What if it happens again (another end-of-season collapse)?

LeafsFIO*

A poster, with a Mark Fraser profile photo no less, says the Leafs are cursed, then changes his tone hours later by saying that the Leafs will somehow become a good team by embracing analytics. I can't even...

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The way the Leafs play it should be no surprise that some fans become bipolar.:sarcasm:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
A lot of people say they want the Leafs to win a Cup in their lifetime. I will unequivocally state that so long as the regular season is longer than 55 games, this group of Maple Leafs will never make the playoffs ever again .

So you are saying that this group is going to be together forever?

:shakehead

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The thread is simple and self-explanatory.

What would you reaction be if the Leafs had another end-of-season collapse?

You don't think that the Leafs have shown the trend that they are incapable of playing in high pressure situations, incapable of playing when it counts and properly closing out a season?

The proof is in the pudding. Every year they have some sort of collapse.

When did we change the definition of 'three' to mean the same as 'every'?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
For the past three years the Leafs have had an end-of-season collapse.

Three years ago: the collapse was so monumental and staggering that Burke coined the now infamous term "18-wheeler" to describe the gargantuan extent of the Leafs' futility at the end of the 2011/2012 season. The Leafs were in a playoff spot all season long, and they started to unravel at the 55-game mark.

Two years ago: the Leafs finally made the playoffs*. The asterisk means: they finally made the playoffs in a shortened, 48-game season. They looked good up until game 7 against the Bruins in the quarter-finals. Then they had another historic collapse, breaking records in the worst way possible. They participated in the worst game 7 third period collapse in the history of the NHL. And surprise, surprise, game 7 happened to be the 55-game mark of the 2012/2013 year (48 games + 7 playoff games = 55 games).

One year ago: the Leafs were in a playoff spot all year-long and started to unravel at the 55-game mark, yet again. They lost 12 of their last 14 games. That means they earned only 4 points out of a possible 28 in the stretch drive to make the playoffs. That means they only won 2 games in more than one month to close out the season.

A lot of people say they want the Leafs to win a Cup in their lifetime. I will unequivocally state that so long as the regular season is longer than 55 games, this group of Maple Leafs will never make the playoffs ever again .

The life goes on and will hope for the better results year after - lol :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Let's
Get
Dangerous

tumblr_m3218686lq1rtzle6o1_400.gif

Leafspoison*

Hard to Colapse when we are already at the bottom.

Bring on McLovin and Erkel.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Folks, always take your prescription pills. Even if you think you're feeling better and don't need to finish them.

Last edited:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Wasn't it that instead of a late season collapse, the Leafs would get hot at the end of the season after sucking from October through to March?

hockeyfanz*

So if we asterisk our playoff berth, shouldn't everyone else have an asterisk? shouldn't the hawks cup have an asterisk on it?

Yes it should.

Except you'd have to either no nothing about hockey or be a complete moron to think that the Hawks Cup victory was a fluke.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
So a few weeks ago you started a thread (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1703987) asking if the Leafs could be legitimate contenders and ended your post with "I can easily see that lineup going deep into the playoffs."

And now you are saying "I will unequivocally state that so long as the regular season is longer than 55 games, this group of Maple Leafs will never make the playoffs ever again."

heh

That thread was made before Carlyle was extended - so you can understand why I thought the Leafs would be more successful.

Now we know that Carlyle is staying on - that's why I made the thread.

But then Loiselle and Poulin got fired and an analytics expert (Dubas) was brought on as Assistant GM. So I have bumped up my prediction back to Guaranteed Conference Finalsâ„¢ with a chance to go pretty deep.

It's not that far-fetched....

JMcLeaf

That thread was made before Carlyle was extended - so you can understand why I thought the Leafs would be more successful.

Now we know that Carlyle is staying on - that's why I made the thread.

But then Loiselle and Poulin got fired and an analytics expert (Dubas) was brought on as Assistant GM. So I have bumped up my prediction back to Guaranteed Conference Finalsâ„¢ with a chance to go pretty deep.

It's not that far-fetched....

Carlyle got his extension in May. You made that thread in early July.

summerstorm

Dec 5, 2011

You don't think that the Leafs have shown the trend that they are incapable of playing in high pressure situations, incapable of playing when it counts and properly closing out a season?

same as in years past...grab a beer...watch the Jays and not let it make me post crap threads...its a freakin' game...your life needs entertainment, but to focus on one aspect in your life is an effort in futility...let go...you'll enjoy the game more once you realize you can't control the result...or you kin keep making silly threads...choice is good...;))

Ace88*

Yes it should.

Except you'd have to either no nothing about hockey or be a complete moron to think that the Hawks Cup victory was a fluke.

Exactly. The Leafs playoffs wasnt a fluke. They played very very well and fully deserved it. Saying anything else opens up a big grab bag of conjecture and butterflies.

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
In the playoffs, assume an average of 5.5 games per round, so 22 total playoff games through 4 rounds to win the Cup.

For the Leafs to have any chance at meaningful playoff success (Stanley Cup victory), the regular season + 22 playoff games would have to equal to 55.

So 55 total games - 22 playoff games = 33 regular season games.

Eventually this core will retire and actual LEGITIMATE hockey players will be on the Leafs. Maybe then the Leafs will win the playoffs or the Cup.

Technically, it would need to be 54 games, as the collapse started on game 55. The only reason there would/will be a collapse this upcoming season is if Randy makes it happen. There's no reason that this team can't compete for a full season if utilized properly.
Oh, if it does happen though, Carlyle will be fired, no doubt.

Feb 24, 2004

2012 and 2014 were because the team just wasn't very good. It wasn't because they can't play in high pressure situations.

2013 was a complete fluke of legendary proportions.

To answer your question though, if the Leafs had another end-of-season collapse, I would be upset.

Feb 24, 2004
So a few weeks ago you started a thread (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1703987) asking if the Leafs could be legitimate contenders and ended your post with "I can easily see that lineup going deep into the playoffs."

And now you are saying "I will unequivocally state that so long as the regular season is longer than 55 games, this group of Maple Leafs will never make the playoffs ever again."

heh

Ruh roh

hockeyfanz*

Exactly. The Leafs playoffs wasnt a fluke. They played very very well and fully deserved it. Saying anything else opens up a big grab bag of conjecture and butterflies.

Wasn't my point. In fact was the opposite of my point. The Hawks are clearly a top 3 team in hockey therefore the shortened season really didn't mean much to their success. Not so sure the same can be said for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in the last decade with the EXCEPTION of a shortened season.

Perhaps there simply wasn't enough time for the Leafs to pull the chute and choke.

Last edited by a moderator:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leafs are a Bubble Team.
Collapsing is just the law of averages finally catching up with them.
:)

The Leafs could make the playoffs, but it'd be hard to win Lord Stanley.

I'm in favour of a rebuild. I think defense wins playoff games, so I am willing to dump any forward to acquire the best dmen possible.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Shanahan is likely using this season as an evaluation period before blowing it all up. I'm sure he has some notions about the club and if they're confirmed once again, this group will get dynamited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad