What if the flyers won the '07 Draft Lottery

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
We likely would've picked Patrick Kane, the player who scored the Stanley cup winning goal against us, could the series have ended differently? I hate dealing in what ifs, but it could have completely changed the SCF. For all we know we could have won the cup

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
This team, and the entire NHL for that matter, would be completely different than it is now if the Flyers were able to draft Patrick Kane. It's impossible to go back and envision an alternate scenario since so much would be changed.

Edit:
And the Flyers may not have been a better team in that scenario. Who knows how it would have played out? Obviously Kane is a better player than JVR, but the decisions that would have been made to accommodate Kane may have ultimately made the Flyers worse off than in "our timeline".

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
We likely would've picked Patrick Kane, the player who scored the Stanley cup winning goal against us, could the series have ended differently? I hate dealing in what ifs, but it could have completely changed the SCF. For all we know we could have won the cup

Gagne-Giroux-Kane
Carter-Richards-Carcillo?
Hartnell-Briere-Leino

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
Gagne-Giroux-Kane
Carter-Richards-Carcillo?
Hartnell-Briere-Leino

Gagne-Giroux-Kane
Carter-Lindros-Richards
Hartnell-Briere-Leino

Since we can undo the past in this thread, Let's just assume Big E never got hurt, and centered a ridiculous line with Carter and Richards.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't even know if the Flyers would have selected him anyway, despite what has transcended over these years since then but Kane wasn't a slam dunk to go #1 around that time. It was pretty close between him, Turris, & JVR with Turris actually being ranked #1 by NHL CS.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
had they drafted Kane I think the team likely doesn't look how it does. maybe Richards and Carter aren't traded. Maybe someone convinced Holmgren to go get a legit goalie and things turn out different.
nevermind the fact that Kane likely changes the Flyers draft position a few seasons and different players are here. too many variables

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
What if Michael Leighton had made that routine save on Kane in game-six OT?

What if Kimmo Timonen hadn't gotten beat to the inside on that play?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
A lot of people would still be pissed, because they were taking JVR even at number one. The Flyers liked him more than probably any other team at the draft.

Another 07 question. What if the flyers had taken Subban instead or Kevin "Fantasy Camp Moment of 24/7" Marshall?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
A lot of people would still be pissed, because they were taking JVR even at number one. The Flyers liked him more than probably any other team at the draft.

Another 07 question. What if the flyers had taken Subban instead or Kevin "Fantasy Camp Moment of 24/7" Marshall?

That one stings!
Most overrated prospect since Maxime Ouellet.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Butterfly effect! They pick Kane and the Flyers may not even make the playoffs the year they go to the Cup!

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
funny, we may have been better off in the long run taking Turris, who is turning into a heck-of-a-player...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Flyers would have drafted JVR anyway. ;)

I know you are semi-kidding but I'm somewhat confused by this take on that draft b/c my recollection was that the Flyers thought Kane was the most NHL ready and would have drafted him. I know Kane wasn't exactly a consensus #1 but he definitely had the edge on the other two from what I recall. I also recall Holmgren's disappointment when Chicago came out of nowhere and nabbed our pick ..he said "we can't even lose to win (the draft)."

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Kane was the consensus 1. He was so far ahead of jvr it wasn't even fair. Kane really made waves when he was on the us developmental team, people had never seen an american kid do the thing he was doing. Jvr was drafted on potential.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Kane was the consensus 1. He was so far ahead of jvr it wasn't even fair. Kane really made waves when he was on the us developmental team, people had never seen an american kid do the thing he was doing. Jvr was drafted on potential.

That is what I thought and recall. It was Kane then everybody else...JVR and Turris were more about future potential. I even thought the Flyers should have taken Turris...

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I know you are semi-kidding but I'm somewhat confused by this take on that draft b/c my recollection was that the Flyers thought Kane was the most NHL ready and would have drafted him. I know Kane wasn't exactly a consensus #1 but he definitely had the edge on the other two from what I recall. I also recall Holmgren's disappointment when Chicago came out of nowhere and nabbed our pick ..he said "we can't even lose to win (the draft)."

No one was head and shoulders above everyone else as a consensus number one for that draft. I don't know if Holmgren's quote was about losing out on Kane or the chance to definitively get the guy they wanted.

They may have been leaning towards Kane, but I think there's a decent chance that the Flyers may have gone for JVR had they had the number one pick.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
What could have been. Who knows how having Kane would affect the future.

I remember watching the draft with my dad and not being sold on the JVR pick. :(

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
No one was head and shoulders above everyone else as a consensus number one for that draft. I don't know if Holmgren's quote was about losing out on Kane or the chance to definitively get the guy they wanted.

They may have been leaning towards Kane, but I think there's a decent chance that the Flyers may have gone for JVR had they had the number one pick.

At the time, I believe it was stated that JVR had the highest upside out of the two. Combine that with Holmgren's love for big players, and the fact that he's a local kid, I think there's definitely a chance we'd have taken him at #1.

I know we all get upset that JVR isn't here anymore to play on Giroux's wing, but it really stings thinking that we could have Kane there now. :(

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
At the time, I believe it was stated that JVR had the highest upside out of the two. Combine that with Holmgren's love for big players, and the fact that he's a local kid, I think there's definitely a chance we'd have taken him at #1.

I know we all get upset that JVR isn't here anymore to play on Giroux's wing, but it really stings thinking that we could have Kane there now. :(

That's exactly what I was thinking, flyers make the best out of every pick but the highest ones apparently, our 22nd pick is a game changer, our 2nd pick is a streaky player for us who goes on to play well on another team :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad