Oilers permitted Kane to talk to other teams before FA opening, what makes you think they would "burn" a protection spot on him?

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Avs Protect:

MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Nuke
Lehkonen
Compher
O'Connor

Makar
Toews
Girard

Georgiev

Exempt:
Byram, Newhook

Would go to UFA and then sign:
Manson, Helm, Cogliano

Exposed:
Aube Kubel
Erik Johnson
Francoz

Franky gets kidnapped and then the leafs trade their first round pick for his playoff experience.

Reactions: Refalanche

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
So why protect Yamo then? Get your story straight.

And considering the Oilers permitted Kane to talk to other teams before FA opening, what makes you think they would "burn" a protection spot on him?
.. yeah... I was playing the game, and saw there are a big 6 in fwd, and big 4 in D...
My bad... if there was a draft this year, I think Holland had done things in a another way.

Markster

Oct 13, 2019
Avs Protect:

MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Nuke
Lehkonen
Compher
O'Connor

Makar
Toews
Girard

Georgiev

Exempt:
Byram, Newhook

Would go to UFA and then sign:
Manson, Helm, Cogliano

Exposed:
Aube Kubel
Erik Johnson
Francoz

Franky gets kidnapped and then the leafs trade their first round pick for his playoff experience.
If the expansion draft was this year instead of last, Donskoi would still be on the team and likely protected over O'Connor.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
If the expansion draft was this year instead of last, Donskoi would still be on the team and likely protected over O'Connor.
That's silly. It's not like we're unwinding all events between now and the prior expansion draft. The composition of every team changes. If you understand how chaos works... Like everything unfolds differently.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
Yeah, there is nothing that would be different

We would all still be shocked at how badly Seattle did in draft and at values of trades

They would still select some worthless head scratchers like they did when they took John Q from Hawks for instance

Thus far Seattle's management has left a lot to be desired
Imagine shitting on a management group that currently has Beniers and Wright as their future top 6 centers. Seattle is going to be more than fine .

Reactions: me2

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Van

F: Pettersson Horvat Miller Boeser Garland Pearson

D: Hughes Dermott OEL (NMC)

G: Demko

I couldn't even find 7 forwards worth protecting. I'd even consider exposing Pearson because it relieves a bit of cap pressure and he'd be the only one worth taking. Win-win. The best bet might have be Spencer Martin but he's was a UFA and there are going to be safer goalie options.

Tyler Myers? Jason Dickinson? Maybe to you taste. Thanks for the cap relief.

Seattle take Schenn.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It's not about whatever season, it's about how it was handled. It was handled terribly to the point that the GM should have been fired on the spot.

Seattle had a chance to build a really solid team out the gate and they got betrayed by the very people they hired so they wouldn't. I'm not a fan of theirs and it really hits a bad nerve with me.

Reactions: biturbo19

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
It's not about whatever season, it's about how it was handled. It was handled terribly to the point that the GM should have been fired on the spot.

Seattle had a chance to build a really solid team out the gate and they got betrayed by the very people they hired so they wouldn't. I'm not a fan of theirs and it really hits a bad nerve with me.
Cuz they missed on Tarasenko? Who the hell else did they miss so badly on? Please tell me JVR and Voracek so I can get a really good laugh this morning.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Cuz they missed on Tarasenko? Who the hell else did they miss so badly on? Please tell me JVR and Voracek so I can get a really good laugh this morning.
What, cuz I'm a Blues fan? Silly boi lol. So you think the Kraken did a fantastic job setting up the team? Please give me a real good laugh this morning.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
What, cuz I'm a Blues fan? Silly boi lol. So you think the Kraken did a fantastic job setting up the team? Please give me a real good laugh this morning.
I don’t care who you root for. Also not sure why everyone gets so butthurt about how Seattle did in the expansion draft when they don’t even care about Kraken. Beniers and Wright looks like a very promising future but hey maybe I’m wrong , JVR and Voracek would be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad