What grind/hollow do you have?

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
And what level of hockey and position?

I'm an older noob hockey player (tend towards defence) and have been using a 5/8 grind, but may switch down to 1/2 to give me a bit more bite round the curves.

What grind/hollow do you use?

Edited to add: I'm 6'2" 200lbs - looking forward to trying my skates with a bit more edge tomorrow

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
When I first started playing I had no idea and I think they were giving me a 1/2" grind. I switched to 7/8" once I figured things out. When I got older and gained weight I went to 1", but lately I went down to 3/4" since I started officiating. That's what I'm currently on.

I use 3/8" for my goal skates.

This is for adult league and officiating. I'm nearly 27, 6'1" and weigh 170. I mostly play defenseman.

don28

Postal Gunslinger
Dec 31, 2009
Lebanon, TN
44 years old, 5'9", 205 lbs. (in shape; I lift weights and do stretching exercises; I have legs like Martin St. Louis). I use a 7/16"; it's a good combination of having edges without compromising too much speed for me. I play defense in the C league and forward in the B league.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Play B/C league, go out to practices/shinny ice time with an industrial (A) level team.

35yrs, 5'-11", 208, in shape.

5/8" w/ 50/35 cag profile. Tonnes of glide, sharp turning & good toe for acceleration.

Winger.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Don't goalies usually have shallow hollows?

That used to be the case, but now that goaltending is so dependent on the butterfly slide and backleg recoveries having a deeper hollow really helps. Back when goalies would stay on their feet more is was better to have a shallow hollow to help with shuffling.

As a goalie I use a half inch myself. It's nothing too crazy, but it gets the job done.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
40 years old, 6ft, 200lbs, lift weights, actually enjoy going to the gym, been playing hockey for 20 years. Started out at 1/2, moved to 7/16 and loved that and now I will only use X6. Only one place I know of in SoCal offers the "flat bottom cut" even though this is a different version. Great glide, edges are always accurate and seem to maintain for a long period of time but I also put Step Steel on when I get new skates. Play defense in high leagues, forward in intermediate leagues.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
40 and 6ft 210 lbs playing beer league 3x a week.
I get the blades sharpened to 5/8.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
6'2" 175 lbs 5/8". I play wing. That and the 11ft Grafs help my straight away speed.
They both hurt my turning radius, quick stops, turns etc but I'm 40 so how much of that am I doing anyway. I also never catch an edge anymore so less chance of sprains etc

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
lightweight at 5'10" 135 lbs. when I first started, I experimented with everything from 5/8" to 7/16". though now, I won't deviate from 100/50 FBV

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
I like my move from 5/8 to 1/2 - I like my extra edge on crossovers and the like and that suits me right now.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
5-10.5, 165 lbs., using 11/16ths, but might try a 5/8th cut (10/16ths for the fractionally-challenged) next time as the warmer weather seems to be softening the ice. Usually play wing, sometimes center. Don't lift weights, just pure cardio and plyo.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
FBV 90/75. 5'7" and 195. I get them sharpened every 2-3 months.

Is this fairly typical for people to go months between sharpening?

I skate 4-5 times per week (not high level, I'm in D league and have only been playing a little over a year) and get them sharpened every 2-3 weeks. Otherwise I start to feel uncomfortable on my edges and I feel like I'm sliding all over the place.

Maybe I'm weird, but I came from speedskating where you sharpen your skates yourself every 1-3 times that you skate, so I'm used to having a nice sharp edge. I know a lot of the people I play with don't get their skates sharpened as often as I do, but nobody at the LHS has ever made any remarks about it being too frequent or anything.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011

I skate 4-5 times per week (not high level, I'm in D league and have only been playing a little over a year) and get them sharpened every 2-3 weeks. Otherwise I start to feel uncomfortable on my edges and I feel like I'm sliding all over the place.

Maybe I'm weird, but I came from speedskating where you sharpen your skates yourself every 1-3 times that you skate, so I'm used to having a nice sharp edge. I know a lot of the people I play with don't get their skates sharpened as often as I do, but nobody at the LHS has ever made any remarks about it being too frequent or anything.
I sharpen mine every 3 games or so but I also work there and do them myself for free. I'd say that's a solid time frame ideally but I'm ignoring the fact that you have to pay every time. Before I started sharpening skates I'd get mine done once a year. The difference really is huge though and the more often you get them done the more you notice when they aren't as sharp.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
its all personal preference. I prefer really sharp skates. as you can see some people don't like them as sharp. I'm 6'1" and around 200.(+/- 5lbs) depending on how much I skate in a particular week. I skate on graf skates with a bauer ls2 holder with a 3/8" hollow. I have my own sharpener and cut them about every 3 times I skate. so once a week or so. even though I'm 6'1" I'm all legs so I have a long stride and I tend to protect the puck with my body and speed. I like more edge for battles in front and in the corners. glide isn't really my problem.

I've been playing since I was a kid,

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
5/8" hollow, 5'9", 160lbs
I play mostly defense in both Silver and Bronze leagues here as well as working as an ice guard (on the ice ~14 hours a week.)
We have a little softer ice and I have no problems with my edges at 5/8". I could probably even go to 3/4" if I really wanted.

It's 100% preference but I would work on getting better at my edge control than to use a crutch in going to a deeper hollow. When I first started skating I went with a shallower and shallower cut every sharpening until I fell over from lack of edges and backed it off one step... 5/8". I should probably try 3/4" now that I have some edge control.

bwhinnen

Nov 26, 2012
Brisbane, AU
I'm 41, 6ft and about 205lbs, out of condition and carrying about 12lbs too much weight.

I play D in a C grade league here (would be equiv of your D grade) and am on the ice around 8 hours a week with practice, public sessions and game time.

I currently use 5/8 and find it a great combination of speed and bite, get my skates sharpened when I feel it needs it, generally when I start to have to put more weight and control into turns and cross overs to avoid slip or chattering. This can be anywhere between 8 - 12 weeks, last sharpen lasted 14 weeks :)

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012

FBV cuts tend to last a bit longer, I think. It is a matter of personal preference though mostly and also how often one skates. 4-5 times a week is quite a lot, at least in my eyes. 2-3 / week is more of a norm, so that could explain the longer cadence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad