What grind/hollow do you have?

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
FBV cuts tend to last a bit longer, I think. It is a matter of personal preference though mostly and also how often one skates. 4-5 times a week is quite a lot, at least in my eyes. 2-3 / week is more of a norm, so that could explain the longer cadence.
I use a 1 1/2 inch hollow on a 10/11 foot radius. 6'2, 195.

AcidJazz

Feb 23, 2012
It's very cold here.
Used to be a 1/2" guy when I played forward... but I switched to 5/8". I now play D so I like having less bite so I can transition from forward skating to backwards skating.
I play the lowest level of beer league.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Is this fairly typical for people to go months between sharpening?

I skate 4-5 times per week (not high level, I'm in D league and have only been playing a little over a year) and get them sharpened every 2-3 weeks. Otherwise I start to feel uncomfortable on my edges and I feel like I'm sliding all over the place.

Maybe I'm weird, but I came from speedskating where you sharpen your skates yourself every 1-3 times that you skate, so I'm used to having a nice sharp edge. I know a lot of the people I play with don't get their skates sharpened as often as I do, but nobody at the LHS has ever made any remarks about it being too frequent or anything.

When I did a regular sharpening (11/16"), I got them sharpened every 4-6 skates. They always felt a bit sharp at first but then after one skate I got the very edge dulled enough it felt comfortable.

For some reason, the FBV just seems to last longer. It doesn't feel quite as sharp at first but the edges still have plenty of bite until I've skated on them for 10-15 skates, if I didn't get any nicks in the edge. I also get more bite and the edges feel more predictable to me, like I know how far I can lean and when they start to bite into the ice.

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
Used to be a 1/2" guy when I played forward... but I switched to 5/8". I now play D so I like having less bite so I can transition from forward skating to backwards skating.
I play the lowest level of beer league.

I started at 7/16 and it would take me 2+ hours to get them worn down to wear I thought I could comfortably make turns and stops without catching an edge and wiping out. I switched to 5/8 and just like you, it has been great for me. Much easier transitions, better speed, and I can get them sharpened and go play without a break in window.

I am 6'4", 235lbs, with size 13-14 skates. Not the ideal. I also really have a tough time on my outside edges, I tend to do everything off the inside so some moves are really tough for me. I have been relearning how to use my edges properly. But... the 5/8 cut felt great from the first time I tried it. I do find I have to sharpen every 6-7 skates though... but I think a lot of that may have to do with my poor technique, and cheap steel.

TheSkatingDead

Mar 17, 2013
Upstate NY
A deeper hollow will give you more “grip†on the ice, thus your skate blade will “feel†sharper. Advantages: Edges will “bite†more in turns, giving more control to hold the edge(s). Disadvantages: Could cause you to lose speed due to the fact the blade is digging into the ice surface more.

A shallower hollow will still have “grip†- but less than that of a deeper hollow. Thus having the feeling of not being as sharp. Advantages: a smoother gliding feeling due to less drag. Easier stops and starts. Disadvantages: Less “bite†in turns. Edges may feel like they are sliding out from under you.

I prefer mine at 1/2" for the bite and speed... and usually have them sharpened ever 4-5 skates.

roffleburger

Dec 21, 2011
6'0, 240 lbs, athletic but could shed about 10-15 lbs (in an ideal world). I've been on 7/8" for almost a year and I'm loving it. I've tried every hollow from 3/8" to 1" and have settled on 7/8".

I also have the new LS3 blades (skate sits higher off the ground, helping me make sharper turns) and a really flat radius (I think 11' or 13'). I really love the easy glide over the super sharp turns.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
6'4 175lbs. Beer leaguer now, but play in good leagues.

Curious to see if there's any shift in trend 10 years later. I was always an average skater in my level of play growing up. As an adult, I've learned to loosen my skates and it allowed me to be a much better skater. I think a shallower hollow is the next step.

I'm just now putting two and two together to figure out that a deep hollow might be detrimental to my game. I couldn't figure out why some nights my legs would be gassed after a couple shifts (not a fitness issue, I train regularly). I would usually get standard cut or 7/16 and most recently 5/8. Then I got my usual 5/8 after not having them sharpened for a couple months and noticed a huge difference. Legs were gassed early on and felt like I was going to catch an edge the whole game.

Then I remember reading an article about Hieskanen and how he keeps his skates loose and "dull". Silky smooth skater. It clicked that better skaters don't need as deep of a cut. Shallow cuts are kind of like playing with a stiffer stick. Those who can are able to use it to it's full potential will see a greater advantage.

I will be trying a 3/4 my next skate. Might even jump straight to 1". Any one else go shallower?

Reactions: LeifUK

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I am 5‘ 10” tall and 11 stone 10 pounds (164 pounds) or 74 kg. I started on 5/8” as a learner skater, went to 1/2”, took skating lessons, went to 7/16” then 3/8”. I loved the grip and control with 3/8”, but it’s very tiring, and it’s hard to slide around. As my skating got better, I went back to 7/16”, then 1/2”, and now 5/8”. A 3/4” Sparx wheel is on its way to my home. I tried a 3/4” hollow done by my LHS, and thought it was great.

I discovered that a shallower hollower is faster and less tiring, and it makes it easier to slide around. But it requires better edge control i.e. a higher standard of skating. I can still do good crossover, 3 turns, crossrolls etc on a shallow hollow. This is thanks to several years of regular skating lessons.

I sharpen my skates every 3 hours, one pass on a Sparx machine, to ensure a consistent experience.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Curious to see if there's any shift in trend 10 years later. I was always an average skater in my level of play growing up. As an adult, I've learned to loosen my skates and it allowed me to be a much better skater. I think a shallower hollow is the next step.

I'm just now putting two and two together to figure out that a deep hollow might be detrimental to my game. I couldn't figure out why some nights my legs would be gassed after a couple shifts (not a fitness issue, I train regularly). I would usually get standard cut or 7/16 and most recently 5/8. Then I got my usual 5/8 after not having them sharpened for a couple months and noticed a huge difference. Legs were gassed early on and felt like I was going to catch an edge the whole game.

Then I remember reading an article about Hieskanen and how he keeps his skates loose and "dull". Silky smooth skater. It clicked that better skaters don't need as deep of a cut. Shallow cuts are kind of like playing with a stiffer stick. Those who can are able to use it to it's full potential will see a greater advantage.

I will be trying a 3/4 my next skate. Might even jump straight to 1". Any one else go shallower?

For one thing...holy heck how are you 175lbs at that height? lmao. Even when i'm in peak lean shape...i'm 180lbs at 5'9". lol. And rest assured, i'm not a bodybuilder type. :laugh:

That aside...i always just rock with a 1/2" hollow and wait a while for it to come around as it wears. But at that height with that weight...you might genuinely need something kinda different.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
For one thing...holy heck how are you 175lbs at that height? lmao. Even when i'm in peak lean shape...i'm 180lbs at 5'9". lol. And rest assured, i'm not a bodybuilder type. :laugh:

That aside...i always just rock with a 1/2" hollow and wait a while for it to come around as it wears. But at that height with that weight...you might genuinely need something kinda different.

Genetics, I guess. I was literally skin and bones as a kid. Now, if I don't keep up with strength training, I lose weight.

And I was 20lbs lighter when I was playing competitively. I've always had wirey strength and would rarely lose a corner/puck battle.

As for the hollow, 1" was too dull and I had to get them resharpened. 3/4" seems good so far on the ice I play on. Like you, I also like the feel after they've been skated on and dulled down a bit.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Genetics, I guess. I was literally skin and bones as a kid. Now, if I don't keep up with strength training, I lose weight.

And I was 20lbs lighter when I was playing competitively. I've always had wirey strength and would rarely lose a corner/puck battle.

As for the hollow, 1" was too dull and I had to get them resharpened. 3/4" seems good so far on the ice I play on. Like you, I also like the feel after they've been skated on and dulled down a bit.

That's totally it. Per Lane Hutson's Doctor...some people have good bone size, or whatever. :laugh:

Though i think this is a more appropriate opposite case of that where i guess i've got heavy bones and you as the much taller person, do not. lol.

I was always really thin and lanky through those competitive hockey years. But still deceptively heavy. As an adult, i just got heavier. lol.

As a skater though...my edge has always been agility and change of direction. Not outright speed.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

Yeah, I figured out some things a few years ago. Looser skates. Went to a 13/26 profile and a 1" hollow. Sharpen maybe once every 6 months or so, depending on the nicks I get on the skate, not on how dull they are. This allowed me to step up my game with my skating.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario

The only shift for me is that I'm about 25 lbs fatter than 10 years ago and with the loss of lower body and upper body muscle and extra fat weight, I've went down to a 95/75 or 90/75 FBV with minimal sharpenings vs 100/50 sharpen every couple skates. And by that I mean, legit 25 lbs fatter. I weigh the same as Im listed on my elitepros from my last year of junior, but my composition is very different than it was then. Same profile though; 10-11 1 pt fwd pitch.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Also on this, I sharpened Jussi Jokinens steel one time and he used a 1-1/4" sharpen which intrigued me so I tried it once and it was such a weird sharpen. Felt unreal glide and like id never catch a hard rut or buckle back on a hit but also couldn't see myself using it for other real game applications.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Also on this, I sharpened Jussi Jokinens steel one time and he used a 1-1/4" sharpen which intrigued me so I tried it once and it was such a weird sharpen. Felt unreal glide and like id never catch a hard rut or buckle back on a hit but also couldn't see myself using it for other real game applications.
Yeah I've recently hve gone back to a sharper cut. I'm not skating enough nowadays to use the shallower cuts and find I don't feel comfortable doing tight turns.

If I start skating multiple times a week again and build back up my skating, I might go back.

Ice conditions vary so much day to day that trying to dial in a cut isn't something I want to worry about I've decided. As long as I have edges and the cut is close to what I am comfortable with, I should be fine.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Yeah I've recently hve gone back to a sharper cut. I'm not skating enough nowadays to use the shallower cuts and find I don't feel comfortable doing tight turns.

If I start skating multiple times a week again and build back up my skating, I might go back.

Ice conditions vary so much day to day that trying to dial in a cut isn't something I want to worry about I've decided. As long as I have edges and the cut is close to what I am comfortable with, I should be fine.
Agreed now. When I play in the summer there is no chance id ever use anything sharper than 5/8" on a good day with how some of our rinks get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad