Speculation: What happens to Robin Lehner after this season

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can't see him in Buffalo, I just can't I think they need to move on and I think they will.

So where does he go?

Dallas? Kari is a UFA at seasons end, Dallas may be looking for a replacement, Lehner could be a fit there.

Carolina? Ward is a UFA I could see Lehner there to battle Darling for the #1 job, that wouldd be a mistake as Lehner is not a #1, I think Carolina needs to find"the guy." That's not Lehner or Darling.

Detroit? This is where I think he ends up splits time with Howard.

Toronto?, Yes, I know we have Mcbackup, and I know he has another year under his contract, however Sportsnet Chris Johnston reported a couple months back that this is likely his last year in Toronto, in which case the search for a backup is on, and no it's not Sparks we have seen that, we don't need to see it again.

1 other thing, to be clear this is a 4 million dollar Lehner, I don't think Buffalo qualifies him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs have McBackup, Sparks and Pickard. They won’t be signing Lehner, and if anything will be looking to deal a goalie.

Islanders Detroit, and potentially Ottawa are the two most likely spots IMO

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Who will give him a full time starter gig anymore at this point? Any team who really needs a no.1 goalie should not be looking at lehner

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You are my friend so I won't inform you we are not talking about a Chicken Biscuit here but about the hockey trade proposed in the tittle and present posts on the matter at hand being discussed.

No no he/she is likely right chances are Buffalo does not tender him a qualifying offer because that would be to much money

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I don't see Lehner to Detroit as a realistic possibility. They just got rid of Mrazek because they didn't want to spend 4M+ on him again next year. Not because he isn't worth that price but because they don't want to tie up 9-10M+ on goalies. Wings have a bunch of RFA's to resign this summer which will likely use up most, if not all, their cap space. Although it's possible they'll make more moves over the summer to clear space. They'll probably be in the market for a cheap backup, someone like Scott Wedgewood or something.

On the flip side I don't see why Lehner would want to sign with another rebuilding team atp in his career. He should have better options if he wants to compete for anything in the near future.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs have McBackup, Sparks and Pickard. They won’t be signing Lehner, and if anything will be looking to deal a goalie.

Islanders Detroit, and potentially Ottawa are the two most likely spots IMO

But Mcbackup is likely not coming back or he ends up a Marlie, look he is 35 in May the day is coming where he needs to replaced, and don't bring up Sparks he was drafted in 2011 it's been nearly 7 years he's not making it.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
As a buffalo fan...who cares. Non tendered...9 months of jokes about how murray traded a 1st for him. Suddenly hf boards that aren' sabres fans will forget the name of the GM that made the trade initially and will either Google it to save face or get it wrong and look dumb as they ridicule the sabres...

Sorry I went off tangent based on how hf works...but seriously he takes the same money for one more year or he is nontendered. No love lost here. He never even got in a fight i.e his coolest quality...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
A team will either give up a very late pick, or a conditional late pick for his rights from BUF around the draft.

The team that acquires Lehner will try to negotiate a 2 year deal in the 2.5M-3M range. It'll be a two year deal and not a 3+ because that way, if Lehner has a strong year 1 with the team, Lehner can then negotiate a long term extension in July of 2019. with 1 year remaining on the contract.

I think if a team was comfortable with Lehner at his current qualifying offer, he would have been dealt by now.

The Islanders and Flyers are the only two teams who stand out to me as being not only needy with a goalie, but probably able to sign Lehner to that kind of contract. Halak is off the books in NYI, so they'd have Greiss and Lehner at about 6M combined and a Lehner two year deal means that if he pans out and requires a big 5M+ starting goalie extension, Greiss will be off the books before it kicks in. Mrazek doesn't seem to be working with PHI, so if they do not qualify him, they could ditch one of Elliott or Neuvirth and replace them with Lehner.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
I don't see Lehner to Detroit as a realistic possibility. They just got rid of Mrazek because they didn't want to spend 4M+ on him again next year. Not because he isn't worth that price but because they don't want to tie up 9-10M+ on goalies. Wings have a bunch of RFA's to resign this summer which will likely use up most, if not all, their cap space. Although it's possible they'll make more moves over the summer to clear space. They'll probably be in the market for a cheap backup, someone like Scott Wedgewood or something.

On the flip side I don't see why Lehner would want to sign with another rebuilding team atp in his career. He should have better options if he wants to compete for anything in the near future.

In this case, shouldn't Detroit get rid of Howard and start shopping for their "goaltender of the future".

If Howard decides to leave in 2019, they won't have anyone ready ot take the reins.

DRW's depth chart in nets :
18/19
6.gif
Jimmy Howard
17/18
3.gif
Jared Coreau
17/18
6.gif
Tom McCollum
17/18
8.gif
Matej Machovsky
19/20
3.gif
Kaden Fulcher
Unsigned
10.gif
Joren van Pottelberghe
Unsigned
1.gif
Filip Larsson
Unsigned
6.gif
Keith Petruzzelli
Unsigned
6.gif
Chase Perry

Last edited:

donut

Sep 5, 2012
I would imagine he might be offered a back-up role or 1B role somewhere. Doubt Buffalo keep him and honestly it's time to part ways.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I think we're talking about the wrong goalie. IMO this thread should be for Johnson. He's the one I don't see being re-signed.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
In this case, shouldn't Detroit get rid of Howard and start shopping for their "goaltender of the future".

If Howard decides to leave in 2019, they won't have anyone ready ot take the reins.

DRW's depth chart in nets :
18/19
6.gif
Jimmy Howard
17/18
3.gif
Jared Coreau
17/18
6.gif
Tom McCollum
17/18
8.gif
Matej Machovsky
19/20
3.gif
Kaden Fulcher
Unsigned
10.gif
Joren van Pottelberghe
Unsigned
1.gif
Filip Larsson
Unsigned
6.gif
Keith Petruzzelli
Unsigned
6.gif
Chase Perry

They can easily trade for a goalie at the draft there are always goalies available to fill the gap until one of their young ones like Larsson is ready.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
im the first one who said hed be non tendered and i still feel that way, why would anyone trade for him knowing that? nobody wants to be responsible for any arbitration either

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Someone who has a young goalie but isn't sold on them taking a full load will take a chance of him being a 1b/2a for a year or two. Similar to the deals Elliot and Mason got.

He'd be an interesting gamble for Detroit with Howard not getting any younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad