Rumor: What if the Jets traded for Luongo - wouldn't this be nice

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Luongo would be an awesome goaltender for us to have...

But it ain't happening...
We don't have the pieces to be able to afford him and not collapse to MIN level last season (no depth but good goaltending).

White Out 403*

This contract is a giant mess, and the Jets brass won't touch it with a 10 foot poll. No thanks! And this is coming from a Pavelec critic.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
cost to buy out Pavs - $4M
Luongo is an all star in the prime of his career?

for say Burmi and a 4th.... to keep Scheifele on the roster this year. Or maybe Wellwood and a 2nd. I'd do this. They need a centre and they are desperate!

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Can't see the Jets touching this with a 10 foot pole.

Edit: Regarding the ridiculous idea of buying out Pavelec, the buyout window is closed.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I think Luongo is still a very good goaltender. Can you win with him? I am not so sure. Do I want him? No. I'd rather roll the dice on Pavelec. And let's be serious, Luongo's contract is absolutely ridiculous and I would never, ever, ever want any part of it.

I'll be surprised if this potential Luongo deal is what Gillis is saying it is. I think this is posturing on Gillis' part in order to get a team or two to step up thinking Gillis may move him to this "new" team nobody is thinking. I call BS.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

for say Burmi and a 4th.... to keep Scheifele on the roster this year. Or maybe Wellwood and a 2nd. I'd do this. They need a centre and they are desperate!

I like Lu, but I wouldn't do that trade.

Also, the cost to buy out Pav is closer to 11 million.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

They're not desperate at all.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Why the hell would we trade for a goalie right now and then place him behind such a horrible defense?

Might as well just leave fatty Pavs in goal and hope that facing a constant barrage of shots causes him to sweat off some of the booze belly.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Why the hell would we trade for a goalie right now and then place him behind such a horrible defense?

Might as well just leave fatty Pavs in goal and hope that facing a constant barrage of shots causes him to sweat off some of the booze belly.

LMAO Gump that is solid material there

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
We're building from within and with the draft and you think that the Jets ownership is going to exercise a buyout like that? Not a chance. I'm actually surprised they went out and got any free agents at all.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

^^^

You win the thread by a mile, and possibly the internet!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

LOL, /endthread

:handclap:

White Out 403*

calvin_and_hobbes_hugging_comics_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_p.jpg

I wanted to hug your post it was so funny

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I would not be happy sending an asset like Burmi to acquire Luongo. Nothing against Luongo as he's a better goalie than Pavelec, but losing Burmi, plus taking that hideous contract, plus then having to move Pavelec, doesn't seem like it makes the Jets better overall to me.

Savardian Spinarama

Grippin' 'n Grinnin'
Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I would not be happy sending an asset like Burmi to acquire Luongo. Nothing against Luongo as he's a better goalie than Pavelec, but losing Burmi, plus taking that hideous contract, plus then having to move Pavelec, doesn't seem like it makes the Jets better overall to me.

But the wholesale freak out and bitter debate which would follow would be awesome to follow.... at least for a little while.;)

ghost88*

Not happening. The Jets are confident in Pav' long term... as evident by his long term extension in the offseason.

We should have kept Mason though, that guy was the heart and soul of our team.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Luongo would be a major upgrade at goal. He's won an olympic gold and led the Cancuks to the Stanley cup final. Stats wise he's in the top 5 goalies in the league over the last number of years. Stats wise Pavs was horrendous last season.

With that said, the amount the Canucks are looking for in return isn't worth it. We're not at a place where we just need one piece to win it all. Mortgaging the future for an all-star goalie at this point in time doesn't make sense.

Plus Luongo has a no-trade. Probably wouldn't waive it to come here anyway.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
No thank you.
I'm not willing to give up what it will take to get him.
With Luo, but without the pieces it takes to get him we're a worse team.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

So the cost is Burmistrov + 4th + 16mil. (cost to buyout Pavelec) + cost of Luongo on his giant deal fooooor a goalie who can't win when his team needs it?

No thanks.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
So the cost is Burmistrov + 4th + 16mil. (cost to buyout Pavelec) + cost of Luongo on his giant deal fooooor a goalie who can't win when his team needs it?
No thanks.

The guy won the Olympic gold and led the team to game 7 of the Stanley cup finals. If your definition of win when his team needs it is simply winning the stanley cup, there are less thsan 5 goalies in the league who can win when his team needs it.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Can't see the Jets touching this with a 10 foot pole.

Edit: Regarding the ridiculous idea of buying out Pavelec, the buyout window is closed.

Just to further the discussion....

I was looking at buyout numbers for Pavs just yesterday. I assumed (in the highly unlikely event it ever happens) that we'd use a compliance buyout on him either this summer or next.

If we do so this summer, he's under 26, meaning the buyout is only 1/3 the contract.

June 2013 buyout:

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=365&buyout_y=2013&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

Total: $5,416,667 over 8 years

June 2014 buyout:

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=365&buyout_y=2014&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

Total: $8.5M over 6 years

Again, highly unlikely Chevy ever does this. But I have to admit, *I* thought about it.... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad