What if Finland would still be part of Sweden or Russia?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Dont piss on JAS gripen :D It doesnt crasch...that often! It's easy assembled as well with an IKEA key.

I know this at least, with JAS Gripen your air fleet will be a lot mightier than your naval fleet!

I respect the Gripen ! but seriously ... it is a cheaper plane than the Rafale and is delivered with a whole infrastructure around it, which is what made the difference.

So it was the Gripen, the Rafale and the Eurofighter typhoon. (not F22 ! pity )

here you have an article talking about the comparison between the 3 planes ... in french.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I respect the Gripen ! but seriously ... it is a cheaper plane than the Rafale and is delivered with a whole infrastructure around it, which is what made the difference.

So it was the Gripen, the Rafale and the Eurofighter typhoon. (not F22 ! pity )

here you have an article talking about the comparison between the 3 planes ... in french.

Yes yes Im just kidding. I'm sure the new Gripen will be good value for the money, or at least thats the plan.

The Gripen that Switzerand and Sweden is supposed to buy, isnt the one that is already developed, but a new upgraded version. As you kind of was saying the fighterplane wont be just a Swedish it will be a joint venture between the Swiss and Swedish state.

It should be quite enough for both our defences, both Sweden and Switzerland are small countires and cant affort do spend endless amounts of money on the military. Both Swiss and Swedish engineers and other developers/builders/admin/mechs/pilots will be engaged in development and maintenance of the new Gripen, which will hopefully benfit technology development in both countries.

Last edited:

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
Maybe Finland would then qualify for euros. Learning Swedish would be almost worth it! ( but i do already :cry: )

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Maybe Finland would then qualify for euros. Learning Swedish would be almost worth it! ( but i do already :cry: )

I know, studying Swedish in schools would actually be for a valid reason, and i might even would have needed to use it somewhere then. :D

And Swedish schools would probably need to study Finnish too.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I know, studying Swedish in schools would actually be for a valid reason, and i might even would have needed to use it somewhere then. :D

And Swedish schools would probably need to study Finnish too.

Bah, google translate would do...ei saa peittää!

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Ah, I can already imagine the Finnish-speaking media questioning every single "a Swedish player over a Finnish player" selection and whining about Finnish players not getting enough ice time.

Yeah, as if Swedish media wouldn't do the same.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Well for Sweden's part it would've boosted the goalie side immensely.

Not so sure about the skaters. You have some obvious ones in Kurri, Selänne, Kapanen, Lethinen and the Koivu brothers, but overall the Olympic team skaters would still mostly be Swedish.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
As most people have pointed out the majority of players in the team would have mostly Swedish players, here's what Sweden-Finland's current Olympic squad could look like:

Offence:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - L. Eriksson
H. Zetterberg - V. Filppula - J. Franzen (Red Wings Chemistry ;D).
N. Backstrom - M. Koivu - T. Selanne
P. Hornqvist - T. Ruutu - D. Alfredson

There really wouldn't be "1st" "2nd", "3rd" or "4th" line when talking about offence, well yeah the 1st line is best at scoring but i wouldn't say that the 4th liners would just dump the puck all the time. :D

But i'd say that this would be a beast on special play's, i dunno that much about Eriksson but on PP i would put Selanne on the first line, and maybe keep the "Detroit line" just like that to be 2nd PP team, penalty kill wouldn't be a problem either.
Defence:

E. Karlsson - N. Kronwall
J. Pitkanen - K. Timonen
M. Ohlund - S. Salo (I think they used to played together in Canucks too?)

Goalies:

1. H. Lundqvist/ P. Rinne
2. H. Lundqvist/ P. Rinne
3. Tuukka Rask/ Petri Vehanen/ M. Kiprusoff... (Doesn't really matter imo, when you got 2 of the best goalies in the world, the only problem is, which one is the starter, Lunqvist or Rinne?)

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
So let's try if the olympics would be next year:

1st line:

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - L.Eriksson

2nd line:

H.Zetterberg - N.Backstrom - V.Filppula

3rd line:

G.Landeskog - M.Koivu - T.Ruutu

4th line:

A.Steen - O.Jokinen - P.Hornqvist

13th forward: Alfredsson/Selanne

You could put Franzen there somewhere but I personally don't like him much. Imo he's performance level has dropped.

I tried to put players to their "right" places and tried to get some chemistry.

Defence:

E.Karlsson - N.Kronwall

A.Edler - T.Enstrom

OEL - K.Timonen

7th: J.Pitkanen

Goalies:

Lundqvist/Rinne
Rinne/Lunqdvist
Lehtonen

Special teams:

1st pp:

Sedin - Sedin - Hornqvist (mask)

Karlsson - Edler

2nd pp:

Zetterberg - Backstrom - Eriksson

Enstrom - Kronwall

1st sh:

Steen - Koivu

Timonen - OEL

2nd sh:

Landeskog - Filppula

Kronwall - Edler

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
hmmm, interesting topic.

i have another one - What if Germany had won World War II? Lets make a team.

Haha, well first line would look something like this:

Ovechkin - Crosby - Stamkos...

Well there is really no point in speculating on how good Nazi Germany would be today especially if it would have conquered the rest of Europe or even the rest of the world...

Well, maybe you could argue which would have better hockey team today, Soviet Union or Nazi Germany? But that is not what the thread is about, it's about Sweden-Finland and Finland-Russia.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
If Germany would've won the second world war, there'd still be France, GB, etc. They'd just have Germany appointed fascist leaders. And I highly doubt the nazis would've ever succeed in conquering the American continent.

Also, Finland would be atleast twice as big as it is now. Hitler and some opportunists Finnish army types plan was to to annex Kola peninsula and the whole of Karelia to the so-called Greater Finland after Soviets were beaten (this is Finnish neo-nazie's wet daydream even today).

On topic: It'd be pretty much Team Sweden with much more depth. And a very good domestic league!

Hell, we could make the league thing happen right now. :naughty:

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
This is stupid. There aren't many competitive national teams for hockey anyway - there are basically six players, seven if we are being generous to Slovakia and eight if we are being EXTREMELY generous to the Swiss. With people talking about Czechoslovakia, USSR and now a Finland/Sweden superteam, what do we want international hockey to be? A 4 team tournament year after year for the rest of time?

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
This is stupid. There aren't many competitive national teams for hockey anyway - there are basically six players, seven if we are being generous to Slovakia and eight if we are being EXTREMELY generous to the Swiss. With people talking about Czechoslovakia, USSR and now a Finland/Sweden superteam, what do we want international hockey to be? A 4 team tournament year after year for the rest of time?

I don't think anyone wants to see these scenarios to happen! :laugh:

It's just alternative history and speculation. For fun, you ever had that? ;)

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Scandinavian Globetrotters:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Zetterberg - Koivu S - Selänne
Steen - Bäckström - Alfredsson
Granlund - Koivu M - Landeskog
Berglund - Kontiola

Timonen - Karlsson
Kronwall - Enström
Salo - Hedman
Ekman-Larsson - Edler

Lundqvist
Rinne
Rask/Enroth

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

Maybe a combined US/Canadian team? At least in the WC because of the big ice. And a Swiss/German/Italian/Austrian team? Francophone team? Yugoslavia!! Norway and Denmark will be part of the swe...Finnish/Swedish team.

OR, split the US and Canadian team into the states that constitute the countries.

A Norrbotten (google! think midnight sun) team would beat Switzerland because of stubbornness alone.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Dont wanna start a new thread so I'm gonna post it here

Team Czechoslovakia

Gaborik - Krejci - Hossa
Elias - Plekanec - Voracek
Erat - Hanzal - Havlat
Fleischmann - Hudler - Vrbata

Michalek - Chara
Zidlicky - Smid
Visnovsky - Sekera

Halak/Vokoun
Vokoun/Halak
Pavelec

Why did they have to split up? :(

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
If Sweden was still owned Finland, Sweden would have some proper superstars in its history.. not one Swede has ever scored even 60 goals in a NHL season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad