Rumor: What if the Jets traded for Luongo - wouldn't this be nice

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Lu's contract doesn't fit an organization like TNSE, not to mention they just extended Pav's contract so I highly doubt it's us.

edit: Not to mention I watched Luongo for a couple of years. He's a good goalie in the regular season, but once the pressure is on I don't know if it's the media or HFBoards that conditioned me but I don't feel comfortable with him in net.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Lu's contract doesn't fit an organization like TNSE, not to mention they just extended Pav's contract so I highly doubt it's us.

edit: Not to mention I watched Luongo for a couple of years. He's a good goalie in the regular season, but once the pressure is on I don't know if it's the media or HFBoards that conditioned me but I don't feel comfortable with him in net.

Likely both, because statistically he's just as good in the playoffs as the regular season.

OnionPuck

Mar 22, 2011
WPG
To be totally honest, I still feel it's too early to judge Pavs. This is sort of stating the obvious but, this season is make or break... basically Pavs needs to demonstrate he can put up at least above average numbers.

I think he has huge potential but honestly I don't see him developing under Flaherty... there are much better ex-professional goaltenders who could probably help him develop his game better. As much as I respect TNSE for its loyalty to its former players, this is one instance where I wouldn't give preferential treatment-- it's far too important. Jimmy Roy can run a prospect training camp, fine, but when it comes to developing a younger goalie we should be going after the best person we can find. Say what you want about his personally, but Belfour was a damn good goalie and isn't doing anything these days. For that matter, why couldn't we grab someone like Hasek? Roy? Anyway, I wouldn't raise a red flag on this but Pavs game has largely remained the same over the last year... throughout last season his positioning got a bit better, but he keeps making the same mistakes/getting caught on the same angles.

In relation to Lou... Lou is a great guy and a great player, but it's as others have said, TNSE wants to grow a team and Lou is already in (past?) his prime. The core of our group is mid 20s I think, and with Lou being as old as he is it just doesn't jive. Still, if for some perplexing reason we did get him... I wouldn't exactly be sad. Who knows, maybe he can play till he's 40.

I still think Montoya is a wildcard.. I think this guy is much better than people give him credit for. And he's way better than old man Slow Mason (drop, flop, and flail). :shakehead

OnionPuck

Mar 22, 2011
WPG
Is it just me or did you just there's only so much ex-professional goalies can do. And then promptly suggested a bunch of other ex-professional goalies to coach him.

No, what I said was that there are *better* ex-pros. I never thought Wade was any good, sorry.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Just to further the discussion....

I was looking at buyout numbers for Pavs just yesterday. I assumed (in the highly unlikely event it ever happens) that we'd use a compliance buyout on him either this summer or next.

If we do so this summer, he's under 26, meaning the buyout is only 1/3 the contract.

June 2013 buyout:

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=365&buyout_y=2013&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

Cap hit by year:

2013-14: $1,077,083
2014-15: $827,083
2015-16: $327,083
2016-17: -$172,917
2017-18: $677,083
2018-19: $677,083
2019-20: $677,083
2020-21: $677,083
Total: $5,416,667 over 8 years

June 2014 buyout:

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=365&buyout_y=2014&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

Cap hit by year:

2014-15: $1,566,667
2015-16: $1,066,667
2016-17: $566,667
2017-18: $1,416,667
2018-19: $1,416,667
2019-20: $1,416,667
Total: $8.5M over 6 years

Again, highly unlikely Chevy ever does this. But I have to admit, *I* thought about it.... :sarcasm:

You quoted the cap hit here. There would be no cap hit associated with the buyout.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Even if Luongo is better than Pavs, I'd rather have Pavs and Burmi/Little than Luongo

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This org acquiring Luongo would make me seriously question their competency. Thank God it will never happen.

Daddy Longlegs

Aug 6, 2012
This contract is a giant mess, and the Jets brass won't touch it with a 10 foot poll. No thanks! And this is coming from a Pavelec critic.

Agreed. I would be nothing but sick to my stomach if Luongo comes to Winnipeg. No thanks. Never liked him or his contract.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If you think:
1) Currently Pavs > Lu
2) TNSE wouldn't love to have Lu ignoring all other things
3) Lu's playoff experience is a) worse than his reg season b) worse than his peers c) anything to scoff at
4) Nuck's playoff failures are mostly on Lu's shoulder
Then you should probably re-evaluate things in a non-biased way

If you think:
1) we don't have excess pieces for a trade, let a lone a high-end one like this
2) if we traded for Lu we'd be a bottom feeding team with an aging goalie
3) Lu's contract is scary
4) TNSE wouldn't do this but has nothing to do with Lu's a) personality b) play
Then you are most likely right

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
No, no, no, no, no, no.... NO! Do not want Luongo. He is a good goaltender (some may say great) but he has plateaued and is at the peak of his career, only way is down.

With Pavs he is young, the only way is up.

Personally I think the deal is in the works to move him to Toronto where he is appreciated.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I like Lu and wouldn't mind if we traded for him. His contract is not that bad...and for all we know a goalie as skilled as Luongo very well could play well until the end of it. There is a chance he doesn't, but when you are talking about a top five to ten goalie in the league(IMO, I'd only take quick, Lundy and Price ahead of him) there's an equal chance that he plays until the end.

He onl has a few more years until his salary drops off, and his cap hit is very reasonable. The only down side is that we would have to split the penalty with Van and the team that we dump Lu onto for shrapnel when his contract reaches that particular time.

However, I do agree that this team cannot really afford the pieces that it would take to acquire him. Especially not for this season.

That's the only reason that I can see that the Jets wouldn't want him. However if we had the pieces necessary without shooting ourselves in the foot...I'd totally be on board.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Depends...what will Vancouver add to the deal for us to take Lou and his brutal contract off their hands? :naughty:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would understand Chicago, Tampa, Washington, Toronto, New Jersey, Philadelphia or maybe Florida trading for Lu. I don't see the deal making a lick of sense for anyone else. Not saying all of those teams are or should be in, but I wouldn't understand others moving for Lu.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If you think:
1) Currently Pavs > Lu
2) TNSE wouldn't love to have Lu ignoring all other things
3) Lu's playoff experience is a) worse than his reg season b) worse than his peers c) anything to scoff at
4) Nuck's playoff failures are mostly on Lu's shoulder
Then you should probably re-evaluate things in a non-biased way

If you think:
1) we don't have excess pieces for a trade, let a lone a high-end one like this
2) if we traded for Lu we'd be a bottom feeding team with an aging goalie
3) Lu's contract is scary
4) TNSE wouldn't do this but has nothing to do with Lu's a) personality b) play
Then you are most likely right

I feel like you should make a flow chart of this. And have the ending results leading to different threads :naughty:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Regarding Luongo, Would there be an opportunity for a 3rd team to step in and help facilitate a deal in regards to salary? I know salary can be used in trades now, but just as a hypothetical?

If say a team like Jersey is looking at Lu, could we help the trade by offering them something for Volchenkov in order for them to make the #'s work?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Regarding Luongo, Would there be an opportunity for a 3rd team to step in and help facilitate a deal in regards to salary? I know salary can be used in trades now, but just as a hypothetical?

If say a team like Jersey is looking at Lu, could we help the trade by offering them something for Volchenkov in order for them to make the #'s work?

Probably in the next off season, that's when the cap goes down.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

If we could get something like Volchenkov out of it I'll send Hainsey to any team and take the weight of Hainsey, Lu and Volcehnkov's wages and caps...

Enstrom-Buff
Volchy-Bogo
game over

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
C Wellwood is sitting as is G Luongo. I can figure that if it were to happen, it would be C Wellwood, a top prospect in junior and perhaps a late round pick (at the most). All of this would be based on Wellwood signing an extension.

just a thought, weird that Wellwood would be out tonight,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad