Post-Game Talk: What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

• Total voters

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
His effort level this season has been putrid. 'Cancerous' might be harsh but I don't think he's a guy you win with.

He isn't a good enough player to be an impact guy with this compete level.
Ya Boeser’s conditioning through the first 30 games looked appalling.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
It looks better now?
I think it’s been somewhat better over the last 20 games or so. He’s gotten to pucks and gets around the ice better. I think he looked a bit shook up at around the time of the Green firing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think it’s been somewhat better over the last 20 games or so. He’s gotten to pucks and gets around the ice better. I think he looked a bit shook up at around the time of the Green firing.

We disagree here.

He looked good for the winning streak right at the start of Boudreau and has been a total ghost since mid-December except on the PP.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Someone earlier in the thread talked about dealing from a point of weakness, and sadly that's the way it'll be with just about everyone we want to trade.
Other than JT, what assets do we have that we could move that other teams are going to pay anything worthwhile for?
If we can all see that Boeser is struggling, isn't a pro scout likely to pick up on that? Teams are going to want to pay reclamation project prices for him, and fans are inevitably going to be disappointed with the tangible return (players, draft picks). More savvy fans will appreciate the salary cap flexibility, but what are you going to do with it?
I'd hope they'd trade Boeser and weaponize the cap space to acquire an asset from a cap-crunched team, similar to how the team acquired Miller, but hopefully at a lower cost.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I honestly thought it had been a lot longer since Kesler played last. Still trades like that are a massive middle finger to the spirit of the CBA, something that was seen so sacred when the Luongo deal was signed and eventually punished but now it's all good.

I went into the TDL hoping they'd move Motte and they did. I don't know how anyone realistically expected a Myers, OEL, Boeser trade to go down. Those are off season moves. Miller getting traded would have been huge but the message from the team has always been pretty tempered on that.

Moving Hamonic was unexpected and the return + not having to pay to do so is outstanding. That's what gets a B mark from me. Also it makes me happy to know that there is a new Jim Benning in the league in Pierre Dorian. Him and Pierre Mcguire are clearly stuck in the 90s way of thinking and perhaps we can dump more bad contracts on them.

Anyway by the end of the off season this team will look nothing like it does today. Maybe even from the coaching staff down to the roster.

Reactions: MarkMM and Dab

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Can someone explain to me how Motte for a 4th is "terrible"?

Massive overrating from Canucks fans lol...

The market for a 4th line forward was a 3rd/4th. You can't force teams to pay more LOL.

First of all, Motte is arguably a 3rd line forward and has producing at the rate of a 3rd line forward.

Second of all, if the market for a 4th line forward was a 3rd/4th, then why didn't we get a 3rd given that Motte is at least one of the better 4th line forwards out there?

By the way, you speak of Canucks fans like you aren't one. If you aren't one then maybe stop trolling us?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Someone earlier in the thread talked about dealing from a point of weakness, and sadly that's the way it'll be with just about everyone we want to trade.
Other than JT, what assets do we have that we could move that other teams are going to pay anything worthwhile for?
If we can all see that Boeser is struggling, isn't a pro scout likely to pick up on that? Teams are going to want to pay reclamation project prices for him, and fans are inevitably going to be disappointed with the tangible return (players, draft picks). More savvy fans will appreciate the salary cap flexibility, but what are you going to do with it?
I'd hope they'd trade Boeser and weaponize the cap space to acquire an asset from a cap-crunched team, similar to how the team acquired Miller, but hopefully at a lower cost.

Horvat, Boeser, Garland, Podkolzin, Höglander, Highmore, Schenn, Hunt.

Off the top of my head. Probably some not in the NHL yet like Rathbone.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Horvat, Boeser, Garland, Podkolzin, Höglander, Highmore, Schenn, Hunt.

Off the top of my head. Probably some not in the NHL yet like Rathbone.
Hunt? Highmore? Inconsequential.
Boeser. Already discussed.
Podkolzin and Hoglander, why? And what are you getting for either of them, especially Hoglander where his recent performance would again have you dealing from a position of weakness. Podkolzin would be a deal from a position of strength, but why would you?
Horvat and Garland I'll give you, although I almost put Garland in the 'why' category as well as an excellent five-vs-five player, and I think we probably just saw that he didn't move the needle much on the market.
Would Horvat? Would you be dealing from a position of strength moving him? Not sure.

edit: I'm thinking of players who are 'sell high' types, and none of these fit the bill. Miller certainly does, and Demko (although he's hit a bit of a wall recently), but no one else is playing at a sell-high level.

Reactions: rypper

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Took me this long to know why I was unhappy about the TDL.

The moves they did, were ok, ish. Hamonic trade was insane. The rest was meh.

Well... The thing is, I do not have a f***in clue, after these moves, if they are trying to win now or build. The direction is not obvious at all at this point.

What I wanted most of all was a clear direction and execution of a plan that takes us towards that direction.

Off topic; Its insanity that my Cincinnati Bengals are actually the most exciting of all the sports teams I follow right now.

Also... there was this fun moment last year:
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-26 at 13.45.11 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-26 at 13.45.11 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-26 at 13.45.11.jpeg

My three teams combined for what barely amounts to 1.000 point% in their respective leagues. :DD:DD:DD

Reactions: LordBacon

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hunt? Highmore? Inconsequential.
Boeser. Already discussed.
Podkolzin and Hoglander, why? And what are you getting for either of them, especially Hoglander where his recent performance would again have you dealing from a position of weakness. Podkolzin would be a deal from a position of strength, but why would you?
Horvat and Garland I'll give you, although I almost put Garland in the 'why' category as well as an excellent five-vs-five player, and I think we probably just saw that he didn't move the needle much on the market.
Would Horvat? Would you be dealing from a position of strength moving him? Not sure.

edit: I'm thinking of players who are 'sell high' types, and none of these fit the bill. Miller certainly does, and Demko (although he's hit a bit of a wall recently), but no one else is playing at a sell-high level.

Our players don't have the makings of a varsity athlete.

Reactions: December5th

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
For each of the 3 moves I give: A, A-, and a C. So that averages out to a B.
If they had gotten a 2nd rd pick for Motte I would have given A's across the board.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021

Well... The thing is, I do not have a f***in clue, after these moves, if they are trying to win now or build. The direction is not obvious at all at this point.

What I wanted most of all was a clear direction and execution of a plan that takes us towards that direction.

Off topic; Its insanity that my Cincinnati Bengals are actually the most exciting of all the sports teams I follow right now.

View attachment 520591View attachment 520592View attachment 520593

My three teams combined for what barely amounts to 1.000 point% in their respective leagues. :DD:DD:DD
Could be worse could be a browns, OKC, Canucks fan. Somehow the out right tanking team is the only team i have hope for.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't see us getting any more for him at the next deadline than this summer.

If he isn't part of the plans, clear him out now. Rip the bandaid off and don't keep f***ing around with cancerous floaters. This team and this dressing room is broken behind the scenes and we can't keep just dawdling around with the same losers hoping something magic happens.

If there's no market, I'm fine with just not QOing him and 'trading' him for the player we sign with the cap space.

If you get zilch for Boeser and then sign a Burakovsky for $6 million (or a Niederreiter for $4 million, or whatever) ... we're a better team out of that transaction. I don't think we'd get zilch, though.
If he isn't part of the plan they should have moved him at the deadline. Getting nothing in the offseason by letting him walk would be Benning level management.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Could be worse could be a browns, OKC, Canucks fan. Somehow the out right tanking team is the only team i have hope for.
Oh easily could be worse.

The Bengals are legit right now; If someone had told me that they are the team doing well out of the 3, say 5 years ago I would have laughed them off.

Burrow has forced change.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Oh easily could be worse.

The Bengals are legit right now; If someone had told me that they are the team doing well out of the 3, say 5 years ago I would have laughed them off.

Burrow has forced change.
Yep. And that new Oline is going to be scary. Might just bandwagon them seeing as i can't cheer for 22.

Hopefully The nucks can find their own JoeyB and Chase soon.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

View attachment 520591View attachment 520592View attachment 520593

Poor you having to watch defenses that are anchored by the ghosts of Christian Wood and Myers. (i don't watch football so can't make a comment on the bengals d) lol

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Poor you having to watch defenses that are anchored by the ghosts of Christian Wood and Myers. (i don't watch football so can't make a comment on the bengals d) lol

I mean the Rockets are more running practices during NBA games than actually playing.

The team is just a mess and a couple of young kids with high upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: