Speculation: What happens to Robin Lehner after this season

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Buffalo qualifies him for one more year and accepts the fact that he's overpaid. In the meantime they give ullmark more starts and see what happens.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Buffalo qualifies him for one more year and accepts the fact that he's overpaid. In the meantime they give ullmark more starts and see what happens.
Buffalo knows what he is. I see no reason why they wouldn't move on from him. Keeping him sends the wrong message to the team and the fans. They have two options non tendering him or letting him request arbitration, which they'll then walk away from. They've tried to trade him but no one will do so because they know eventually Buffalo will non tender or walk away from him. Why give an asset for something you can have for free at less than his current salary.

Nobody wants him at 4 million plus and to tender him he gets I believe a maximum reduction of 15% at which point I'm certain he'll request arbitration. Teams aren't stupid. Botterill knows they need to improve after giving Eichel that contract and trading Kane. Keeping Lehner is a fools game

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Buffalo knows what he is. I see no reason why they wouldn't move on from him. Keeping him sends the wrong message to the team and the fans. They have two options non tendering him or letting him request arbitration, which they'll then walk away from. They've tried to trade him but no one will do so because they know eventually Buffalo will non tender or walk away from him. Why give an asset for something you can have for free at less than his current salary.

Nobody wants him at 4 million plus and to tender him he gets I believe a maximum reduction of 15% at which point I'm certain he'll request arbitration.

Really? No reason? That's just being silly. Here's a very simple reason. It would be terrible roster management to risk going in to a season with Linus Ullmark as the presumed starter.

It's certainly possible the Sabres decide to walk away. It's equally possible that they view 1 more season at 4 million as a safety net/bridge to future upgrade in goal (be that the development of Ullmark, or an acquisition goaltender).

They'd have to tender Lehner before free agency begins on July 1. I would expect that if Buffalo has a deal in place with a pending UFA or via trade for a new starter, then Lehner will not be qualified.

IF Buffalo does NOT have said replacement in place before the date by which RFA need to be tendered (June 27?), they will qualify Lehner. If they are able to acquire/sign a goaltender later in the offseason, they can look to flip Lehner for minimal return.

I am certainly looking forward to the 3rd rounder your Islanders are going to give us after we sign Carter Hutton :)

Reactions: Sabreality

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Really? No reason? That's just being silly. Here's a very simple reason. It would be terrible roster management to risk going in to a season with Linus Ullmark as the presumed starter.

It's certainly possible the Sabres decide to walk away. It's equally possible that they view 1 more season at 4 million as a safety net/bridge to future upgrade in goal (be that the development of Ullmark, or an acquisition goaltender).

They'd have to tender Lehner before free agency begins on July 1. I would expect that if Buffalo has a deal in place with a pending UFA or via trade for a new starter, then Lehner will not be qualified.

IF Buffalo does NOT have said replacement in place before the date by which RFA need to be tendered (June 27?), they will qualify Lehner. If they are able to acquire/sign a goaltender later in the offseason, they can look to flip Lehner for minimal return.

I am certainly looking forward to the 3rd rounder your Islanders are going to give us after we sign Carter Hutton :)
Not happening we traded our 3rd for Davidson and we are already overpaying Greiss, snow looked into a Greiss - Lehner deal but Botterill wasn't interested, so he's moved on, he was interested in Dell but he re-signed in SJ. Now rumors are he might just re-sign Halak for a year. And that was after Lehners trade request became public. So Botterill has little leverage. You won't have a chance at Hutton with Lehner on your roster. But you already know that.You're just wishful thinking. But we all know you think Lehner is trash. Despite your present stance of trying to get anything for him. Find another patsy, I see ain't interested... Well one isles fan is but he also wanted to trade Barzal for Duchene. And we saw that Snow wasn't that stupid.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not happening we traded our 3rd for Davidson and we are already overpaying Greiss, snow looked into a Greiss - Lehner deal but Botterill wasn't interested, so he's moved on, he was interested in Dell but he re-signed in SJ. Now rumors are he might just re-sign Halak for a year

a 2019 2nd will do

Not sure Garth Snow's opinion on the matter... will matter much longer.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Leafs have McBackup, Sparks and Pickard. They won’t be signing Lehner, and if anything will be looking to deal a goalie.

Islanders Detroit, and potentially Ottawa are the two most likely spots IMO

Unless Ottawa can miraculously unload Andy or Condon who are locked up for next season, I don't see it happening. Wouldn't be oppose though if one of the current guys is moved.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
blackhawks could take a look at about 2.25 for a year. Who knows whats going on with crawford.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
a 2019 2nd will do

Not sure Garth Snow's opinion on the matter... will matter much longer.
Keep hoping. You'll be disappointed.just like you were with those top 5 picks you predicted in the Vanek trade. Turned out you got Lehner and Moulson and Guhle out of it. Turned out rather brutal for you. Shows what you knew

And don't try denying you said that, I saved the posts. You went around for months crowing about it. We did no better, but we also weren't stuck with Molson and Lehner either for 5 years

And snow did outlast Tim Murray did he not?

We aren't a great team but we still have 4 Stanley Cups despite your team being around longer. You've hated the Islanders for that. Everyone knows it. But your act is old and rather pathetic

Last edited:

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
There was a report out of Buffalo, that elements in the Sabres brass think that Linus Ullmark (the heir apparent) isn't ready to shoulder the load of being a full time NHL goalie (He seems to be doing just fine as the man in Rochester).

So maybe Lehner signs his tender with Buffalo and he platoons with Ullmark next year.

I'm not really expecting Buffalo to be good next year anyway. However after the 18/19 season we'll have Moulson, Pominville and Lehner off the books and could easily buy out the last year of Bogosian's contract. We'll have a lot of money to play with.

Reactions: Sabreality

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
There was a report out of Buffalo, that elements in the Sabres brass think that Linus Ullmark (the heir apparent) isn't ready to shoulder the load of being a full time NHL goalie (He seems to be doing just fine as the man in Rochester).

So maybe Lehner signs his tender with Buffalo and he platoons with Ullmark next year.

I'm not really expecting Buffalo to be good next year anyway. However after the 18/19 season we'll have Moulson, Pominville and Lehner off the books and could easily buy out the last year of Bogosian's contract. We'll have a lot of money to play with.
You might Be right. But I have a lot of respect for botterill. I think he wants to get rid of the distractions before they contaminate Eichel.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Keep hoping. You'll be disappointed.just like you were with those top 5 picks you predicted in the Vanek trade. Turned out you got Lehner and Moulson and Guhle out of it. Turned out rather brutal for you. Shows what you knew

Actually, I said the Islanders would be better off giving the #5 overall pick in 2014, because there was a massive drop off after #4. I specifically said that Dal Colle would be a bust, and that the 2015 draft was absolutely loaded.

So... who'd it turn out brutal for?

The end result we got for flipping Vanek was:
1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 7th

(You see, we flipped Moulson for two 2nds and Mitchell...a comparable return to what you ended up getting for Vanek)

And don't try denying you said that, I saved the posts. You went around for months crowing about it. We did no better, but we also weren't stuck with Molson and Lehner either for 5 years

Yes, I went around saying the 2014 draft was garbage outside the top 3-4, and that the 2015 draft was going to be an all time great draft class. And with that, said the Islanders should give up #5 in 2014, to keep their 2015 pick. In hindsight, I was right.

Luckily you were able to trade rape Chiarelli and got a 1st for Griffin Reinhart... and land Matthew Barzal.

And snow did outlast Tim Murray did he not?

Is that... like an accomplishment?

Snow = 3 playoff seasons in 10 years of Tavares...

Do you think Snow is a good GM?

We aren't a great team but we still have 4 Stanley Cups despite your team being around longer. You've hated the Islanders for that. Everyone knows it. But your act is old and rather pathetic

I don't know why you think I hate the Islanders. I spent 4 years across the street from Nassau Colliseum, and my in-laws are hard core Isles fans.

In terms of teams I support/follow beyond the Sabres.... It's the Isles and the Lightning.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Actually, I said the Islanders would be better off giving the #5 overall pick in 2014, because there was a massive drop off after #4. I specifically said that Dal Colle would be a bust, and that the 2015 draft was absolutely loaded.

So... who'd it turn out brutal for?

The end result we got for flipping Vanek was:
1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 7th

(You see, we flipped Moulson for two 2nds and Mitchell...a comparable return to what you ended up getting for Vanek)

Yes, I went around saying the 2014 draft was garbage outside the top 3-4, and that the 2015 draft was going to be an all time great draft class. And with that, said the Islanders should give up #5 in 2014, to keep their 2015 pick. In hindsight, I was right.

Luckily you were able to trade rape Chiarelli and got a 1st for Griffin Reinhart... and land Matthew Barzal.

Is that... like an accomplishment?

Snow = 3 playoff seasons in 10 years of Tavares...

Do you think Snow is a good GM?

I don't know why you think I hate the Islanders. I spent 4 years across the street from Nassau Colliseum, and my in-laws are hard core Isles fans.

In terms of teams I support/follow beyond the Sabres.... It's the Isles and the Lightning.
It was brutal for the Sabres, we got rid of Molson who was declining and we got a 2nd back so all we really gave up was the 21st pick instead of the 5th so you were wrong. All you really got for Vanek was Lehner Moulson and Guhle. Who we picked was immaterial.The fifth pick is still better than 21st no matter how you get to spin it.

Buffalo have up their best player and got crap back and you know it. At least Dal Colle was the consensus choice.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It was brutal for the Sabres

The Sabres turned Thomas Vanek in to a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, and 7th. I don't know why you think that's brutal. It's fair to criticize what they did with those picks.... but what they got for Vanek in trade assets was phenomenal.

we got rid of Molson who was declining and we got a 2nd back so all we really gave up was the 21st pick instead of the 5th so you were wrong.

Yea... you turned Moulson and a 1st.... in to a 2nd. Congratulations :rolleyes:

The fifth pick is still better than 21st no matter how you get to spin it

Uh.... no... in hindslight, it's not. Here try this exercise:

Who is better, Michael Dal Colle (5th) or David Pastrnak (26th) ?

See?

My reasoning regarding the 2014/2015 drafts and the Isles conditional 1st to the Sabres.... was spot on. It's not spin... I was just right.... that time.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Even for the Sabres, signing Lehner for his minimum of 4 million would be a cap mistake. More consistent goalies can be had for cheaper, and they should. If Lehner didn't have arbitration then maybe the story changes, but he's never lived up to what he's been given.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
He could be a solid 1B on a team with another decent goalie who he could split games with

Bfreezy40

Dec 17, 2014
Buffalo
No no he/she is likely right chances are Buffalo does not tender him a qualifying offer because that would be to much money
If we tender him its a tender and trade so we don't just lose him for nothing. I mean we did give up a 1st for this guy lol even if its a later round pick i'd be happy!

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The Sabres turned Thomas Vanek in to a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, and 7th. I don't know why you think that's brutal. It's fair to criticize what they did with those picks.... but what they got for Vanek in trade assets was phenomenal.

Yea... you turned Moulson and a 1st.... in to a 2nd. Congratulations :rolleyes:

Uh.... no... in hindslight, it's not. Here try this exercise:

Who is better, Michael Dal Colle (5th) or David Pastrnak (26th) ?

See?

My reasoning regarding the 2014/2015 drafts and the Isles conditional 1st to the Sabres.... was spot on. It's not spin... I was just right.... that time.
once again the fact that dal colle was at the time the 5th highest ranked player and didnt pan out is totally imatterial, plenty of players dont pan out

the fifth overal pick is still worth more than a 21st overall so you were wrong .you wanted that pick, if you were so smart why did you take Reinhart at 2 and pass on Draisaitl ? or Pastrnak?the reason is of course that not all players pan out . you were wrong and you know it

Last edited by a moderator:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
If we tender him its a tender and trade so we don't just lose him for nothing. I mean we did give up a 1st for this guy lol even if its a later round pick i'd be happy!
you do realize if you tender him youre responsible for that contract if you cant trade him? if you dont want him at that price why would anyone else?, there are better goalies available making less.

considering your need for defense every dollar wasted counts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad