OT: "What If" scenario for people going to outdoor game..

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So I'm not going to the outdoor game, but those of you who are, riddle me this.

What if the game was tonight?

Would you travel to the South Bronx tonight, freezing cold outside, sit outside for 3 hours to watch them play the Rangers right now?

The GDT thread from last night was a hot mess of frustration. Would anyone not go (money paid aside), if tonight was the game?

Just curious.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com

Would you travel to the South Bronx tonight, freezing cold outside, sit outside for 3 hours to watch them play the Rangers right now?

The GDT thread from last night was a hot mess of frustration. Would anyone not go (money paid aside), if tonight was the game?

Just curious.

I've got tickets. It may wind up being the only game I go to - this coming from a former season ticket holder.

Regardless of standings, the outdoor game is an exciting concept. It's deeply rooted in the sport and something I don't want to miss.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

Just curious.
Yes if i had tickets i would go.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I would sell the tickets for big $. The Islanders aren't worth freezing to death over.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
I would sell the tickets for big $. The Islanders aren't worth freezing to death over.

They are still having trouble selling the tickets at face value ($50 gift card incentive right now).

I'm going with my son if it's anything other than a blizzard. We've got crappy seats but it's something he'll be able to look back on and we're fans regardless of how poorly the team is performing.

scott99

May 13, 2005
They are still having trouble selling the tickets at face value ($50 gift card incentive right now).

I'm going with my son if it's anything other than a blizzard. We've got crappy seats but it's something he'll be able to look back on and we're fans regardless of how poorly the team is performing.

That sounds wonderful, you're a great Dad. If I had a son, I might do what you're doing, but I don't, so it's easy for my to not care about going, just like Snow/Wang don't care about improving the Isles.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
especially with this season's performance i'm sure it will be about 95% ranger fans, but whatever. This will prob be the only game I go to for the rest of the season, coming from someone who historically attends about 15-20 games a season. not wasting any more money

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Scott, I freeze enough every morning when I go running, I'm not going to do it for Wang, Snow and Crappy. They haven't gotten any money from me since the end of the 2006 season and that is never going to change.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Almost 10K tickets available on StubHub.
They are paying you $50 to buy tickets at face.
This is not working out the way the NHL wanted.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Scott, I freeze enough every morning when I go running, I'm not going to do it for Wang, Snow and Crappy. They haven't gotten any money from me since the end of the 2006 season and that is never going to change.

Rex, what is this "running" you speak of ? The last time I exercised was the last time you went to a game in 2006. I always say, every time I get the urge to exercise, I lay down until that urge goes away.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Just wait.

Like Daulton said in Roadhouse, "It's gunna get worse before it gets better"

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Rex, what is this "running" you speak of ? The last time I exercised was the last time you went to a game in 2006. I always say, every time I get the urge to exercise, I lay down until that urge goes away.

Scott, even though I'm old, I run about 6 miles every day. Have to stay in top shape.

John Cenaaaaa

Sep 8, 2013
Vancouver
It's a once in a lifetime experience! You have to go, even if it was tonight! Why'd you buy the tickets in the first place if you're having these second thoughts now?!

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

It's call "Jumping the Shark".

NHL had a great thing with the Winter Classic but couldn't be satisfied with a once a year spectacle. Classic case of more is not a good thing.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Just curious.

Team performance aside, I would not go and sit in the upper deck at Yankee Stadium miles away from the action just to say "I was there". Just not worth it.

Throw in play of the team and you couldn't pay me money to sit thru it.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
It's a once in a lifetime experience! You have to go, even if it was tonight! Why'd you buy the tickets in the first place if you're having these second thoughts now?!

I don't have tickets. Didn't even consider it.

The BEST scenario possible would be that both the Isles and Rangers are playing well and close in the standings AND we have temps in the 50's for the game.

then, we could have a sellout..

If you take the current setup of teams, standings, weather and performance, you wont get anywhere near a sellout. You will be able to buy tix on the street before the game for a fraction of the face value. Alot of people will be pissed.

beLIever

Mar 5, 2011
New York
I'm a STH (I know, I'm a moron), and I've passed on this opportunity to sit far away, in seats that cost a couple of hundred bucks, with an obstructed view, and watch the Islanders lose.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I bought tickets for one reason only and that's to be at an outdoor game. I love the winter classic, not a fan of them diluting this event but I would have went had it been just devils/rangers. how this season is going isn't really going to affect why I'd go or not. It's probably never happening with this team so to me its worth it.

The cold is not an issue to me if you bundle up properly you don't even feel it.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I'm going and I'm pumped, regardless of how they are playing at the moment. Once in a life time experience... That's all it comes down to. Not going from the second I heard of the game to the time I got tickets to now and until the night of the game, it has never been or will ever be a consideration to not go...even if we lose 5-0 I will still have no regrets.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
they're saving all their mojo for that 1 game for it is our Stanley Cup, and will likely be the most important game we play for another 25 years.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

I feel like it is just poor planing.
I mean its a weeknight for starters. It is also one of two outdoor games.
This has to be a Drawback. It does not feel unique the rangers are playing twice. I am sure it also does not help that the tickets seem to Be overpriced.
Its is also not the only "outdoor" Building this year. Hell its not even a Winter Classic. They are "flooding" there own product .

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
I wouldn't go if ya paid me. First of all they saturated the NY market with two games. Of course the Devs/NYR game sold out because its a novelty. Who the hell wants to go to NYR/Isles after they just went to the first game. The Isles could have helped themselves by actually being competitive this season. The secondary market is shot for this game. In my case, I just let a NYR buddy buy my allotment for the Isles game. Yes, I offered my Isles fans right of first refusal but they all said no. I wouldn't even go if the Isles were having a good season, too damn cold.:nod:

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I wouldn't go if ya paid me. First of all they saturated the NY market with two games. Of course the Devs/NYR game sold out because its a novelty. Who the hell wants to go to NYR/Isles after they just went to the first game. The Isles could have helped themselves by actually being competitive this season. The secondary market is shot for this game. In my case, I just let a NYR buddy buy my allotment for the Isles game. Yes, I offered my Isles fans right of first refusal but they all said no. I wouldn't even go if the Isles were having a good season, too damn cold.:nod:

Secondary market is still way above face value though.

And I'm not calling you out individually I'm saying this cause people at work and around here have complained about it also but maybe I just have a high tolerance for cold weather but I feel like its just a weak excuse. I've gone to dozens of football games late in the season if you wear the right stuff you're going to be fine... We live in New York not Phoenix.

After a little bit your body adjusts and you don't even feel it... Or hell just have some drinks and you won't feel anything at all :laugh:

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Such a poorly planned concept.
I agree they should have left well enough alone with the New Years Day game but if they had to add games I would have done a home and home series between two cities playing one game on New Years and one game on Presidents Day something like this

Rangers vs. Bruins Jan 1st Yankee stadium

Bruins vs. Rangers Feb. 17th Fenway Park.

Then every year you could replicate this with other rival cities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad