WJC: What happened with the Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Not sure what the issue is this year but i've noticed since the Summit Series in 72 that they've slowly gotten away from the cohesive 5 man units and puck possession trademarks of yesteryear that made them such a force. Obviously the game has evolved but theres no reason i can think of to have altered those successful strategies.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
They were beaten by a better team.

Extra emphasis on the word "team."

Being Russian doesn't automatically make them the favourites in a tournament. (See: Finland, 2006)

Macman

May 15, 2004
Not sure what the issue is this year but i've noticed since the Summit Series in 72 that they've slowly gotten away from the cohesive 5 man units and puck possession trademarks of yesteryear that made them such a force. Obviously the game has evolved but theres no reason i can think of to have altered those successful strategies.

I can think of one. These players come from a variety of different teams, unlike the Russian national teams of yore, which were largely dominated by Red Army. It's hard enough putting together cohesive forward lines on short notice with all-star teams let alone five-man units.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Russian hockey is over-rated. Sure they have some top end talent but their depth isn't that great and they don't play with the same type of passion as, say, Canadians.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I can think of one. These players come from a variety of different teams, unlike the Russian national teams of yore, which were largely dominated by Red Army. It's hard enough putting together cohesive forward lines on short notice with all-star teams let alone five-man units.

That would certainly add to the difficulty and perhaps they attempted to maintain those strategies and found them ineffective.

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
Russian hockey is over-rated. Sure they have some top end talent but their depth isn't that great and they don't play with the same type of passion as, say, Canadians.

Actually they were probably the youngest team amoung elite nations....it was easy to see this was going to be a down year. Watch out next season though, they will be a medal favorite once again.

The Fuhr*

An overrated nation that is really not as good as other hockey nations.
It's why there is only 26 or so Russian players in the NHL, the Russian hockey federation like using the guise of the KHL to hide there ineptitude with good hockey players, it's why they have not signed a transfer agreement. Then the rest of the hockey world will really find out the majority of Russian players are overrated.

It's also why they have begun implementing a junior league like Canada's CHL, the majority of there young kids are no match for us and it really showed yesterday with how the Swiss beat them.

A completely overrated hockey country that is living off of a couple superstars reputations.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site

Last time i cheked Ovechkin is russian and Makin oooooooooooooooh well too:help:

Vladsky

Mar 8, 2008
It's why there is only 26 or so Russian players in the NHL, the Russian hockey federation like using the guise of the KHL to hide there ineptitude with good hockey players, it's why they have not signed a transfer agreement. Then the rest of the hockey world will really find out the majority of Russian players are overrated.

It's also why they have begun implementing a junior league like Canada's CHL, the majority of there young kids are no match for us and it really showed yesterday with how the Swiss beat them.

A completely overrated hockey country that is living off of a couple superstars reputations.

IIRC, the Swiss men's team beat Canada at 2006 Olympics. So now we are kinda even ).

KHL was started since a great hockey nation needs a great hockey league. KHL players are not overrated, and I really hope that you (and other Canadian hockey fans) will find it out for yourself in a couple of months.

The reason for starting up MHL is to bring back the domination at the junior level. USSR dominated in this department right until the country broke up, so this piece of history shows that nothing is impossible.

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

I usually respect your posts, but this is way way off.

There are 26 players of Russian origin in the NHL, because the majority of mid-level Russian players have realized its far easier to stay at home. Guys like Zherdev, Zinoviev, Morozov etc would all above average NHL players (Zherdev was before anybody retorts). Its also a preferable environment for some good Russian talents because the stylistics of the European game suit them more than the North American game.

This Russian team talent wise is very good. Unfortunately, outside of Filatov and Petrov (and Filatov crapped the bed), all these good talents are in their draft year. Weak coaching, poor chemistry and inability to turn talent into performance has meant they have had a poor tournament. The Russian junior style does not match up very well against a North American style, but later down the line, that individual talent they have will manifest it into success.

The MHL was created to improve the junior situation in Russia, and of course right now, they are some issues within junior hockey and development that need to be sorted out, but lets be clear here ; Russia is still producing some very good junior players.

Lets not also forget that Russia was still the better team last night. Of course Russia crapped the bed and lost, but lets not go completely overboard.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
We have a good thread about this issue in the Russian board, if anyone is interested.

Biggest issue is that not too many people in Russia care about junior hockey and that somehow needs to change. TV ratings are non-existent, the program is lacking, no good coaches available for the team.

LostMyGlasses*

I thought the Russians took the Swiss far to lightly. They tried cute passes and individual rushes that were stopped easily by the Swiss defence and netminder.

Additionally, there star player, Filatov, looked awful this tournament. Must have been because Hitchcock was coaching the Russian team.

The Fuhr*

We have a good thread about this issue in the Russian board, if anyone is interested.

Biggest issue is that not too many people in Russia care about junior hockey and that somehow needs to change. TV ratings are non-existent, the program is lacking, no good coaches available for the team.

They don't care because they know there fellow Russians are not that good. Countries big enough that it can poor out some very good talent every few years but as a whole the talent is lacking in a big way.

We Canadians understand about foundation building and take pride in watching our players develop from a younger age into stars. This is an area Russia hockey culture has lost and don't understand anymore.

Once you lose it you fall into mediocrity and that is what the Russian program is right now. Living off past glory and have become an overrated hockey nation.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
They don't care because they know there fellow Russians are not that good. Countries big enough that it can poor out some very good talent every few years but as a whole the talent is lacking in a big way.

We Canadians understand about foundation building and take pride in watching our players develop from a younger age into stars. This is an area Russia hockey culture has lost and don't understand anymore.

Once you lose it you fall into mediocrity and that is what the Russian program is right now. Living off past glory and becoming an overrated hockey nation.

Historically there was never any serious interest, even back in Soviet times when they showed juniors on national channels. Now it gets so little coverage that the only channel showing it is NTV+, paid satellite channel.

I am with Canadians on this one, it's a hell of a tournament and it would be awesome to win it every year as Canadians do.

Let's not overrate the tournament though, it really doesn't mean a lot when it comes to the senior hockey. Sweden hasn't won it since forever and they are reigning Olympic Champions. Canada's some of the top players from this tournament are ended up being really hockey nobodies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Obviously it's because the Rangers didn't allow Grachev to go.

(I'm joking, but I'm also betting that that excuse does get trotted out by someone at some point..."NHL teams kept our best players from playing!" Just seems like something any team would say after underachieving that badly)

VladNYC*

I'm not going to post much here since this thread is flame bait.

A) our junior program sucks and needs to be revamped. Thus the new MHL this year. Hopefully something good will come out of it.

B)I don't need to defend the KHL, it speaks for it self. The fact that Canadian trolls are bashing it is because they are butt hurt and scared. The league has made HUGE leaps since its humble beginnings a few years ago. 60 KHLers are going to be in the olympics this year. Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Honestly Russia and other countries like Slovakia and Czech Republic are too busy being political and they don't take this tournament seriously.

Russia didn't even take Kabanov. Yeah he's injured now but the coach didn't want him on the team. I'm sure there are other Russians who came to Canada to play in the CHL that Russia held a grudge against.

Czech Republic tried black mailing Polasek, I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

Slovakia left off Jurco and Hrivik. Both of which would easily have been on their top 2 lines.

This is just players in the Q. I'm sure there are others in the W and the O.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One thing is that Nikita Filatov found out he isn't as good as he kept telling Ken Hitchcock he was.

Russia has also lacked developing goaltenders.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
One thing is that Nikita Filatov found out he isn't as good as he kept telling Ken Hitchcock he was.

Russia has also lacked developing goaltenders.

Quite contrary. Filatov will be good, just needs to play in his system. Russian goaltenders are much better now than they were 5 years ago. Bobkov is going to be a beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad