Speculation: WHAT IF?? (Grasping straws...)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Please stop. Erik is not coming back. Melynk is not selling until Lebreton is completed. Karlsson is not a cancer in the room.

One glance at the facility San Jose operates out of and how there players are treated will have EK forgetting our tin can operation in seconds...seriously their rink and facilities are top notch, then you add in the weather and competitive team.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
#1 isn't happening because of the reported animosity v. Melnyk.

#2 is possible, but...remember all the character Murray and Dorion have been adding to the team? Remember the character and leadership this team is vaunted to have, from Boro to Stone to Phaneuf (when he was here) to Smith and so on? So with aaaaaaallllllllllll this character, not one of these dudes could step in, mediate, settle things down right? But they didn't.

It's not about someone being poison in the room. It's about the team being shit, with contracts given to marginal players and extensions that are given to players for loyalty reason rather than productivity reasons. That's it.
Clean up the front office, clean the locker room of barnacles like Borowiecki, Smith, Ceci, Ryan and go from there.
But to do that takes money and will. And this team lacks both, and has for quite some time.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
One glance at the facility San Jose operates out of and how there players are treated will have EK forgetting our tin can operation in seconds...seriously their rink and facilities are top notch, then you add in the weather and competitive team.

"Golden days are ahead"

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
Only thing is so much of SJS is "old". Does EK65 want to sign there for 8 years? Their window is closing and he gives them a much better chance short-term but the last few years with little to nothing coming up the pipeline, including having 1st round picks for the next few years should make him think twice about committing there long-term.

I don't think he signs there. I think he hits UFA, unless SJS find themselves out of the playoffs and they move him at the TDL for much more than they gave Ottawa now. Like they did already this summer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Pretty damned hard to compete with a team that spends, and sunny California. Trade deadline hits in February and Erik is hanging out on the beach sipping a drink while we're scraping ice off the windshield in -25C windchill....not hard to think which is the more attractive option.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Only thing is so much of SJS is "old". Does EK65 want to sign there for 8 years? Their window is closing and he gives them a much better chance short-term but the last few years with little to nothing coming up the pipeline, including having 1st round picks for the next few years should make him think twice about committing there long-term.

I don't think he signs there. I think he hits UFA, unless SJS find themselves out of the playoffs and they move him at the TDL for much more than they gave Ottawa now. Like they did already this summer.

I think you're correct.

San Jose basically only has Kane, Couture, Burns, Jones and Valsic locked up long term.... to when Karlsson would be still be there if he signs a 7 or 8 year contract with SJ.

Yes Hertl is still around for the next three seasons, but pretty much everyone else is in their final year of their contracts.

I think their window is almost closed after this season, as their team is ageing, and the other teams they compete with in the Western Conference are all much younger.

Besides, EK65 wants to play in Florida, with his good buddy Hedman, and they have many more of their "core players" locked up longer than SJ does ............ I think it's one season and gone for EK 65.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think you're correct.

San Jose basically only has Kane, Couture, Burns, Jones and Valsic locked up long term.... to when Karlsson would be still be there if he signs a 7 or 8 year contract with SJ.

Yes Hertl is still around for the next three seasons, but pretty much everyone else is in their final year of their contracts.

I think their window is almost closed after this season, as their team is ageing, and the other teams they compete with in the Western Conference are all much younger.

Besides, EK65 wants to play in Florida, with his good buddy Hedman, and they have many more of their "core players" locked up longer than SJ does ............ I think it's one season and gone for EK 65.
How do you know this?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Just going by their life long friendship, and Tampa having a longer opening of their window vs SJ, and Tampa being one of the teams that made a big push for him, when they thought he was available.
So without a direct quote from Karlsson stating he'd want to play with Tampa you use common sense? How come you can't do the same with regards to anything Dorion/Melnyk related?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So without a direct quote from Karlsson stating he'd want to play with Tampa you use common sense? How come you can't do the same with regards to anything Dorion/Melnyk related?

I do.

Common sense dictates that if EM wanted to rid himself of EK65, and his salary, prior to the deadline, he would have ordered PD to trade him at the deadline, to save the max. money, and get the highest possible return for him at the same time.

Because EK65 was not traded at the deadline, it's only common sense that the decision to trade him was made after the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad