Speculation: WHAT IF?? (Grasping straws...)

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Like most of the rest of you I am wrecked by the Karlsson trade and the trajectory of the team.

But what if.... what if there really are things here going on behind the scenes that we don't know? What if these things we don't understand are actually the right things that should be happening?

What If #1

What if Karlsson plan to come back next season after the Melnyk sells the Senators? And What If they discussed with him that the best way he could help the Senators is by playing somewhere else this year?

Think about this. The Senators basically got a rental price for Karlsson. It is inconceivable to think that this is the best return Dorion could have gotten for Karlsson. Especially when the rumors of offers from other teams were far more significant. It is very possible that both Ottawa and San Jose are under the understanding that Karlsson does not plan to re-sign. San Jose gave up a rental price for the opportunity to win it all this year while they still have window to win.

Karlsson plans to return next year as a UFA after the team is under new ownership. The best way he could have helped this team this year is by providing the Senators with draft picks and some decent prospects for down the line, rather then spending a year on the team as a bottom dweller.

So SJ gets Karlsson for their Stanley Cup Push, Senators get to not have to pay Karlssons salary for the year + they get prospects, roster players, draft picks. This could have also been tied to the Hoffman deal earlier. Dorion needed to get Hoffman off the team ASAP, and San Jose was willing to take him (with the intention to flip) so that they could get Karlsson later on.

Sounds crazy but it could be.

What If #2

What if trading Karlsson is an addition by subtraction kind of thing? What if the rumors are true and the guy is a poisonous element to the locker room? Maybe he is an ego maniac. Maybe after the death of his child his personality changed and he was a total drag and stopped caring to be responsible as captain. What if the team really did turn on him as the captain?

Maybe by getting rid of Karlsson the team is gaining a cohesion that they didn't have last year and that a team must have to be successful? It seems unlikely because Karlsson seems to be such a great guy, but there have been more than one player that has alluded to the fact that Karlsson was the locker room problem (Anderson the most recent).

So what if by moving Karlsson, a new on ice team leadership and cohesion allows this team to play better? Yes the team lost incredible talent, but if they also removed the negative element that caused them to not together - then there was no way they could ever be successful.

The team takes a step back by losing the talent, but takes a step forward by having a better "team." I have had to do this personally by firing an employee who was fantastic and very productive, because her attitude just brought the rest of the co-workers down. Everyone felt better after she left, and we found that although it was difficult to make up her skill, we were able to be more successful because everyone was working together harder and happier.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'm pretty sure these two exact scenarios have been posited and debated as nauseum already.

#1 . Is a wildly optimistic fantasy scenario that's like a dream ending to a movie.

#2. Yeah. Maybe. But probably not.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Scenario 3: He likes the city of Ottawa, but does not like Melnyk. He may wait until free agency to sign with a team he likes and control his own destiny.

Reactions: DJB and armani

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If Erik was indeed a poisonous figure in the locker room, then how the hell did they go on that Cup run last year? That entire team showed unity and strength and togetherness like few Sens teams have ever shown. And he was at the forefront of that on and off the ice.

Also, egomaniacs don't act the way he did during the handshake line with Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If Erik was indeed a poisonous figure in the locker room, then how the hell did they go on that Cup run last year? That entire team showed unity and strength and togetherness like few Sens teams have ever shown. And he was at the forefront of that on and off the ice.
No, you see, they went on that run DESPITE Karlsson!

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It’s not about winning. It’s about holding the door for your teammates and showing character.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Like most of the rest of you I am wrecked by the Karlsson trade and the trajectory of the team.

But what if.... what if there really are things here going on behind the scenes that we don't know? What if these things we don't understand are actually the right things that should be happening?

What If #1

What if Karlsson plan to come back next season after the Melnyk sells the Senators? And What If they discussed with him that the best way he could help the Senators is by playing somewhere else this year?

Think about this. The Senators basically got a rental price for Karlsson. It is inconceivable to think that this is the best return Dorion could have gotten for Karlsson. Especially when the rumors of offers from other teams were far more significant. It is very possible that both Ottawa and San Jose are under the understanding that Karlsson does not plan to re-sign. San Jose gave up a rental price for the opportunity to win it all this year while they still have window to win.

Karlsson plans to return next year as a UFA after the team is under new ownership. The best way he could have helped this team this year is by providing the Senators with draft picks and some decent prospects for down the line, rather then spending a year on the team as a bottom dweller.

So SJ gets Karlsson for their Stanley Cup Push, Senators get to not have to pay Karlssons salary for the year + they get prospects, roster players, draft picks. This could have also been tied to the Hoffman deal earlier. Dorion needed to get Hoffman off the team ASAP, and San Jose was willing to take him (with the intention to flip) so that they could get Karlsson later on.

Sounds crazy but it could be.

So in this scenario...

Karlsson = Dumbledore
Dorion = Snape

(Melnyk = Voldemort)

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
What if scenario #1 won't happen and scenario #2 is typical ottawa fan rumor bullshit.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Karlsson will probably re-sign after experiencing what it’s like being in a real NHL organization.

Melnyk is also still delusional and will probably hold onto the team for longer than a year.

I feel I have seen this play out time and time again. A player leaves the only org he has ever played for and is heartbroken at the beginning, but then also realizes what else is out there and how other org's operate, they become happy and comfortable again, and decide to stay.

Sorry, I don't see Karlsson coming back. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: YOW

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Please stop. Erik is not coming back. Melynk is not selling until Lebreton is completed. Karlsson is not a cancer in the room.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I feel I have seen this play out time and time again. A player leaves the only org he has ever played for and is heartbroken at the beginning, but then also realizes what else is out there and how other org's operate, they become happy and comfortable again, and decide to stay.

Sorry, I don't see Karlsson coming back. I hope I am wrong.

Yeah this is the most common and likely outcome. The one mitigating factor could be his wife's very close family and business ties to Ottawa....would be ironic to have a player's spouse pressuring them to move back to Canada for once.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Scenario 1 is a pipe dream. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if this were true... but I'm not an optimist.

Scenario 2 is propaganda bull shit.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Speaking of that :

If anybody wants to relive the thing again. That team was beautiful, almost brought a tear to my eye when I'm thinking that so many of those players are now gone. Look at the roster (mostly built by Murray) and how Dorion has absolutely gutted it 15 months later. OUT in red :

Erik Karlsson, D
Bobby Ryan, RW (will be gone as soon as possible, although might need his contract to reach the cap floor)
Derick Brassard, C
Mike Hoffman, LW
Kyle Turris, C

Jean-Gabriel Pageau, C
(injured long term right now)
Clarke MacArthur, LW (injuries ended his career though)
Mark Stone, RW (will they be able to retain him?)
Zack Smith, C (probably be gone as soon as enough young players are ready)
Alex Burrows, LW (retirement)
Dion Phaneuf, D
Marc Methot, D

Chris Wideman, D
(UFA at the end of the year and since he will have more opportunity to put numbers, he will price himself out of Ottawa)
Fredrik Claesson, D
Ryan Dzingel, LW
(UFA at the end of the year, another that may price himself out of Ottawa)
Ben Harpur, D (rookie, played 9 games though)
Viktor Stalberg, LW
Tom Pyatt, C
(UFA at the end of the year, probably gone as well)
Cody Ceci, D (RFA at the end of the year, his future in Ottawa still unknown)
Colin White, C (rookie, played only 1 game)
Chris Neil, RW (retirement)
Chris Kelly, C (retirement)
Mark Borowiecki, D (injured, played only 2 games)
Tommy Wingels, C

Won't be long until they complete a FULL rebuild.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Speaking of that :

If anybody wants to relive the thing again. That team was beautiful, almost brought a tear to my eye when I'm thinking that so many of those players are now gone. Look at the roster (mostly built by Murray) and how Dorion has absolutely gutted it 15 months later. OUT in red :

Erik Karlsson, D
Bobby Ryan, RW (will be gone as soon as possible, although might need his contract to reach the cap floor)
Derick Brassard, C
Mike Hoffman, LW
Kyle Turris, C

Jean-Gabriel Pageau, C
Dion Phaneuf, D
Marc Methot, D

Chris Wideman, D
(UFA at the end of the year and since he will have more opportunity to put numbers, he will price himself out of Ottawa)
Fredrik Claesson, D
Ryan Dzingel, LW
Viktor Stalberg, LW
Tom Pyatt, C
Tommy Wingels, C

Probably our best average team to date.

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
I am going with #1. Let's look at this next year when he returns and we will see that it all made sense and how did we not see it before... I want it to be true, so it is. #1 for sure.
Next steps... sell off Stone under the same premise but keep Duchene as the odds of him returning after tasting freedom are weak?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This hope of EK returning after 1 year also surfaced when Alfie left to Detroit, fans talked about how Alfie
may come back and Murray hinted at it.

EK is not coming back next year. He’s gone for so many reasons, and those can’t all change by July 1.

It hurts to be a Sens fan right now, and it may be 30 years before we get another Erik Karlsson. Just think of the residuals that still exist with Alfie and Ownership over his exit, that was 6 years ago, the EK wound won’t be healed before July 1

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Speaking of that :

Erik Karlsson, D
Derick Brassard, C
Mike Hoffman, LW
Kyle Turris, C

Jean-Gabriel Pageau, C
Dion Phaneuf, D
Marc Methot, D

Chris Wideman, D
Fredrik Claesson, D
Ryan Dzingel, LW
Viktor Stalberg, LW
Tom Pyatt, C
Tommy Wingels, C

What a joke.

Watch the video and listen to how many times they say Karlsson.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What a joke.

Watch the video and listen to how many times they say Karlsson.

That was such a great run to witness, that’s why we are hockey fans, you can’t buy that type of emotion. EK and Ryan came up so huge, they literally took this team to a higher ground. Pageau was exceptional against the Rangers, Brassard was really solid, Stone and Hoffman had their moments even if they were not as good as they can be, Andy was solid enough and others played their role too; a true team effort.

Dorion won GM of the year but the credit goes to Bryan Murray. RIP

Thank you Melnyk for having Dorion ruining this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad