What grade do you give the Oilers after two days of free agent signings?

• Total voters

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

Forwards
Kyle Turris 1.65x2
Tyler Ennis 1x1
Alan Quine 0.75x1
Seth Griffith 0.725x2

Defence
Tyson Barrie 3.75x1

Goaltending
Mike Smith 2x1
Anton Forsberg 0.7x1

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Solid A. We were never getting a top shelf goalie via UFA and have to grow one organically. We’re decent enough with Smith and Koskinen. Barrie Ennis and Turris for the money paid are home runs. Solid AHL NHL tweener depth pick ups.

Very happy with FAF.

I wonder how much AA is getting on the market after turning down 2 x 2.4? But I’d rather Barrie than AA after seeing how Holland used that UFA money. Barrie for 1 season (and maybe more) was worth the 2 second rounders using AA cap hit.

Reactions: Vagabond

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I’ll say a B. Would like to have upgraded goaltending. The Barrie deal is great. Turris deal looks very good. They didn’t do anything stupid, so that’s a win. At the same time, would have liked to see Russell shipped out to gain some cap room. We also need to get Bear signed, and don’t have much room to do so.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I wish we had found a way to sign the following so far:
  • Alex Wennberg for 3C
  • Mark Pysyk or Matt Benning for 7D
  • Thomas Greiss or Corey Crawford for 1A/B
  • Mark Jankowski for 4C
  • Nick Cousins for LW
With that said, Turris and Ennis are in the same tier but considerably cheaper than Wennberg and Cousins.

I am delighted that we got Barrie.

If magic can be worked, it would be cool to see Hall or Granlund. Koekkoek on a two year contract could be a good get too. I would be okay offering Janmark and Wilson short deals too so that we can bump players like Khaira out of the top 12.

As for how magic can be worked, I have no idea who would be willing to take on the likes of Kris Russell, Alex Chiasson or Zack Kassian.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd give an A to the signings, I won't say I'm hugely optimistic when it comes to the team as a whole, but the signings themselves were largely intelligent choices given our current cap circumstances and roster shortcomings.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
B-. Would be an A if Holland was able to get a goalie, but I think they revisit that during the season when teams will be more willing to take on some salary. It's hard right now.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Ennis - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Archibald?! - Turris - Puljujarvi
Neal - Khaira - Chiasson
Haas, Nygard

Nurse - Bear
x - Barrie
Jones - Larsson
Russell

Koskinen
Smith

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
C, Would have been a solid A- or B at worst then the Mike Smith signing. (And the fact no cap has been shed to any degree.)

Most important position on the team downgraded due to one more year older and more expensive.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
According to Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps, we have $0.732m left to work with. Something has to give in order to re-sign Bear.

If Klefbom starts the season on LTIR, that'll free up the needed space.

Klef's shoulder might save K.Russell, but I think Chiasson will be on the outside looking in.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Neal-McDavid-Kassian
Ennis-Turris-Puljujarvi
Nygard-Khaira-Archibald
Haas, Russell

Nurse-Barrie
Jones-Larsson
Lagesson-Bear
Russell

Koskinen
Smith

As for my grade, A for the moves so far (even counting Smith); but if nothing else changes before TC it'll drop to B. I want to see how the rest of the summer plays out, and if Holland can open up more cap space without counting on Klef to be on LTIR.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
A-

I don’t like that we have to bring back Smith but he was probably the best option left. Holland did very well with all the other signings however.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
When looking at Smith's bonus structure this time around I'd pencil him in as a $1.6M cap-hit most likely. We are looking at a shortened season next year likely 60-62 games and his first bonus is at 20 games, with another bonus at a 5 game interval till it hits 40 games, each bonus I'm fairly certain is $50K each. The presumption would be Koski would start the majority of games, which should nestle Smith below 30 games, meaning he only hits 2 markers. His playoff bonuses I'm fine with taking as a cap overage penalty, but I don't yet have confidence in this team going deep so I'm not going to worry about that quite yet.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I know I said a B in the Smith thread but I've warmed up to it with it being better structured and have digested that the goalie market was to expensive. A- overall. Exceeded expectations, and could still be some more changes to come! :thumbu:

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I do not like Barrie--special teams player--he is Klefbom's replacement--one year I can deal with not happy about it but I get it

Ennis is my guy--cheap and good--AND HE WANTS TO BE HERE. But Holland did not want to sign him last off season and he went to Ottawa and cost us a 5th to friggen get him =--FWD all 3 positions and can slide up the line up. We had posters screaming about the fact the oilers were not realizing he wanted to be here last off season

Smith --I like Smith--I am not a kosk fan--not happy about oilers having the same G combo going into the next season

For those on line saying Turis will get 20 next season on the oilers 3rd line? he hopefully will get 13 to 15--the fact he sucks in his own zone worries me. For those who suggest Tippet had him before? Holland had AA before

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Forwards
Kyle Turris 1.65x2
Tyler Ennis 1x1
Alan Quine 0.75x1
Seth Griffith 0.725x2

Defence
Tyson Barrie 3.75x1

Goaltending
Mike Smith 2x1
Anton Forsberg 0.7x1

Much like the draft i rate this a B. Breaking it down further I'd put the FA at a B+ and the draft at B-.

Good points primarily because he did very well with very little.

I don't like Barrie but at that price you can't complain. Ditto Turris and Smith. We got good/ok players, cheap, that want to be here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad