Speculation: What has been Yzerman's worst contract signed?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Carle or Callahan, but I lean toward Callahan. Carle had a year or two where he was arguably worth the money.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Callahan had what, one good season with us. when literally everything was going right and everyone was having breakout seasons.

With him injured so often now, do to the style he plays, 5.5 for a 3rd-4th liner who barely plays anymore is rough and is going to cost us a player or two

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
Callahan had what, one good season with us. when literally everything was going right and everyone was having breakout seasons.

With him injured so often now, do to the style he plays, 5.5 for a 3rd-4th liner who barely plays anymore is rough and is going to cost us a player or two
5.8 :cry:

We really have to hope he ends up the Ohlund route, to save us a buyout.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Jon Cooper :sarcasm:

The ones mentioned above aside: Anybody remember Dan Ellis? Anders Lindback?

Bad players but their contracts weren't crippling.

And Condra wasn't a bad contract. We liked the deal when it was first signed - he just didn't fit with the team.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Bad players but their contracts weren't crippling.

And Condra wasn't a bad contract. We liked the deal when it was first signed - he just didn't fit with the team.

Isn't that the definition of a bad contract ? " we liked the deal when it was first signed "

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Isn't that the definition of a bad contract ? " we liked the deal when it was first signed "

No? Why would that be the definition? That makes no sense.

Condra didn't fit with us. His contract is not large and it doesn't put us in much of a bind. ****, we can bury him in the minors and only have to carry like 200k of his cap hit.

Meanwhile, we can't bury Callahan in the minors because of his NMC, and even then we'd still have 4.9m in dead space on the books. And its a lot longer. And Callahan probably brings about as much on the ice as Condra. The two are completely not comparable.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
No? Why would that be the definition? That makes no sense.

Condra didn't fit with us. His contract is not large and it doesn't put us in much of a bind. ****, we can bury him in the minors and only have to carry like 200k of his cap hit.

Mseanwhile, we can't bury Callahan in the minors because of his NMC, and even then we'd still have 4.9m in dead space on the books. And its a lot longer. And Callahan probably brings about as much on the ice as Condra. The two are completely not comparable.

Let me explain.... contracts make sense when you sign them, but when you have to say " they made sense at the time " you know you have a dud. I am hardly comparing Callahan and Condra contracts. Callahan is a huge mistake with big ramifications, I was just stating that Condra was also a poor contract.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Let me explain.... contracts make sense when you sign them, but when you have to say " they made sense at the time " you know you have a dud. I am hardly comparing Callahan and Condra contracts. Callahan is a huge mistake with big ramifications, I was just stating that Condra was also a poor contract.

But that's not true. Plenty of contracts look bad before the ink is dry. No one was saying "Hmm... that Andrew Ladd contract is going to really pay off."

[MOD]

Condra's contract was small and fit what we perceived to be a need - namely a fourth liner with some speed and a solid checker. It made sense - he just didn't fit in. Other contracts did not make much sense at the time (5.8 for 6 years for a vet on the wrong side of 30 with an injury history could potentially fit into that mold).

Last edited by a moderator:

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
But that's not true. Plenty of contracts look bad before the ink is dry. No one was saying "Hmm... that Andrew Ladd contract is going to really pay off."

[MOD]

Splitting hairs with the definition you win :) But if you don't think Condra contract is a big deal let's say we get rid of it. You could now have a complete 4th line of Dumont Bournival and Conacher for less money than we are paying Condra. Lose Brown and Paquette contracts use the aforementioned forth line and you have saved 2 million dollars in cap space. Callahan contract is a huge problem but throwing around money on journeyman because they are "coopers boys" can be very damaging as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Jon Cooper :sarcasm:

The ones mentioned above aside: Anybody remember Dan Ellis? Anders Lindback?

Ya but they got what two year term deals ? I think the Carle deal and Callahan deals were far worse! We got two good years from Carle and one good year from Callahan! Signing Callahan was a huge risk and mistake. Without the Callahan contract we could have signed kucherov for longer term.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm going with Carle because when Callahan does play he's still an NHL player(just an overpaid one). Carle was not. Until Callahan reaches that level of pylon he's still better than Carle.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Callahan. Carle was the worse player, by far, but by the time he got that bad the contract was no longer crippling. It was a relatively cheap buyout.

Callahan started a steep decline in his second season, and now plays like a minimum salary player when he's healthy. He still brings good things to the table, unlike Carle, but the term is killing us.

All GMs have bad contracts though. This is ours. Callahan played well after the trade, and Yzerman was probably trying to maximize the value we got in the trade. ...But now Callahan has become a negative value player.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The Condra contract is like going a few mph over the speed limit when you realize there's a cop driving by. The Callahan contract is like driving down the wrong side of a four lane when you realize there's a cop driving by.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm going with Carle because when Callahan does play he's still an NHL player(just an overpaid one). Carle was not. Until Callahan reaches that level of pylon he's still better than Carle.

Carle was very good his first two years before his declined. Callahan had one before he declined. We also had space and a need for Carle, Callahan was a luxury that turned out much worse than thought.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Splitting hairs with the definition you win :) But if you don't think Condra contract is a big deal let's say we get rid of it. You could now have a complete 4th line of Dumont Bournival and Conacher for less money than we are paying Condra. Lose Brown and Paquette contracts use the aforementioned forth line and you have saved 2 million dollars in cap space. Callahan contract is a huge problem but throwing around money on journeyman because they are "coopers boys" can be very damaging as well.

huh?

Bournival (.575) - Dumont (.575) - Conacher (.575) > Condra (1.25m)?

You're arguing saving 500k per 4th liner is "very damaging"? vs a 5.8m 4th liner?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I daresay the Condra contract hasn't been the difference in us signing or not signing a single player; the Callahan contract is the exact reason we might lose a good player.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Holy crap guys I simply included the condra contract as being bad. I NEVER said it was bad as The Callahan contract. Let me retract "the condra contract is fine and dandy". There all better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad