What if it happens again (another end-of-season collapse)?

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
For the past three years the Leafs have had an end-of-season collapse.

Three years ago: the collapse was so monumental and staggering that Burke coined the now infamous term "18-wheeler" to describe the gargantuan extent of the Leafs' futility at the end of the 2011/2012 season. The Leafs were in a playoff spot all season long, and they started to unravel at the 55-game mark.

Two years ago: the Leafs finally made the playoffs*. The asterisk means: they finally made the playoffs in a shortened, 48-game season. They looked good up until game 7 against the Bruins in the quarter-finals. Then they had another historic collapse, breaking records in the worst way possible. They participated in the worst game 7 third period collapse in the history of the NHL. And surprise, surprise, game 7 happened to be the 55-game mark of the 2012/2013 year (48 games + 7 playoff games = 55 games).

One year ago: the Leafs were in a playoff spot all year-long and started to unravel at the 55-game mark, yet again. They lost 12 of their last 14 games. That means they earned only 4 points out of a possible 28 in the stretch drive to make the playoffs. That means they only won 2 games in more than one month to close out the season.

A lot of people say they want the Leafs to win a Cup in their lifetime. I will unequivocally state that so long as the regular season is longer than 55 games, this group of Maple Leafs will never make the playoffs ever again .

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
What.... is this?

The thread is simple and self-explanatory.

What would you reaction be if the Leafs had another end-of-season collapse?

You don't think that the Leafs have shown the trend that they are incapable of playing in high pressure situations, incapable of playing when it counts and properly closing out a season?

The proof is in the pudding. Every year they have some sort of collapse.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I was more referring to this

I will unequivocally state that so long as the regular season is longer than 55 games, this group of Maple Leafs will never make the playoffs ever again .

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I believe a core of:

JVR Bozak Kessel
Kadri McDavid Nylander

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Granberg

Bernier

Can make the playoffs next year. :)

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
So then the goal is to petition the league for a shorter season? I'm sure they'll go along with that.

In the playoffs, assume an average of 5.5 games per round, so 22 total playoff games through 4 rounds to win the Cup.

For the Leafs to have any chance at meaningful playoff success (Stanley Cup victory), the regular season + 22 playoff games would have to equal to 55.

So 55 total games - 22 playoff games = 33 regular season games.

The regular season would need to be a maximum of 33 regular season games for this core to win the Cup.

Eventually this core will retire and actual LEGITIMATE hockey players will be on the Leafs. Maybe then the Leafs will win the playoffs or the Cup.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I don`t think it`s unreasonable to assume that this core can`t make the playoffs in any season longer than 55 games.

It doesn`t matter how good the core is on paper - something is rotten, and the results speak for themselves.

This core has been in a playoff spot more than they've been OUT of a playoff spot the past three seasons.

it's taken MASSIVE collapses to get this team out of the playoffs in 11-12 and 13-14.

We injected a lot of support this season, similar to what we had in 12-13 on top of our steady goaltending, we're a better, more rounded team than the one last season that was in a playoff spot for 80% of the season.

Not guarenting we'll make the playoffs, but with how equally weak the east conference is, as well as some smart moves here to give us 4 capable lines and more depth, I guarentee you we will be in the playoff hunt for the whole season.

I also guarentee another collapse won't be accept, Carlyle will get tossed and a big core piece will go, management doesnt consider game 7 as big of a collapse as last season's, they're giving the main core one more shot and giving them new, better support pieces(some old ones that worked).

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Our organization needs to adapt as a whole in order to get the most out of our players as well as the new ones we bring in. Shanny is starting to do that so please keep calm. Everyone around Carlyle and Nonis has been fired and it's pretty evident that if the adjustments aren't made properly towards our on-ice product, they will be gone as well and Shanny can finish his personnel changes completely.

Having said that I do not see why this ship can not find smoother waters ahead. We're in a conference where a lot of other teams are in the same spot we are in. They all have their own problems just like we do, you won't hear much about them though because they're not Toronto.

To answer your question. If there was another collapse, I would shrug my shoulders, wave good bye to Nonis and Carlyle and get the popcorn ready for the lottery/draft.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
I just found out the Leafs fired Loiselle and Poulin and hired Dubas as assistant GM... he is a big analytics guy.

... Hmmm... maybe I'll have to adjust my predictions then. The Leafs could do some damage if they actually embrace analytics.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
That's funny. The Leafs used to have a reputation for starting horribly and finishing hot just outside a playoff spot.

Soooooo, no.

Ace88*

So if we asterisk our playoff berth, shouldn't everyone else have an asterisk? shouldn't the hawks cup have an asterisk on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafspoison*

Are you saying a collapse might NOT happen? Come onnnnn, just come onnnnnnnn.

Its what the leafs do. I don't know what to think now. Thanks for the doubt......lol

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I don't think we'll have a chance to collapse this year. We'll already be out of it. In fact, a collapse may be a good thing to get us closer to McDavid.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
im convinced that shannahan wants to tank. it is the only logical explanation for the moves made this off season.

1. extend coach, fire assistants
2. keep gm, fire assistants, hire VERY young stats based assistant
3. get rid of bolland,kulemin, raymond, gleason, ranger, gunnarson, mclemment
4. bring in komorov, kontiola?, booth, polak, santorelli

our team is basically,

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-clarkson
komorov-kontioal-booth
santorelli-holland-bodie/ashton/smith/orr

gardiner-phaneuf
rielly-robidas
franson-polak

bernier
reimer

unless there is some overachieving going on at best this is a bubble team. shannahan seems pretty astute. if leafs look like they arent going anywhere by deadline im sure he is going to look to move pieces away to maximize the leafs draft position.

pieces like franson, polak, reimer, lupul, booth, orr, holland, santorelli and anything else not bolted down should be gone.

so to the op......i dont think its a matter of will the leafs collapse at the end of the season, its more of a question of how quickly does shannahan start taking the team apart.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Define collapse.

If we never make the playoffs except for one shortened season that's not a collapse that's consistency (in the wrong way of course).

So the question should be "What if the Leafs stay consistent this year"?

JMcLeaf

So a few weeks ago you started a thread (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1703987) asking if the Leafs could be legitimate contenders and ended your post with "I can easily see that lineup going deep into the playoffs."

And now you are saying "I will unequivocally state that so long as the regular season is longer than 55 games, this group of Maple Leafs will never make the playoffs ever again."

heh

Ace88*

So a few weeks ago you started a thread (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1703987) asking if the Leafs could be legitimate contenders and ended your post with "I can easily see that lineup going deep into the playoffs."

And now you are saying "I will unequivocally state that so long as the regular season is longer than 55 games, this group of Maple Leafs will never make the playoffs ever again."

heh

oh that pesky posting history! it'll getcha

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Investigators suspect that alcohol was involved in the original post.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

heh

no no - you missed it because then later, he said (in that thread) that he was out to lunch :nod: so i don't think he believes that we're contenders anymore :nod:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If the Leafs miss the playoffs next year, especially if it comes in the fashion of an epic collapse somewhere along the way I would clean house.

Only safe guys would be Rielly / Gardiner / Kadri / Bernier / Nylander + prospects

Everything else would be gone to the highest bidder. That likely includes JVR, Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf etc.

Ace88*

And why would you ditch JVR when he's proven to be clutch when we need him most? I can see the argument against Kessel (which mostly consists of "DURR KESSEL DOESNT PLAY LIEK BERGERON SO GET RID OF HIM!!"), but JVR? Out to lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad