Speculation: What happens to Nicklas Bäckström after this season?

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
From what i know he told a swedish newspaper in his home town about his plans.
1) re-sign with CAPS. But he isn't sure about the terms for now
2) retire as a Caps player and finish the career with his hometown team in Sweden after the contract IF he feels like his body is up for it.
3) I don't read swedish so i cant verify it for personaly, but a swedish friend of mine told me about it. Should be on google if any swede wants to confirm.

Anyway, it will probably be the last NHL contract he signs, so maybe 3 or 4 year deal? This takes him to 35 which is probably a solid age if he wants to do step 2.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
From what i know he told a swedish newspaper in his home town about his plans.
1) re-sign with CAPS. But he isn't sure about the terms for now
2) retire as a Caps player and finish the career with his hometown team in Sweden after the contract IF he feels like his body is up for it.
3) I don't read swedish so i cant verify it for personaly, but a swedish friend of mine told me about it. Should be on google if any swede wants to confirm.

Anyway, it will probably be the last NHL contract he signs, so maybe 3 or 4 year deal? This takes him to 35 which is probably a solid age if he wants to do step 2.

2) and 3) are correct. He's been very clear about his intention to go home and represent Brynäs by the end of his career. A lot of players say that though, so who knows.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Yeah, the Caps are going to take care of Backstrom and Ovechkin, with whatever paths the two want to take, and I don't expect negotiations take very long. Now with Holtby, there is a very real possibility they let him walk and have Samsonov take over.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

Armchair GM

Jul 2, 2019
Depends on this season really, but I think he retires a Capital and gives them a decent deal on the next contract.

5 x $8.5

Today Aho is better than backs and loon at his deal. If Backs gives a hometown discount you are lookin at 7,5M aav.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He ditches Washington for Russia with Holtby now that he has his cup.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Cap for life- not a doubt in my mind.

The organization has been really clear they are committed to paying him what it takes. He and Ovi are really the only players they have made public statements like that about. Normally, they play it a lot more close to the vest. Even with Carlson, they said they wanted to keep him, but it was never certain. Backstrom and Ovi are different though. The Caps are 100% committed to keeping them Caps for life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad