Speculation: What happens if the Oilers are in contention for Connor McDavid?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes but factoring in also that Krueger had a weaker roster. RNH was playing with a shoulder that needed surgery, Eberle's finger was broken, Whitney could barely skate straight, Perron is far better than Paajarvi and Yakupov was a pure rookie, etc. etc.

I think they probably finish around 70 points last year if it was a full season (they were on track for 77 or so I think).

Eakins' system is literally the worst system I've ever seen employed for a Oilers team relative to the roster.

The team was playing over their heads for a week and then remembered who they really were and fell back to earth.

They still had trouble getting up for games and even the thought of a playoff berth couldn't motivate them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The team was playing over their heads for a week and then remembered who they really were and fell back to earth.

They still had trouble getting up for games and even the thought of a playoff berth couldn't motivate them.

They were still playing considerably better than this bunch.

Look at this drop off in plus/minus

Taylor Hall +5 last year, -15 this year

Jordan Eberle -4 last year, -11 this year

Ryan Nugent Hopkins +3 last year, -15 this year

Nail Yakupov -4 last year, -32 (!) this year

Sam Gagner -6 last year, -21 this year

These are pretty horrid drop offs in Eakins system. Either all these kids have bad attitudes or something is wrong with the overall system.

The powerplay also went from 8th best in the NHL to 21st best.

We would've finished with 67-74 points last year just based off our special teams.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes the team was playing better last year but is that really saying a whole lot? Down the stretch the team played the same lifeless hockey we're seeing this year.

I still remember the Flames walking into Rexall place and punching us right in the mouth with a bunch of scrubs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes the team was playing better last year but is that really saying a whole lot? Down the stretch the team played the same lifeless hockey we're seeing this year.

I still remember the Flames walking into Rexall place and punching us right in the mouth with a bunch of scrubs.

I'm certainly not saying the Oilers are anywhere close to a good hockey team.

Still I think given a full training camp, a healthy RNH, a healthy Eberle, a more seasoned Yakupov, and roster improvements in Ference, Perron, Gordon (over Whitney, Paajarvi, Horcoff) that under Krueger, who I will say loudly is a mediocre coach, would have them probably playing about 70-75 point hockey this season.

I don't think that's unreasonable even by jaded person's standards.

The Canucks passed on Eakins for good reason. Burke also passed on him for the Leafs gig. I don't think these were coincidences. Leave it to the Oilers to buy into the Toronto hype machine. Coaching in the AHL and coaching with the big boys in the NHL are two very different things.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm certainly not saying the Oilers are anywhere close to a good hockey team.

Still I think given a full training camp, a healthy RNH, a healthy Eberle, a more seasoned Yakupov, and roster improvements in Ference, Perron, Gordon (over Whitney, Paajarvi, Horcoff) that under Krueger, who I will say loudly is a mediocre coach, would have them probably playing about 70-75 point hockey this season.

I don't think that's unreasonable even by jaded person's standards.

The Canucks passed on Eakins for good reason. Burke also passed on him for the Leafs gig. I don't think these were coincidences. Leave it to the Oilers to buy into the Toronto hype machine. Coaching in the AHL and coaching with the big boys in the NHL are two very different things.

That's twice now we've bought into it...

Sigh, I'm not confident that whoever replaces Eakins will get the most out of the kids. They seem to have accepted losing and I'm not sure anyone can get that out of them.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Honestly if they're in a position to draft McDavid you draft him. Then you look at moving RNH to fill needs. Hopefully Nurse/Ekblad/Klefbom/Marincin/Schultz can form your defensive core, so you're looking for a top end goalie and say a big 2C and top 6 W.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If we're in contention for Connor McDavid, I'm going to start watching polo, snooker and baseball.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
That the final piece of the rebuild.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Xxx-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Ekblad-Nurse

Just need to draft Tyler Benson in 2016 to fill that second line LW spot and rebukd wil be complete. We win the next 10 Stanley cups in a row, Lowe looks like a genius, tier 2 fans get upgraded to tier 1 fans and tier 1 fans get upgraded to platinum fans. City changes sign from City of Champions to Lowe's City of Super Champions. #4 gets retired league wide. New arena gets a statue of Lowe holding six cups at the same time while standing on the burnt remains of Rexall Place.

h157524A8

Kovacs

Jul 22, 2013
Alberta
That the final piece of the rebuild.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Xxx-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Ekblad-Nurse

Just need to draft Tyler Benson in 2016 to fill that second line LW spot and rebukd wil be complete. We win the next 10 Stanley cups in a row, Lowe looks like a genius, tier 2 fans get upgraded to tier 1 fans and tier 1 fans get upgraded to platinum fans. City changes sign from City of Champions to Lowe's City of Super Champions. #4 gets retired league wide. New arena gets a statue of Lowe holding six cups at the same time while standing on the burnt remains of Rexall Place.

Bold, very bold.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
They Oilers will easily be in contention for McDavid unless they trade away significant pieces this summer for help.

One defenseman under contract (Ference) with almost no defensemen to be had in free agency. Along with zero goaltenders signed for next season...

The defense next season will likely be even worse because management will just cross their fingers and pray that a couple of rookie defensemen can save them.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Is there anyone that is really worried with how soft this group is:

Jordan Eberle
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Nail Yakupov
Connor McDavid

Spread those skill guys around on three lines and find three of the biggest, meanest SOBs you can find and put one on each line. Problem solved. Am I bold?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As long as the mean SOB can keep up . Most are slow moving by the time they caught up Hall and RNH would all ready be lost for the season

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
i would literally shiat my pants if we got McDavid. And if you think the Oilers are hated now.. imagine all the hate and jealousy if we got McDavid too.

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
It's worth noting that because of the new format for the draft, it's possible to be a decent team, JUST miss the playoffs (and in the western conference, that might mean being better than some eastern teams that make it in), and still have at least a chance of getting the first overall pick.

So, it is possible, however unlikely, that the Oilers could progress a great deal next season and still end up with Connor McDavid.

That said...

I think if Craig MacTavish cannot get this team moving in a positive direction, IE, at least within shooting range of the playoffs, after two years of changes, then I think there's reason to fire him, as well as the rest of the management team. I might be willing to give one more year (depending on circumstances... say, I might be more forgiving if Hall and Nugent-Hopkins both suffer season ending injuries early on), but I think if you can't at least improve matters after two complete seasons, there's reason to question competence.

It's worth noting that it took until Steve Tambellini's second season as GM to move the team from somewhat below average (which is what Lowe managed) to abysmal. I think the first year of a GM's tenure is more indicative of the previous GM's competence, and the second is more indicative of the current GM's ability.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Nothing will change. We draft high, get all excited that maybe this is the year we will do good. We fall flat on our faces and are quickly out of contention. We start planning our next top pick. It's like Groundhogs day, suck in a neverending nightmare.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The one thing the Oilers have accomplished this year is that they have successfully reset expectations for coming years. Before this season people, experts and fans alike predicated an outside shot at the playoffs since we briefly flirted with 8th last year. Even the most pessimistic people thought the Oilers would be bad but at least not as bad as Calgary.

There will be virtually no expectations for next year and much less of a fuss if the team is really bad. Better yet, if the Oilers end up 25th overall next year and manage to avoid being out of the playoffs by Christmas it will be hailed as true progress.

Sloth Slothersons*

We will roll 4 scoring lines after the 2016 draft. Just fill in the blanks.

Hall - ??? - Perron
Benson - McDavid - ???
??? - RNH - Yakupov
??? - Reinhart - Eberle

This allows us to light up the opposition or force them to roll 4 shutdown lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad