Speculation: What happens to Robin Lehner after this season

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
You are wrong. You have absolutely no evidence to back up your claims other than your own words. Which I know for a fact are lies.

No One In Their right minds would trade a top 5 pick for Pick 21 In the Next draft. If as you claim, You knew these things why did Buffalo select sam reinhart At #2 Instead of Leon Draisaitl? The answer of course is obvious. You are lying and you are wrong.

If You knew as much as you think you do, Why havent you won the megamillions drawing? Everyone thats An Islander Fan, knows exactly what you said and did. You said you'd get a top 5 pick, you even came on our board to repeatedly wish injuries on islander players. which any islander fan who was here at the time can verify.

You didnt get that top 5 Pick you bragged you were getting. In fact You got #21 who you traded for the "GREAT" Robin Lehner... So Yes you most definitely were wrong. And In my opinion, You got Exactly what you deserved. Wishing Injury on Players is despicable, and you did it several times.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You are wrong. You have absolutely no evidence to back up your claims other than your own words. Which I know for a fact are lies.

You said you saved the posts.... bring it on. Or... were you lying?

No One In Their right minds would trade a top 5 pick for Pick 21 In the Next draft. If as you claim, You knew these things why did Buffalo select sam reinhart At #2 Instead of Leon Draisaitl? The answer of course is obvious. You are lying and you are wrong.

It was #5 or an UNKNOWN 2015 pick. Remember, there was a chance that that pick could have been Connor McDavid....

My argument was that #5 in 2014 would be far less valuable than an unknown pick in the stacked 2015 draft.

I was right. MDC is far less valuable than the players that were available to you in 2015.

If You knew as much as you think you do, Why havent you won the megamillions drawing? Everyone thats An Islander Fan, knows exactly what you said and did. You said you'd get a top 5 pick, you even came on our board to repeatedly wish injuries on islander players. which any islander fan who was here at the time can verify.

You didnt get that top 5 Pick you bragged you were getting. In fact You got #21 who you traded for the "GREAT" Robin Lehner... So Yes you most definitely were wrong. And In my opinion, You got Exactly what you deserved. Wishing Injury on Players is despicable, and you did it several times.

Not sure what hockey has to do with mega millions lottery...

I never bragged that we WERE getting the #5 pick. I made the argument that the Isles SHOULD have given it to us, because the 2015 pick would be of better value. Again... I was right.

2014 #5 = Dal Colle
2015 pick ended up = Boeser, Samsonov, Konecny, Roslovic, Larsson, White
2015 pick could have been = McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, Meier, Barzal, Connor, Debrusk (This illustrates the power of the 2015 draft, and the massive risk you took if that pick had landed in the lottery, or even just been top 20).

Most Sabre s fans can verify you have never thought much of Robin. But few know the reason.

Ooooo mysterious....

Lehner has zero to do with the evaluation of how to handle the Isles conditional pick. Which came down to an evaluation of the players likely to be taken at #5 in the 2014 draft (ie MDC and Virtanen) vs the stacked 2015 draft and where the Isles were likely to finish (I predicted lower than they did, but the argument remained the same).

But it's simple, he's been a constant reminder of how very wrong you were. You can deny it till he'll freezes over. But you and everyone else knows the truth. You're just not Man enough to admit it. So let it go....because every time you try and deny the truth, I'll happily remind you. As well As a few courageous Sabre fans. Who unlike you value their integrity

Lehner has nothing to do with the evaluation of what the Isles should do with the conditional pick... this isn't hard to understand.

Your argument is incoherent

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I could see him in Detroit.

That's possible. Howard has one more year, and Detroit will probably look to trade him as a pending UFA (if they're smart).

There's a few teams that need a starter, and a few quasi wannabe starters about to hit free agency. Should be fun to watch the goalie carousel go around a bit more. Just draw a line between the player and team:

Halak Sabres
Mrazek*Hurricanes
Lehner*Red Wings
BernierIslanders
Hutchinson??
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

*RFA expected to become UFA

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Did you just quote yourself so that your post would be at the top of a new page?

And, as a side note, I agree with @Jame. And I have no horse in this race. You're being really petty, insulting, and rude. And you're backing that up with a very poor argument.
you can agrre with whover you want

that still doesnt make a 21st pick overall better than the 5th. all it does is prove you know nothing about math

thats why he keeps bringing up dal colle to obscure the argument

who we picked was our decision good or bad, we chose to defer the pick and we gave up number 21 instead of number 5 Jame said we were wrong to do so, but only an idiot would do that

as an aside we probably would never have drafted Barzal if we had given up the 2014 pick as jame suggested. because we had no pick in 2015 we traded back into the first round since we had no pick that year. if we had kept pick 21 we likely wouldnt have traded for the pick that became Barzal. and he likely would have been gone by 21.

just goes to show that Karma is a cruel mistress.we dont follow jame's advice, we end up with Dal Colle and Barzal, and Beauvillier and the Sabres get Moulson,Lehner, and Guhle

so you can believe what you want. but i wont waste any more time on him, he just cant stand that he was wrong and we did better because of it

Last edited:

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
you can agrre with whover you want

that still doesnt make a 21st pick overall better than the 5th. all it does is prove you know nothing about math

thats why he keeps bringing up dal colle to obscure the argument

who we picked was our decision good or bad, we chose to defer the pick and we gave up number 21 instead of number 5 Jame said we were wrong to do so, but only an idiot would do that

as an aside we probably would never have drafted Barzal if we had given up the 2014 pick as jame suggested. because we had no pick in 2015 we traded back into the first round since we had no pick that year. if we had kept pick 21 we likely wouldnt have traded for the pick that became Barzal. and he likely would have been gone by 21.

just goes to show that Karma is a cruel mistress.we dont follow jame's advice, we end up with Dal Colle and Barzal, and Beauvillier and the Sabres get Moulson,Lehner, and Guhle

so you can believe what you want. but i wont waste any more time on him, he just cant stand that he was wrong and we did better because of it
JFC, the fact that it ended up being the 21st pick is totally irrelevant. At the time of his argument it was only an unknown , unprotected 15 first. Period . That fact alone made it an honest debate on what they should do with it. Literally Tsn was just debating this same exact scenario with Ottawa's option of this or next year's 1st in the Duchene trade. Stop whining for half a second and use your brain for a change. Every single f'ing time I come to the main boards you're babbling about this crap. Ffs, let it go.

Reactions: Mimsy and iSophagus

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
abe-simpson-YnmEsq9ICSYQ8

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    474.5 KB · Views: 0

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

So, if you had the 21st pick in 2015, then garth snow wouldn’t have traded Griffin Reinhart for a 1st round pick?

Lol

Reactions: iSophagus

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
JFC, the fact that it ended up being the 21st pick is totally irrelevant. At the time of his argument it was only an unknown , unprotected 15 first. Period . That fact alone made it an honest debate on what they should do with it. Literally Tsn was just debating this same exact scenario with Ottawa's option of this or next year's 1st in the Duchene trade. Stop whining for half a second and use your brain for a change. Every single f'ing time I come to the main boards you're babbling about this crap. Ffs, let it go.
that is true, but what was known when the Isles made their choice was do they give up the number 5 choice or do they bank on themselves and decide to postpone it

Jame is arguing they made the wrong decision the results show that Jame was wrong, clearly. because instead if giving up pick number 5, they gave up pick 21

Ottawa faces the same decision this year they can give up this years pick or next years to colorado. currently they are most likely picking 4th so if they follow Jame's advice they would give up a 4th overall pick instead of banking on themselves and hoping they improve next year. its the exact same situation, theres a reason TSN is talking about it, just because you dont have a clue doesnt mean its not an important decision that the Isles Correctly made, or that Ottawa needs to evaluate. but i guarantee you one thing. if its a top 5 pick this year, Ottawa will use it, just like the Isles did. they'll take their chances that next year their team will be better.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Perhaps not, but looking at goalies with at least 30 games played this season, he is 20th in Sv%.
He is no world beater but he is not the problem in Buffalo.

Not the worst problem, for sure, but didn't Buffalo sign him to a one-year deal to see if he can become a good starting goaltender. I'm not sure if they'll trade or release him at the end of this season.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
So, if you had the 21st pick in 2015, then garth snow wouldn’t have traded Griffin Reinhart for a 1st round pick?

Lol

most likely not,

as was reported at the time, he only would make that trade if Barzal was available.

The Oilers added Reinhart at the 2015 Draft via trade with the New York Islanders, sending out the 16th and 33rd overall selections for the young defenceman. It’s interesting to go back now and look at what Chiarelli said at the time of the deal:

"We’ve been hunting for defencemen, and there’s a lot of intelligence on Griffin internally. I’ve always liked him as a player. He’s been behind a lot of good defencemen in Long Island. I had discussions with Garth on and off over the last month or so and we just kind of ramped up those discussions. I saw him in pro a couple of times last year; I saw him in London for the Memorial Cup and he was just a horse. Happy to get him. We had some guys at 16 that we liked, but this was something we decided to act on and he’s ready to play and he’s going to be a very good part of our D."

Bob Green has reason to be confident in Reinhart’s potential. The strapping rearguard served him well over the years, and remains the highest player ever drafted from the Oil Kings into the NHL. I saw him play dozens of games myself over those years, and wrote this report on his draft day in 2012:

" As for Reinhart, his game matured over the course of the season, and by eye he became more effective as he, like [Matt] Dumba, realized that sometimes less is more. The big guy has some nice skills when it comes to moving the puck, getting involved in the offensive zone, booming in shots from the point, often showing up right on the doorstep. One suspects he’ll find that last tactic more effective in the pro ranks when he has the element of surprise on his side, something which will happen naturally if he evolves into more of stay-at-home guy, as many project. Perhaps because I saw him the most times over the longest range of time, I wondered at times about Reinhart’s consistency, but given that the topic is teenaged defencemen it’s probably redundant to even mention that. One very positive development in his game was an increasing willingness to buy in to the physical side of the fray. By nature the big guy plays more of a contain game — the type that drives a certain segment of the fan base nuts — but towards the end of the season and especially in the playoffs, he would mix in the odd booming hit that would be felt by one opponent but seen and heard by the rest. He’s no Shea Weber, but his overall style of game reminds me of Eric Brewer or perhaps Dan Hamhuis."

as Arthur Staple wrote in Long Islands "Newsday":

"It’s June 26, 2015, on the floor of Florida’s BB&T Center. The Islanders have already traded away their first-round draft pick, 21st overall, to complete the ill-fated Thomas Vanek deal from 2013.

As the first round progressed, general manager Garth Snow looked for a way into the middle of the pack to try and draft the player the Islanders badly want, Seattle center Mathew Barzal.

The Bruins had three straight picks, Nos. 13, 14 and 15. The Oilers, at 16 and already with Connor McDavid in the fold, were looking to deal. The Islanders brain trust held its collective breath as the Bruins make their three picks; none are Barzal. as soon as he knew Barzal was still there Snow dealt defense prospect Griffin Reinhart to Edmonton for the 16th and 33rd picks and the Islanders get their young man."

Garth Snow knew Edmonton had tried to get Reinhart twice before, and according to chiarelli they had almost drafted him first overall in 2012 before settling on Nail Yakupov. So Snow knew what he was doing. people look back now and try to revise history, because Reinhart has flamed out, but at the time the Oilers had wanted him for years

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
that is true, but what was known when the Isles made their choice was do they give up the number 5 choice or do they bank on themselves and decide to postpone it

And they banked on themselves being better, they were right.... and they still lost (MDC is garbage, the 2015 draft produced all stars deep in to the first round.

Jame is arguing they made the wrong decision the results show that Jame was wrong, clearly. because instead if giving up pick number 5, they gave up pick 21

They did make the wrong decision... that's a fact. Unless you are willing to argue that MDC is better than Brock Boeser.

I want to believe that you are simply being intellectually dishonest... but I doubt that's the case. Let's try one more time.

My argument was: The players available at #5 of the 2014 draft, are going to pale in comparison to the overwhelming talent, extending deep in to the first round of the coming 2015 draft.

I was right.

This was not a mathematical argument of #5 being more valuable than #21.

This was a talent evaluation argument.

Ottawa faces the same decision this year they can give up this years pick or next years to colorado. currently they are most likely picking 4th so if they follow Jame's advice they would give up a 4th overall pick instead of banking on themselves and hoping they improve next year. its the exact same situation, theres a reason TSN is talking about it, just because you dont have a clue doesnt mean its not an important decision that the Isles Correctly made, or that Ottawa needs to evaluate. but i guarantee you one thing. if its a top 5 pick this year, Ottawa will use it, just like the Isles did. they'll take their chances that next year their team will be better.

My advice would be focused on the talent in the 2018 draft, and not focused on draft position. (The 2018 draft is also significantly better than 2014).

The fact that you think I would give the same advice, regardless of talent/draft... shows once again that you do not understand the argument at all.

Reactions: iSophagus

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
most likely not,

as was reported at the time, he only would make that trade if Barzal was available.

The Oilers added Reinhart at the 2015 Draft via trade with the New York Islanders, sending out the 16th and 33rd overall selections for the young defenceman. It’s interesting to go back now and look at what Chiarelli said at the time of the deal:

"We’ve been hunting for defencemen, and there’s a lot of intelligence on Griffin internally. I’ve always liked him as a player. He’s been behind a lot of good defencemen in Long Island. I had discussions with Garth on and off over the last month or so and we just kind of ramped up those discussions. I saw him in pro a couple of times last year; I saw him in London for the Memorial Cup and he was just a horse. Happy to get him. We had some guys at 16 that we liked, but this was something we decided to act on and he’s ready to play and he’s going to be a very good part of our D."

Bob Green has reason to be confident in Reinhart’s potential. The strapping rearguard served him well over the years, and remains the highest player ever drafted from the Oil Kings into the NHL. I saw him play dozens of games myself over those years, and wrote this report on his draft day in 2012:

" As for Reinhart, his game matured over the course of the season, and by eye he became more effective as he, like [Matt] Dumba, realized that sometimes less is more. The big guy has some nice skills when it comes to moving the puck, getting involved in the offensive zone, booming in shots from the point, often showing up right on the doorstep. One suspects he’ll find that last tactic more effective in the pro ranks when he has the element of surprise on his side, something which will happen naturally if he evolves into more of stay-at-home guy, as many project. Perhaps because I saw him the most times over the longest range of time, I wondered at times about Reinhart’s consistency, but given that the topic is teenaged defencemen it’s probably redundant to even mention that. One very positive development in his game was an increasing willingness to buy in to the physical side of the fray. By nature the big guy plays more of a contain game — the type that drives a certain segment of the fan base nuts — but towards the end of the season and especially in the playoffs, he would mix in the odd booming hit that would be felt by one opponent but seen and heard by the rest. He’s no Shea Weber, but his overall style of game reminds me of Eric Brewer or perhaps Dan Hamhuis."

as Arthur Staple wrote in Long Islands "Newsday":

"It’s June 26, 2015, on the floor of Florida’s BB&T Center. The Islanders have already traded away their first-round draft pick, 21st overall, to complete the ill-fated Thomas Vanek deal from 2013.

As the first round progressed, general manager Garth Snow looked for a way into the middle of the pack to try and draft the player the Islanders badly want, Seattle center Mathew Barzal.

The Bruins had three straight picks, Nos. 13, 14 and 15. The Oilers, at 16 and already with Connor McDavid in the fold, were looking to deal. The Islanders brain trust held its collective breath as the Bruins make their three picks; none are Barzal. as soon as he knew Barzal was still there Snow dealt defense prospect Griffin Reinhart to Edmonton for the 16th and 33rd picks and the Islanders get their young man."

Garth Snow knew Edmonton had tried to get Reinhart twice before, and according to chiarelli they had almost drafted him first overall in 2012 before settling on Nail Yakupov. So Snow knew what he was doing. people look back now and try to revise history, because Reinhart has flamed out, but at the time the Oilers had wanted him for years

This is hilarious.

So Edmonton wanted Reinhart.... but your argument is that Garth Snow would've said NO to that trade because he had #21?

lol

So Barzal is available at #15.... Chiarelli offers it for Reinhart.... and Snow says no.

Lol

Hindsight is 20/20... but if you followed my advice... you'd have Barzal and Boeser. Instead you have Barzal and MDC.....

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
This is hilarious.

So Edmonton wanted Reinhart.... but your argument is that Garth Snow would've said NO to that trade because he had #21?

lol

So Barzal is available at #15.... Chiarelli offers it for Reinhart.... and Snow says no.

Lol

Hindsight is 20/20... but if you followed my advice... you'd have Barzal and Boeser. Instead you have Barzal and MDC.....
YOURE FULL OF IT

# 5 OVERALL IS BETTER THAN #21 period, the isles could have drafted William Nylander, David Pastrnak, Nikolai Ehlers, Dylan Larkin, youre just using hindsight because Dal Colle hasnt progressed. if you were so smart why did the Sabres Draft Sam Reinhart instead of Leon Draisaitl ?

heck you HAD that same #21 pick that you say we should have kept, and yet you traded it for Robin Lehner, Why didnt the Sabres just keep that pick and take Boeser yourselves?

you were wrong and everyone knows it. you act like you know whos gonna succeed and who's gonna fail, when you dont know squat. I take 5th overall over #21 any time simply because your more likely to get a better player . i trust any gm given the same option that the Isles had would do the same.

a guaranteed top 5 pick is ALWAYS worth more than an unknown 1st. You were wrong the sabres took reinhart instead of Draisaitl..... youre just mad that we gave you #21 and you got Lehner, instead of us sucking and you got Eichel and Lehner instead of McDavid AND Eichel like you were hoping,

you were wrong and everytime you realize you got Eichel instead of McDavid. it just kills you. guess what sonny, you got what you deserved,

and Ill take Barzal and Dal Colle over Reinhart and Lehner anyday

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
@Jame @72hockey guy Can we just stop with this argument now and get back to the real thread about Lehner?

If you want to have a discussion about the Islanders draft picks, this is not the place to do it. I even chimed in a bit on the topic, but this is beyond thread hijacking at this point. Make your own thread if you want to about that topic. But some people might actually want to discuss Lehner in this Lehner thread, but you are making it literally impossible by stomping out conversation with your back-and-forth.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
@Jame @72hockey guy Can we just stop with this argument now and get back to the real thread about Lehner?

If you want to have a discussion about the Islanders draft picks, this is not the place to do it. I even chimed in a bit on the topic, but this is beyond thread hijacking at this point. Make your own thread if you want to about that topic. But some people might actually want to discuss Lehner in this Lehner thread, but you are making it literally impossible by stomping out conversation with your back-and-forth.

To be fair... it's not really an argument. ;)

Reactions: Mimsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad