Speculation: What happens to Nicklas Bäckström after this season?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
What do people think? What would his value be on the open market and what do you think Caps could offer in order to keep him, considering Ovie's contract expires a year later?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
He's retiring a Cap unless he has a bad year.

Not sure about retiring, but no other NHL teams seems likely. He's alwasy been pretty open with wanting to go back home to give it a shot with Brynäs before retirement.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
He already gave them a discount last time. Why would he again this time ?

Yeah im sure theyll be teams offering 10mil.

So unless he re-signs during season....he will enter FA.

Caps might want to pay him tho...

After seeing how Kuznetsov played last year

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Could only imagine how much Montreal would pay for a guy like Backstrom. Even on the back end of his career.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Washington will likely put all their money into backstrom which makes him unlikely to hit free agency. Holtby on the other hand may be out of luck

Reactions: Futures Passed

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What do people think? What would his value be on the open market and what do you think Caps could offer in order to keep him, considering Ovie's contract expires a year later?

You gotta remember though, ovechkin already makes 9.5 mil so they literally wont have to find a lot of extra money to sign him. Backstrom at 6.7 likely has to find an additional 2 mil somewhere

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
He deserves even more, but Caps are very close to the cap limit. If they want to stay competitive, they need Ovy and Backstrom to give discounts.

Caps will have 19 mil of cap space next year with just basically backstrom, holtby and sigenthaler to sign.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
He already gave them a discount last time. Why would he again this time ?

He's on the wrong side of 30. I can see a Pavelski problem with Backstrom. He's going to want the term but I think the caps will be reluctant in giving it to him.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
He's on the wrong side of 30. I can see a Pavelski problem with Backstrom. He's going to want the term but I think the caps will be reluctant in giving it to him.

Ted doesn't care. He wants Ovechkin and Backstrom to be Capitals for life, and he'll make stupid financial decisions to make it happen. If it takes an 8 year term, Ted will instruct BMac to do it.

It wouldn't shock me if Backstrom worked with the organization though. That's me spitballing, but call it educated spitballing. I think both he and OV will work with BMac and sign something that is fair.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->