Speculation: What happens when Lazar breaks through?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
People should temper their expectations.

Look what happened with Pageau this year. People were calling into the Team1200, saying that whatever line Pageau is on, would be the top line.

Lazar will be the type of player that COULD jump into the NHL on a 3rd or 4th line and be effective, but I think it's in his and the team's best interest to develop him properly.

IMO Philly really screwed up Couturier's development by having him start in the NHL as a 3rd/4th line player.

I expect Lazar to get 8 games in the N next year, and go back to junior. Then finish the year with Bingo.

Perfectly reasonable post and solid expectations that fall in line what we do and what we have experienced as an organization. It also matches what other organizations experience with young and inexperienced players.

However, it is seriously lacking in hyperbole and irrationality, and ignores the fact that if we want something bad enough, that thing will happen and everything will work out for the best.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
What I love about this kid, is that he can really be slotted in wherever we need him, and I'm sure he'd work his ass off to do the best job he can (whether its top line or bottom line or W or C)! With the strength at C we already have, I'd expect him to play W. Which is really great, and he played W quite well in the WJC.

thefatjesus*

my guess: Lazar makes the team next year and plays on the RW of Z-bad Conacher-Zib-Lazar

If he doesn't make the team after his 9 games, id be surprised. Although I believe it is good to build your way up to the NHL and it has worked with our prospects so far .. some players need to be treated like stars, Landeskog didn't play a day in the AHL.. thats got to build up some confidence. Kids to good for the A, let him believe it.

Lazar is probably going to come in at 195-200lbs by next training camp, his physical maturity will play into his ability to compete at the NHL level.

thefatjesus*

the sooner he is playing the better.. im buying his jersey next lol

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see how Philly messed up Couturier's development, he had a great rookie yr. He may not be doing as well this yr but the entire Philly team is not doing well this yr & that may have more to do with it.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I don't see how Philly messed up Couturier's development, he had a great rookie yr. He may not be doing as well this yr but the entire Philly team is not doing well this yr & that may have more to do with it.

Philly has been awesome, beginning of the year wasnt good but now theyre one of the toughest to play against.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah he'll probably be a winger. A 1st line of him, Stone and Spezza in 3 season's time would be all kinds of good.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He could make the team next year, but Ottawa has a lot of depth at center, and particularly good depth at wing. Ottawa is in a situation where they need another type of big upgrade Bobby Ryan style acquisition at wing, as all the other slots are mostly being fought over or filled.

The only reason to put him on the team next year is if we're still playing juggle the line mates with Spezza, and Lazar happens to be an amazing fit. Otherwise, injuries aside, I don't see the problem with him finishing up junior, and then rounding out in the AHL for a while. No need to rush Lazar.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

1st year- 27 pts
2nd year- 15 pts (shortened season)
3rd year- 18 pts 1/2 through the season

No significant progression in 3 seasons.

The kid put up almost 100 pts in back to back seasons in the Q.

Compare Couturier's stats to Zibanejad's or Schiefle's over the next 2 years, and I guarantee, both will show more progression than SC.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Is this something that merits special concern?

He will make the NHL if he is capable. Hopefully that leads to a Stanley Cup for Ottawa.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
During the game against Finland the commentators said that Lazar had been the best player in Canada during the JWC.

If that's true, it's amazing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't get the negativity towards Couturier. He's not being used in an offensive role the way that Zibanejad and Scheifele are. It's not really fair to compare in that sense. Couturier can make an argument for having been the best defensive forward in the league over the last 3 years. His offensive contribution isn't top notch, but he's also not being put in a position to produce offensively.

Just as an example Zibanejad starts in the offensive zone 54.9% of the time, Scheifele 55.2% and Couturier is 43.7%. Now again these stats don't even fully illustrate his usage defensively (Couturier is constantly out there against the top offensive players of the other team) but his linemates are also Matt Read and Steve Downie. Zibanejad's most common linemates are Spezza, Michalek and now Conacher and Scheifele's are Kane and Frolik.

Anyway, different teams different situations very hard to compare their relative progressions so far without having watched all of their games like we do for Zibanejad.

During the game against Finland the commentators said that Lazar had been the best player in Canada during the JWC.

If that's true, it's amazing.

A lot of people (myself included) thought he was the best player for Canada. The coaches included -- or at least they believed that he was top three as he was given that 'award'.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A lot of people (myself included) thought he was the best player for Canada. The coaches included -- or at least they believed that he was top three as he was given that 'award'.

Bob McKenzie brought up the fact that Brent Sutter had singled out Lazar as Canada's best player a number of times.

Sutter has a certain yeomen's approach to hockey that would endear Lazar to him, but still, it's good to see.

The term "200 foot player" was used repeatedly to refer to Lazar's relentless play in all 3 zones.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I don't get the negativity towards Couturier. He's not being used in an offensive role the way that Zibanejad and Scheifele are. It's not really fair to compare in that sense. Couturier can make an argument for having been the best defensive forward in the league over the last 3 years. His offensive contribution isn't top notch, but he's also not being put in a position to produce offensively.

Just as an example Zibanejad starts in the offensive zone 54.9% of the time, Scheifele 55.2% and Couturier is 43.7%. Now again these stats don't even fully illustrate his usage defensively (Couturier is constantly out there against the top offensive players of the other team) but his linemates are also Matt Read and Steve Downie. Zibanejad's most common linemates are Spezza, Michalek and now Conacher and Scheifele's are Kane and Frolik.

Anyway, different teams different situations very hard to compare their relative progressions so far without having watched all of their games like we do for Zibanejad.

No post.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My favourite offensive zone start stat was from last year (year before?) where every regular player on the Sens was +50% in offensive zone starts because we were very good at getting the puck into the opposing zone.

They aren't great comparables across teams.

EDIT: Last season, Zack Smith was a 49.4% and Jim O'Brien (in 29 games) was 47.1%. Not counting Dziuzynski and Lundin (small sample size), all other 26 players were +50% in offensive zone starts.

Last edited:

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
SN just talked about some comments Murray had on Lazar:

BM would have wanted him to play THIS season, but he felt it was too important for his development to play another year in junior.

Compared him to a 6 ft Brendan Gallagher.

----

Really like the Gallagher comparison. A six foot Brendan Gallagher would be a beast, he's already very good at his size.

Gotta think he makes the team next year. Hopefully we can unload Greening and Lazar can take his spot and then work his way up the lineup.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Start off by taking condras spot

Also he looks more like 5'11" but I could be wrong

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
If takes Greening or Condra's spot because of performance, that would be sweet. Those two are being pushed out quickly, not that is unexpected, we knew 3 years ago that these two are kind of fringe players or transitional players and they would be replaced with better options sooner or later.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Greening is untradable and Murray won't want to look bad by waiving him considering the contract they signed. Lazar most likely takes Condra's spot imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad