What if Forsberg played in the 80s

Arcader

Nov 1, 2009
Gretzky one year from retirement as an injured and battered nearly 40 year old player in the middle of the clutch and grab era basically tied Forsberg and Bure in points when they were in their primes in 1998.

Gretzky @ 38 years old playing in the most restrictive era of NHL hockey ever, had 1 less point in total points than Forsberg (and Bure) when Forsberg was as a 25 year old.

If Forsberg played in the 80s, he wouldn't be close to getting Gretzky's points in the 80s.

How many more games did Gretzky play?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
How many more games did Gretzky play?

He played 10 more games that year.

Gretzky also outscored him the year before by 11 points in 17 more games.

So Forsberg was actually outpacing him a bit but the point is he wasn't outproducing a mid-late 30s Gretzky.

Last edited:

Snauen*

..and just which couple of seasons in the 80's would he of dominated exactly?

Also...which team would he have won "a few Cups" on, you have 2 choices, Isles or Oilers as they won 9 of 11 Cups with an 80 in the year.
He would have lead the Nordiques or Philly (his draft team) to a couple of cups. He would have lead the team by example in physical play and playmaking + scoring a bunch of clutch goals. He would have helped his team beating the Oilers and Gretzky in the finals , by scoring important goals and making important assists, running Wayne Gretz a couple of times, getting M.McSorley upset, making him take stupid penalties, that would eventually cost them some shorthandedgoaals. That's what would have happened if Forsberg played in the 80's!

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He would have lead the Nordiques or Philly (his draft team) to a couple of cups. He would have lead the team by example in physical play and playmaking + scoring a bunch of clutch goals. He would have helped his team beating the Oilers and Gretzky in the finals , by scoring important goals and making important assists, running Wayne Gretz a couple of times, getting M.McSorley upset, making him take stupid penalties, that would eventually cost them some shorthandedgoaals. That's what would have happened if Forsberg played in the 80's!

Working under the assumption that you are kidding -- :laugh:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

Uh huh

Snauen*

Hehe, always nice to read thru a thread and see that your own posts are the ones that are the most interesting, thoughtfull and insightfull

Most of the other posts in this thread are about point statistics. And hypotetical point statistics.. I seem to be amongst the few to understand that there is more to the game of hockey than goals and assists (points) only.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Hehe, always nice to read thru a thread and see that your own posts are the ones that are the most interesting, thoughtfull and insightfull

Most of the other posts in this thread are about point statistics. And hypotetical point statistics.. I seem to be amongst the few to understand that there is more to the game of hockey than goals and assists (points) only.

Do you work for Fox news or something?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

...and the colour of the sky in your world is what exactly?:sarcasm:

I mean, I have no doubt your skys' colour would be more interesting, thoughtful and insightful, I'm just really curious what colour that would be.

Maybe even a poem about your sky would be appropriate at this time.

Snauen*

Jeez.. Are you two individuals or one dude whit whit two accounts? Rhiessan71 and BraveCanadian. Your responses are like synchronized

Infinite Vision*

Gretzky one year from retirement as an injured and battered nearly 40 year old player in the middle of the clutch and grab era basically tied Forsberg and Bure in points when they were in their primes in 1998.

Gretzky @ 38 years old playing in the most restrictive era of NHL hockey ever, had 1 less point in total points than Forsberg (and Bure) when Forsberg was as a 25 year old.

If Forsberg played in the 80s, he wouldn't be close to getting Gretzky's points in the 80s.

Gretzky was 36/37 that year, perfectly healthy the whole season, and was -11. Forsberg had 1 more point in ten less games. Nice try though.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Gretzky was 36/37 that year, perfectly healthy the whole season, and was -11. Forsberg had 1 more point in ten less games. Nice try though.

Totally missing the point.

Except for the Gretzky at 36/37 that year anyways..

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia

His point still holds up well though. If a prime Forsberg playing on a stacked Avs team couldn't separate himself himself any more than that from an old Gretzky on a bad Rangers team, it only stands to reason that a prime Gretzky on a good team would blow him out completely.

And Gretzky was never "perfectly healthy" in his Ranger years. Just because he played all 82 games doesn't mean he didn't suffer from chronic back pain. That didn't go away, he just played through it every night.

Infinite Vision*

His point still holds up well though. If a prime Forsberg playing on a stacked Avs team couldn't separate himself himself any more than that from an old Gretzky on a bad Rangers team, it only stands to reason that a prime Gretzky on a good team would blow him out completely.

And Gretzky was never "perfectly healthy" in his Ranger years. Just because he played all 82 games doesn't mean he didn't suffer from chronic back pain. That didn't go away, he just played through it every night.

The guy I quoted was making it sound like Forsberg wasn't any better than Gretzky in 98. That couldn't be much farther from the truth. It really wasn't remotely close by then. Gretzky was -25 the year he lead in points in 94. A lot of his scoring came at the expense of getting scored on. He had literally almost no defensive game at all for a greater part of the 90's.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The guy I quoted was making it sound like Forsberg wasn't any better than Gretzky in 98. That couldn't be much farther from the truth. It really wasn't remotely close by then. Gretzky was -25 the year he lead in points in 94. A lot of his scoring came at the expense of getting scored on. He had literally almost no defensive game at all for a greater part of the 90's.

Neither did Gretzky's teams.

Try and compare the teams Gretzky was on from 94-99 with the one Forsberg was on.. I dare you.

The point still stands.

Infinite Vision*

Neither did Gretzky's teams.

Try and compare the teams Gretzky was on from 94-99 with the one Forsberg was on.. I dare you.

The point still stands.

Well my point still stands that in 98 Gretzky wasn't remotely close to as good as Forsberg. Also I dare you to find me another player who lead the league in points, and was a minus player. No one who scored as much as he did (from 93 on), regardless of what team they were on, was a minus player period, let alone -25.

Last edited by a moderator:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Well my point still stands that in 98 Gretzky wasn't remotely close to as good as Forsberg.

The thing is.. he was and that is our point.

Forsberg 72GP 25G 66A 91PTS +6
Gretzky 82GP 23G 67A 90PTS -11.

Now we all admitted that Forsberg was outpacing him so lets adjust Forsberg up..

Forsberg 82GP 28G 75A 103PTS +7
Gretzky 82GP 23G 67A 90PTS -11

Now how is that not remotely close? Especially taking into consideration the 98 Avs vs. the 98 Rangers??

98 Rangers 25W-39L-18T 197GF 231GA
98 Avalanche 39W-26L-17T 231GF 205GA

I'm not sure what the rest of your post has to do with anything. The fact Wayne led the league in scoring on a team that didn't make the playoffs makes him bad or something?

That Kings team was 27-45-12 and gave up over 300 goals.

Infinite Vision*

The thing is.. he was and that is our point.

Forsberg 72GP 25G 66A 91PTS +6
Gretzky 82GP 23G 67A 90PTS -11.

Now we all admitted that Forsberg was outpacing him so lets adjust Forsberg up..

Forsberg 82GP 28G 75A 103PTS +7
Gretzky 82GP 23G 67A 90PTS -11

Now how is that not remotely close? Especially taking into consideration the 98 Avs vs. the 98 Rangers??

98 Rangers 25W-39L-18T 197GF 231GA
98 Avalanche 39W-26L-17T 231GF 205GA

I'm not sure what the rest of your post has to do with anything. The fact Wayne led the league in scoring on a team that didn't make the playoffs makes him bad or something?

That Kings team was 27-45-12 and gave up over 300 goals.

Your using points only. Forsberg was a dominant power play player on top of being miles better defensively than Gretzky, and an overall better point producer. That's my point there's more to hockey, than strictly offense...

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Your using points only. Forsberg was a dominant power play player on top of being miles better defensively than Gretzky, and an overall better point producer. That's my point there's more to hockey, than strictly offense...

Wait a second.. Forsberg is an overall better point producer than Wayne Gretzky?

WAYNE GRETZKY??

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

To be fair, the main jist of this thread is how many POINTS Forsberg would of got in the 80's.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Well my point still stands that in 98 Gretzky wasn't remotely close to as good as Forsberg. Also I dare you to find me another player who lead the league in points, and was a minus player. No one who scored as much as he did (from 93 on), regardless of what team they were on, was a minus player period, let alone -25.

Well, the guy in your avatar was a -25 in just 67 games in a year was right there with Forsberg for the PPG lead. If he played more games, he could have conceivably won the Art Ross with a -35.

What does that say? Not a whole lot. He logged a ton of ice-time on an awful team, that's pretty much it. A couple of years earlier, he was on a stacked team and put up +15 in just 43 games.

-11 on that awful Rangers team wasn't even that bad. Lafontaine was -16 in just 67 games, Kovalev was -23, Leetch was an abominable -36.

Gretzky went from a +12 to a -11 in one year. What happened, did his play slip? Not at all. +/- is team stat as much as anything.

Forsberg was always on a stacked team with Patrick Roy. Of course his plus-minus was going to be great. Post-prime Gretzky had... Kelly Hrudey, Byron Dafoe, Dan Cloutier. Or a dizzy Mike Richter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad