What happened to Dustin Byfuglien?

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
Dustin Byfuglien was at 1 point one of the best Defensemen in the National Hockey League. His freak size and strong physical play helped him become a good shut down defensemen and a scary person to play against. So much that he helped the 2010 blackhawks capture their first Stanley Cup in 48 years. He was a great lethal asset for the Winnipeg Jets but just last year his contract was terminated and ever since then hes been an unrestricted free agent. He hasn't signed with a team or played a single NHL Game since. So this begs the question, whats happened to big buff?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'm pretty sure he retired while he was young enough to pursue his favorite outdoorsman hobbies.

He told Winnipeg he'd lost the desire to play hockey and he apparently told his agent to not have contract talks when the Wild reached out intending to sign him. He has no desire to return to the NHL.

In any case, he made his money and walked away from the sport. Nothing I've heard or read suggests he has any regrets about it.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Dustin Byfuglien was at 1 point one of the best Defensemen in the National Hockey League. His freak size and strong physical play helped him become a good shut down defensemen and a scary person to play against. So much that he helped the 2010 blackhawks capture their first Stanley Cup in 48 years. He was a great lethal asset for the Winnipeg Jets but just last year his contract was terminated and ever since then hes been an unrestricted free agent. He hasn't signed with a team or played a single NHL Game since. So this begs the question, whats happened to big buff?
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't remember him as a shutdown D-man. He was an offensive guy from what I recall and pretty sure played forward for the Hawks's first Cup win in 48 years. He was a scary dude to play against for sure but I don't think he just had the will to play anymore. Like said above he made his money got his Cup and is enjoying life now.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
He was scary, but no shutdown guy.

The correct answer: he liked fishing better than hockey.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
upload_2021-5-13_17-42-34.gif

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Won a Cup, was a star, made millions, and then stepped away when his body started to get old
It's sad to lose him but understandable.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He probably doesn't want to play any more. It's not like he pulled a Paul Ranger and left early. He was in his mid-30s.
Buff was actually part of the 2003 draft class. So he would turn 36 this year. The fact that he opted to not play when he was 34, if he had lingering pain or discomfort is his choice to make.

guys from his draft class are calling it a career. Backes is this season. Matter of time before some other notable names like Carter, Perry, Staal, Getzlaf, Parise, etc do as well.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He probably just lost the motivation to keep playing. He made a lot of money, had a good career. Maybe he joined Dustin Penner for a pancake breakfast and said screw it, this is the life for me.

Reactions: Hagstrom

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Every offseason he would spend fishing and somehow balloon up fifty pounds, before having to scramble to get in shape and rehab his various injuries so he could be ready to play again in the Fall. And then in his last summer he didn't want to make the comeback. His ankle issue might have been especially painful. He still would have been a great player even with the injury, the Jets are much worse without him, but he didn't want to play.

Mar 14, 2011
He was scary, but no shutdown guy.

The correct answer: he liked fishing better than hockey.
5 vs 5 GA/60 (2017-2019)
Dustin Buff 2.06
Trouba 2.73

Being a fan of an Eastern team, I have this perception that Buff is more of a physical, offensive Dman but whenever I go take a look at the Jets player stats, I'm always reminded at how much better Buff was at keeping the puck out of his net compare to Trouba, so is this just a case of Trouba getting much, much tougher defensive assignments?

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad