What Happened to Stamkos?

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
A few years ago Stamkos was one of the best players in the NHL. He had 50 and 60 goal seasons, 90+ points and he was in his early 20s. Now that he's in his prime you'd think he would be better but he's worse. He hasn't been ppg for the last two seasons I know he had a leg injury but it shouldn't have that much of an impact. What has changed since then.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Too many injuries, specifically ones that aren't exactly 'routine' so to speak, they're tougher injuries that take a lot of recovery.

Also, the loss of a playmaker like St. Louis has really hurt him, in my opinion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Keep in mind that scoring is declining league wide as well. Not only is it declining, but its also being more evenly distributed throughout lineups.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I haven't looked too in-depth at it but hasn't it been said players are hitting their primes younger (around age 23?) so maybe he is simply exiting his prime. From ages 19-23 he was a PPG or higher player, age 24 he was 10 points below a PPG and last season 13. Also for a good part of his high scoring years the two main guys were St. Louis and Stamkos and then whoever got to ride shot gun on his line.

The last couple of years the Lightning seem to be more balanced, with guys like Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, Filppula, Callahan, Drouin, Namestnikov, Killorn all cutting into the production of the higher end guys. (Some of them are higher end mind you).

With potentially 9 guys who have showed ability to score in this league, the point totals of Stamkos are going to drop because there is only so many goals to go around. The better the team, the less points you're going to get individually because no matter what team you are, you likely aren't going to score over 3 goals per game, so same amount of goals and more players to share those goals with.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Probably a number of factors, both physical and mental, most of which stem from the broken leg. Also, and I say this as a pretty big Stamkos critic, the one benefit of the doubt he has to be given is: linemates. He's not a guy who creates a lot of plays.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Probably a number of factors, both physical and mental, most of which stem from the broken leg. Also, and I say this as a pretty big Stamkos critic, the one benefit of the doubt he has to be given is: linemates. He's not a guy who creates a lot of plays.

The problem is he is trying to make the plays. I think he feels like he needs to step up and be this all around playmaker/scorer since St. Louis left.

I will give him this, he's getting better defensively from what I watch Of him, but he is just trying too hard to be a player he is not.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His leg injury cost him some explosiveness, but I'd say the biggest factor is the loss of MSL. It reminds me a bit of when Brett Hull lost Adam Oates. Hull scored over 70 goals 3 times in his career, all 3 years he played primarily with Oates, without him he never broke 60. For a guy with a shot like Stamkos (or Ovi and Hull) having a high end playmaker like Oates or MSL (and to a lesser extent Backstrom) really can unlock things to set up deadly one times on the weak side.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
Playing with grinder doesn't help (killorn, callahan)...he was At his best with A good passer on his line(stlouis)...let's hope he develop a chemistry with Drouin!

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I would say three things:

1) Cooper's system is not as wide open. Naturally it produces less "flashy offense"
2) MSL is an Art Ross forward. Who isn't going to see their stats decline when you take that kind of linemate away?
3) Minutes are down. Went from 22 to under 20... with Johnson/Palat/Kucherov/Drouin, there are just plenty of go-to forwards on different lines.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Playing with grinder doesn't help (killhorn, callahan)...hé Wais At his best with A good passer on his line(stlouis)...let's hope he develop a chemistry with Drouin!

Filp / Killorn / Callahan ... Stamkos needs a playmaking winger. Drouin will be that this season - I see 70+ from Stamkos barring any injuries this year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Stamkos doesn't really drive play himself.

He has elite shooting percentage, but doesnt actually generate a ton of shots or shot-assists himself relative to other elite centers.

He's fine but not great defensively.

Basically, he should move to wing and play with a play-making center, or Tampa needs to find a play-making winger. Stamkos is the guy you want shooting the puck on your team since his sh% is so good, but you need somebody that can support him and drive the number of shots he has the opportunity to take up.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
Stamkos doesn't really drive play himself.

He has elite shooting percentage, but doesnt actually generate a ton of shots or shot-assists himself relative to other elite centers.

He's fine but not great defensively.

Basically, he should move to wing and play with a play-making center, or Tampa needs to find a play-making winger. Stamkos is the guy you want shooting the puck on your team since his sh% is so good, but you need somebody that can support him and drive the number of shots he has the opportunity to take up.

Do TB fans think that Drouin can turn into that playmaking winger that Stamkos needs?

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Do TB fans think that Drouin can turn into that playmaking winger that Stamkos needs?
I do believe Drouin can be the playmaker Stamkos needs. As of now it's a reach to say he can reach the level of St. Louis, but he has the tools you'd want for a winger playing alongside Stamkos. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them on the same line. It's long overdue.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
His level of play is down but production isn't bad for a guy struggling as he has. He's an elite producer, he's still managed a 60/70 point season on massive down years, I think last year is about as low as he goes, 70+ is still easily attainable for him. 80-90 on a good year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad