WJC: What happened with the Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidic15*

They don't care because they know there fellow Russians are not that good. Countries big enough that it can poor out some very good talent every few years but as a whole the talent is lacking in a big way.

We Canadians understand about foundation building and take pride in watching our players develop from a younger age into stars. This is an area Russia hockey culture has lost and don't understand anymore.

Once you lose it you fall into mediocrity and that is what the Russian program is right now. Living off past glory and have become an overrated hockey nation.

Soon we'll be saying this about Canada. Isn't the native Canadian population being replaced by minorities? This won't take very long since Canada doesn't even have a third of the population of Russia. Good luck with that, Canada.

The Fuhr*

KHL. The leauge for little NHL fish in a big pond, to feel much, much larger.

Plus Canada took Olympic gold in 2002. When was the last time Russia struck gold?

Have a look at some of the KHL scoring leaders
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=KHL&season=2009

*Patrick Thoresen
*Marcel Hossa
*Mattias Weinhandl
*Josef Vasicek
Jiri Novotny

Players not even close enough to being better then bottom six talent in the NHL, ripping up the KHL. Any league that has guys like Novotny and Thoresen at a PPG is second rate.

I don't know how anyone can take the KHL seriously.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
its only one game

If it was just one game then yea it would not be a big deal, but they lost to Latvia this year, played poorly against Finland, got destroyed by Canada in the junior summit series. I can keep going on the Russian senior team is going to be hurting down the road as a result.

VladNYC*

*Patrick Thoresen
*Marcel Hossa
*Mattias Weinhandl
*Josef Vasicek
Jiri Novotny

Players not even close enough to being better then bottom six talent in the NHL, ripping up the KHL. Any league that has guys like Novotny and Thoresen at a PPG is second rate.

Well we already know that NHL leading scorers can't score in the KHL so what does that say about the NHL?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Need i cite the numerous examples of young players who have broken out since leaving that blob of a coach? As for Filatov excelling in the KHL. You don't think he would have an easier time playing in a league whose style he's been playing for 15 years? Name some Rookies who have had hat tricks in the NHL, playing on a defense first team, with very limited ice time, all while adjusting to the north American game. Columbus is the graveyard of young talent, quit lying to your self.

This just says everything about how far off base your argument is.

Seems like Russia is a graveyard of NHL talent because they keep leaving because they only want to play when they feel like it, and get paid like they think they should. Ken Hitchcock, is not a very good young players' coach, but he's also won a Stanley Cup, which is the ultimate goal. Guys like this, Radulov, Zherdev, and such think they're bigger than the team, and is why they're in a league where they are bigger than the team ATM. It's a typical loser mentality that won't get you anywhere over here. Enver Lisin was another one who was pissed off because the Coyotes wanted him to play in the AHL. And guess what, that's exactly what he needed to do, and he by no means has established himself with the Rangers just yet.

You're pointing out ONE game as factual evidence that Filatov is worthy of such entitlement that he should be handed playing time because he is a one-way floater with loads of talent and rocks for brains.

An NHL season is 82 games. He's only played 21 games. He was so great in limited time with that ONE great game he had, that with his immense talent.

This kind of King of **** attitude and demeanor is exactly why Filatov is excelling in the KHL, and flounders in North America. Because Nikita Filatov wants to play the way Nikita Filatov wants to play, and not how the Columbus Blue Jackets want him to play.

And it's just so frustrating how the greatest player ever never to assist on an NHL goal is so wronged and suppressed because in ONE game he showed just how utterly spectacular he thinks he should be.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre

*Patrick Thoresen
*Marcel Hossa
*Mattias Weinhandl
*Josef Vasicek
Jiri Novotny

Funny enough, not a single Canadian on your list. Perhaps it is because that in the NHL some foreigners do not get enough chance to shine in favor of some Canadian scrubs?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
The MHL is a mess, that is why. Coaching obviously is lacking at this level like others have said. But look at all of the players eligible to play in the MHL that don't. This kills the talent pool of the league and therefore the development o f many young players. 14 Russian born players in the CHL/USHL, 7 in the AHL, and countless players like Petrov who are in the 2nd league or bottom lines at the KHL level. 21 high caliber players don't even play in Russia, and many others float around the KHL/Vishya. That's at least 2 teams worth of high caliber players playing elsewhere than the main junior league for Russia.
If Russia could force its players to play in the MHL, and only allow the top players to leave at 19, the league would be much better. Banning MHL eligible players from the Vishya league would also increase the talent pool.

The Fuhr*

At the pace the KHL has been developing it may as well put the NHL to shame in terms of quality of skill in about a decade. Wait until MHL picks steam up, Europeans join.

One step at a time. Lets hope the MHL allows you to develop the talent to beat teams like Swiss at the junior level.

Darth Sidious*

*Patrick Thoresen
*Marcel Hossa
*Mattias Weinhandl
*Josef Vasicek
Jiri Novotny

It's because the Russian apologists are the biggest homers I have ever seen. They are the ones claiming that the KHL teams will "spank" half the NHL teams.

I wonder what colour the sky is in their little world.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
If it was just one game then yea it would not be a big deal, but they lost to Latvia this year, played poorly against Finland, got destroyed by Canada in the junior summit series. I can keep going on the Russian senior team is going to be hurting down the road as a result.

I don't know, the KHL's latest scheme is it's started it's own junior league to try and rival Canada, the only way these nations are ever going to really give Canada a run is if they build more rinks, cause they have too many players signed up and not enough rink time for them.

Darth Sidious*

Well we already know that NHL leading scorers can't score in the KHL so what does that say about the NHL?

The players viewed the KHL as a paycheque and a way to keep in shape.

You are fooling yourself (doesn't seem to be that hard to do for you) if you think otherwise.

The Fuhr*

Funny enough, not a single Canadian on your list. Perhaps it is because that in the NHL some foreigners do not get enough chance to shine in favor of some Canadian scrubs?

Canadians would rather spend time in the 2nd best league in the world... the AHL.

Darth Sidious*

I certainly did. Swiss Lions beating Chicago will probably guarantee Ak Bars spanking the same team (with top Canadain defensive pair BTW) about 5:0.

Like the Hawks even cared about that game.

Nobody in North America cared about that game.

Kind of like how you said nobody in Russia cares about the WJ.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
What a pathetic and sad thread :help:

I'll put my 2 cents in.
World Cup Of Hockey=Joke no one in Europe cares for it and it is seen by European players as merely an exhibition tournament. We don't even know when it is hosted etc

World Championship=A lot of history etc however NA don't care about it which means it is basically the same as World Cup Of Hockey to Europeans.

Cancel one another out

Olympics=The real tournament to judge senior hockey FULL STOP

About this years WJC Russia just had a bad coach and people are over reacting or wanting to take a hit at Russia because they have an agenda.

It is bloody Juniors really i don't even give a **** about it ffs 90% of each squad won't even make the NT(Except Canada's 05 WJC team)

Finally I watch the KHL 3 times more then the NHL, not because of the level but because i prefer the style not this smaller ice **** where its like an allyway congested and passes go flying everywhere :shakehead Still it is the best league in the World, and KHL is second hate idiots who talk about the KHL when they have never watched it OHH STATS STATS STATS OMFG STATS :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad