What happened to Antti Niemi?

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
The guy went from being a #1 goalie on the Sharks and was a Stanley Cup Champion on the Blackhawks. This past season he was awful and got bought out by Dallas. How did he drop off so bad this season? Injuries? Lack of motivation? Or something else. I like the guy it just sucks when you see guys fall off like that.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The guy went from being a #1 goalie on the Sharks and was a Stanley Cup Champion on the Blackhawks. This past season he was awful and got bought out by Dallas. How did he drop off so bad this season? Injuries? Lack of motivation? Or something else. I like the guy it just sucks when you see guys fall off like that.

Niemi was the Hawks weakness in 2010 playoffs. The fact that the Hawks didn't go 16-0 was because of Niemi's incompetence. Otherwise Niemi was never that great to begin with. He had an elite lockout season and that's it. He got exposed when he went to a poor defensive team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Combination of degrading physical abilities and poor D/System in Dallas that exposed his biggest weaknesses

Niemi has always depended on his athleticism and agility to succeed at G. With his decline of physical talent he can no longer cover for the major flaws in his game

I appreciate Niemi for his role in 2010 cup win (He was amazing vs Sharks and passable for most of playoffs with only a few real bad games) and he had some good years in SJ but he was never an elite or even top tier talent and at this point he probably isn't anything more then an average/below average backup on his best days

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He was never that good and then he got older and got worse. He didn't suddenly drop off this season. There's a reason the Sharks didn't want him anymore.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's never been been that good of a goalie, and he's getting older. I called it back in 2015 and I wanted nothing to do with him on the Oilers. Knew it would be a mistake to sign him to a hefty contract and expect him to be a good #1 goalie. Would not want to know where the Oilers would be if they'd gone for Niemi over Talbot. Anyway, Niemi is probably gonna have a decent year in Pittsburgh, not having to play too many games and playing in front of a good team again, but he's a pretty average goalie.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Yeah, never was that good to begin with. The stars really aligned to get him even this far. He was a part-time Zamboni driver still at age 22.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
See Toskala, Bryzgalov, Elliot and Raanta (To some extent). Goalies who looked good because of the team in front of them. They all weren't very good.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Niemi got worse at the same time he started to play behind a D that bled high danger scoring chances

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Niemi just fell off a cliff in Dallas. He couldn't even unseat Lehtonen, and that defense did him no favors. I suspect he won't be that bad as Pittsburgh backup, but he could be playing quite a bit given Murray's injury history.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Niemi was the Hawks weakness in 2010 playoffs. The fact that the Hawks didn't go 16-0 was because of Niemi's incompetence. Otherwise Niemi was never that great to begin with. He had an elite lockout season and that's it. He got exposed when he went to a poor defensive team.

I agree Niemi was never that great, but he was pretty much the reason the Blackhawks beat the Sharks in 4 games. Blackhawks were badly outplayed in 2 or 3 out of 4 of those games.

As far as the OP. He got old.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Niemi was never good at any point in his career. Signing him was the biggest mistake the Sharks have ever made.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Niemi was bad with Blackhawks and he was bad as a Sharks starter. He had too big a role for his skill level.

Maybe his skill level has gone down slightly, but he's never actually been any good.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Let's see, they replace him with the Kings backup, go straight to the Final...
Seems to check out.

The difference was noticeable right away too. Imagine if the Sharks had replaced Nabokov with someone who wasn't swiss ****ing cheese back in 2011. Maybe they wouldn't have wasted 5 years of Thornton and Marleau in their primes and gone all the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad