What grade do you give the Oilers after two days of free agent signings?

What grade do you give the Oilers after two days of free agent signings?

• Total voters

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
A plus for the Barrie and Turris signings. How long have we waited for a right shot offensive D?

Not a fan of Ennis, think he is more flash than substance but a $1M, who cares.

Don't like the Smith signing, but it seems this year the goalies all got their dollars and other positions suffered. This may have less to do with how good he is at stopping pucks versus how good he is at moving the puck to make life easier for the defense.

Only gave a B so far due to I think he could have cleared cap space more, like several other teams have done.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
A plus for the Barrie and Turris signings. How long have we waited for a right shot offensive D?

Not a fan of Ennis, think he is more flash than substance but a $1M, who cares.

Don't like the Smith signing, but it seems this year the goalies all got their dollars and other positions suffered. This may have less to do with how good he is at stopping pucks versus how good he is at moving the puck to make life easier for the defense.

Only gave a B so far due to I think he could have cleared cap space more, like several other teams have done.
I think we would have to package assets to clear cap. Legitimately good players like Murray and Johnsson barely received returns, so how could we shift out our surplus?

Reactions: Aerchon

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
C or a D. Seems like lots of fingers being crossed for Turris, Barrie, and Pulju but the fact is that they're all guys who will need to rebound to move the needle at all for this team.

That combined with the hope that some prospects will actually take the next step and the even bigger hope that the goaltending doesn't just go out and die every night and it feels like every other Oilers off-season.

Just going to piggyback on some of these points:

- Disappointing that we ended up stuck with all of the money from Russell, Chiasson, Neal (Larsson to a lesser degree). Will be rejoicing when some of this clears in 2021.

- Very happy Holland was patient with Puljujarvi, could be a real player

- I think Turris is a really weird fit but it can work with Tippett's coaching, just he's not a defensively sound player so that 3rd line becomes awkward to deploy unless Turris + Puljujarvi find chemistry - which is very possible. Turris has been useless defensively in Nashville and needs to turn it around. Look how much they paid him just to leave. Iffy on it but thankfully cheap.

- We avoided deals with term, which is fantastic. Holland did really nice work not leaching into 2022.

- Klefbom will probably have to miss all the way to the trade deadline minimum for our cap purposes. There was definitely no way you could fully replace what he brings.

- Our forwards didn't improve enough, we needed a two-way winger on the left side to bump Khaira or Nygard out of the lineup. We don't have a lot of defensively responsible forwards nor players who can forecheck like Tampa's guys do (if we forechecked as a team like the Neal/Chiasson line did vs CHI, we could have broke them down like Vegas did)

- It's kind of awkward that Chiasson is still kicking around when they clearly don't have room for him.

- Absolutely nothing wrong with Ennis at that price.

- Tyson Barrie is a nice contract but it's more of a bonus - our PP just needs a guy who can push the puck on the blueline and his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired. I have hope he is a really special tool for us to use this season and that his puckmoving at 5v5 leaves to better 5v5 results but also we didn't really fix the problem vs Chicago (a total defensive zone breakdown) and without Klefbom, it's even worse. Stauffer had Barrie as a 3rd pairing 5v5 D and if that's his deployment, he truly is more of a bonus than a necessity and not a Klefbom replacement aside from being the PP guy. Toronto fans said Barrie liked to shoot on the PP - he's going to have to defer to McDavid/Drai like Klef figured out for it to work well. His playmaking will be key. I am 50/50 on this working and I'm very curious to see but the deal doesn't hurt us so can't say Holland did poorly here.

- Mike Smith is truly a bad idea, and people that think he'll only play 20 games forget Dave Tippett's loyalty to him. They paid him money. They gave him an NTC. They started him game 1. He's going to play too many games for this club and lose us a couple key ones, and that was a big whiff. Holland stuck to his budget in net and the lack of creativity hurt us. There's a chance Forsberg looks better in camp. There's an argument to be made that the money on Barrie should have went to Crawford or Greiss and we'll see during the year if Barrie wins us more games vs Smith losing us some. I can't buy the "Smith is a leader" either because it clearly didn't show vs Chicago.

- I still think the key pieces for the Oilers to improve this season are none of Holland's picks - Puljujarvi, Jones, Bear, Bouchard, Yamamoto development will continue driving this bus.

To me it doesn't feel like every Oilers offseason due to the upside of Barrie + Puljujarvi, however also I think we can't call Ken Holland as GM of the Year until we see what we look like without Klefbom and see if these rebound candidates do indeed rebound. It's too early for me to jump around and drink Kool-Aid.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Just going to piggyback on some of these points:

- Disappointing that we ended up stuck with all of the money from Russell, Chiasson, Neal (Larsson to a lesser degree). Will be rejoicing when some of this clears in 2021.

- Very happy Holland was patient with Puljujarvi, could be a real player

- I think Turris is a really weird fit but it can work with Tippett's coaching, just he's not a defensively sound player so that 3rd line becomes awkward to deploy unless Turris + Puljujarvi find chemistry - which is very possible. Turris has been useless defensively in Nashville and needs to turn it around. Look how much they paid him just to leave. Iffy on it but thankfully cheap.

- We avoided deals with term, which is fantastic. Holland did really nice work not leaching into 2022.

- Klefbom will probably have to miss all the way to the trade deadline minimum for our cap purposes. There was definitely no way you could fully replace what he brings.

- Our forwards didn't improve enough, we needed a two-way winger on the left side to bump Khaira or Nygard out of the lineup. We don't have a lot of defensively responsible forwards nor players who can forecheck like Tampa's guys do (if we forechecked as a team like the Neal/Chiasson line did vs CHI, we could have broke them down like Vegas did)

- It's kind of awkward that Chiasson is still kicking around when they clearly don't have room for him.

- Absolutely nothing wrong with Ennis at that price.

- Tyson Barrie is a nice contract but it's more of a bonus - our PP just needs a guy who can push the puck on the blueline and his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired. I have hope he is a really special tool for us to use this season and that his puckmoving at 5v5 leaves to better 5v5 results but also we didn't really fix the problem vs Chicago (a total defensive zone breakdown) and without Klefbom, it's even worse. Stauffer had Barrie as a 3rd pairing 5v5 D and if that's his deployment, he truly is more of a bonus than a necessity and not a Klefbom replacement aside from being the PP guy. Toronto fans said Barrie liked to shoot on the PP - he's going to have to defer to McDavid/Drai like Klef figured out for it to work well. His playmaking will be key. I am 50/50 on this working and I'm very curious to see but the deal doesn't hurt us so can't say Holland did poorly here.

- Mike Smith is truly a bad idea, and people that think he'll only play 20 games forget Dave Tippett's loyalty to him. They paid him money. They gave him an NTC. They started him game 1. He's going to play too many games for this club and lose us a couple key ones, and that was a big whiff. Holland stuck to his budget in net and the lack of creativity hurt us. There's a chance Forsberg looks better in camp. There's an argument to be made that the money on Barrie should have went to Crawford or Greiss and we'll see during the year if Barrie wins us more games vs Smith losing us some. I can't buy the "Smith is a leader" either because it clearly didn't show vs Chicago.

- I still think the key pieces for the Oilers to improve this season are none of Holland's picks - Puljujarvi, Jones, Bear, Bouchard, Yamamoto development will continue driving this bus.

To me it doesn't feel like every Oilers offseason due to the upside of Barrie + Puljujarvi, however also I think we can't call Ken Holland as GM of the Year until we see what we look like without Klefbom and see if these rebound candidates do indeed rebound. It's too early for me to jump around and drink Kool-Aid.

I do think you make some reasonable critiques and don’t disagree entirely with your doubts but to the bolded, should we expect that non top 3 draft picks from last year have an impact in the NHL? The only top pick to have any impact on his NHL team is Dach.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Not a fan of the Holloway(I'm more of a fan of Guhle than most here so I would've been fine either way) pick but he's been on record stating no one wanted to trade up which is what I would've done. So not the end of the world. But I do wonder if Arizona would've done Kuemper for the 1st+Russell due to the $ difference vs cap.

His FA signings have been good to great, save for Smith.

I'm as disappointed as most that some of our high cap hit tweeners aren't playing for another team but realistically Russell for example could've nixxed it with his NTC.

This off season was one of those times where there was so much turmoil some GMs took advantage, some stood still and some panicked.

Unfortunately Kenny stood still, he improved the team, but I didn't get the feeling he was aggressive as he should've been.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I do think you make some reasonable critiques and don’t disagree entirely with your doubts but to the bolded, should we expect that non top 3 draft picks from last year have an impact in the NHL? The only top pick to have any impact on his NHL team is Dach.

I’ll also add: who cares if the key guys needing to improve weren’t Holland’s picks? They are the oldest guys in the system so of course it’s expected they’re getting better than someone taken in the last two drafts.

Also, the most important question needing to be answered is in goal. The goalie Holland took last year - Ilya Konovalov - is looking strong this year and he’s 22, so if he’s coming to the North America to play it’ll probably be next year. Does that bode well for Holland’s stewardship?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Not a fan of the Holloway(I'm more of a fan of Guhle than most here so I would've been fine either way) pick but he's been on record stating no one wanted to trade up which is what I would've done. So not the end of the world. But I do wonder if Arizona would've done Kuemper for the 1st+Russell due to the $ difference vs cap.

His FA signings have been good to great, save for Smith.

I'm as disappointed as most that some of our high cap hit tweeners aren't playing for another team but realistically Russell for example could've nixxed it with his NTC.

This off season was one of those times where there was so much turmoil some GMs took advantage, some stood still and some panicked.

Unfortunately Kenny stood still, he improved the team, but I didn't get the feeling he was aggressive as he should've been.

He could have been more creative about a goalie solution IMO but the other moves were shrewd and low cost risks that could pay out big. If you want to see what a GM that stood still looks like, check out Mr. Benning.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
C

Turris projects for 30 pts and so does Ennis. Both small and trending down.

Barrie should be solid for us.

Goaltending sucks

No winger for McDangle (someone might step up hopefully)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll say an A for the first 2 days but a B for the entire offseason if Holland is done. IMO we badly need a top 6 LW to round out our top 6 and to become an absolutely deadly offensive team.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Goalie tandem was one of the tops in the NHL last year, so the Smith signing is being exaggerated as bad imo. Goal is to maker the playoffs, and goaltending was a strength last year, and carried us to that until covid. The Chi series was more an indication of how bad the dcore was than anything

Reactions: Al from New Jersey

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Last year's pick was Broberg and I absolutely do not expect him to be ready. I'm delighted by his SHL minutes uptick but he shouldn't see NHL time in 2020-21.

Bear, Jones and Yamamoto are entering prime youth hours now. Bouchard will soon follow, I hope, with a pro season under his belt and maybe a few more solid AHL games much like Draisaitl's 6 game cup of coffee and Yamamoto's half AHL season.

Puljujarvi I mean who knows. We gave him some money, so we expect he's an NHL forward but where in the lineup is up to Jesse. The big Finland numbers last year are nice, the torrid pace this year is a great start. I have hope he's a different player like Nichushkin's season in Colorado (hopefully not his Dallas one).

All five of these guys have had pro hockey development time. Excited to see what they become. Jones could truly surprise, loved what I saw last year aside from a few D zone coverage hiccups

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Last year's pick was Broberg and I absolutely do not expect him to be ready. I'm delighted by his SHL minutes uptick but he shouldn't see NHL time in 2020-21.

Bear, Jones and Yamamoto are entering prime youth hours now. Bouchard will soon follow, I hope, with a pro season under his belt and maybe a few more solid AHL games much like Draisaitl's 6 game cup of coffee and Yamamoto's half AHL season.

Puljujarvi I mean who knows. We gave him some money, so we expect he's an NHL forward but where in the lineup is up to Jesse. The big Finland numbers last year are nice, the torrid pace this year is a great start. I have hope he's a different player like Nichushkin's season in Colorado (hopefully not his Dallas one).

All five of these guys have had pro hockey development time. Excited to see what they become. Jones could truly surprise, loved what I saw last year aside from a few D zone coverage hiccups
Atleast JP is on a contract where he can play as low as the 4th line and not be overpaid.

Thats a low risk/high reward type of signing.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I gave him a "C'. Didn't clear enough deadweight to get in on better value players when he had the chance. Chai set the team back 5 years (Lucic lack of effectiveness etc.), so can't really blame him. Really bad trade for AA though. Can't afford to make any more mistakes like that.. What was he thinking? If Holland survives he has 2 years to turn it around.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
B.

Probably the best he could’ve done. The Smith signing moves it from an A to B, but nonetheless great moves were made.

Remember when people were clamouring for Holland to get fired before the draft? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
Some people were clamouring for Holland to be fired based on his signings before last season ffs.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I wish we had found a way to sign the following so far:
  • Alex Wennberg for 3C
  • Mark Pysyk or Matt Benning for 7D
  • Thomas Greiss or Corey Crawford for 1A/B
  • Mark Jankowski for 4C
  • Nick Cousins for LW
With that said, Turris and Ennis are in the same tier but considerably cheaper than Wennberg and Cousins.

I am delighted that we got Barrie.

If magic can be worked, it would be cool to see Hall or Granlund. Koekkoek on a two year contract could be a good get too. I would be okay offering Janmark and Wilson short deals too so that we can bump players like Khaira out of the top 12.

As for how magic can be worked, I have no idea who would be willing to take on the likes of Kris Russell, Alex Chiasson or Zack Kassian.

I have a strong feeling that Hall is coming here next season.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
C-/D+. I don’t think the oilers did anything to fix their biggest issues. I don’t see how this team is any better next year.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Let's just say that part of the reason that they signed Smith last was so that everyone else couldn't say "Well if you're paying an over the hill 38 year old goaltender $1.5M plus bonuses, I'm worth way more than what you are offering me".

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
C-/D+. I don’t think the oilers did anything to fix their biggest issues. I don’t see how this team is any better next year.

Pretty harsh all things considered. Given a flat cap and their best all around defenseman being out, they did about as well as they could. If Russell had no trade restrictions then I'd be harsher on my rating as he should have been moveable for cap to upgrade LD or LW, or sign a different backup.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Pretty harsh all things considered. Given a flat cap and their best all around defenseman being out, they did about as well as they could. If Russell had no trade restrictions then I'd be harsher on my rating as he should have been moveable for cap to upgrade LD or LW, or sign a different backup.

I rate based on how I think the team will do next year. It wasn’t good enough to win a play in round and I don’t think it’s any better today. They added a 3C that looked finished in the league and a D man that can’t play D. Then brought back a 38 Year old goalie who probably couldn’t get a job anywhere else and paid him $1.5 mill plus bonus? If the team doesn’t have historic special teams again will they be sniffing the playoffs?

I will say getting JP back on a reasonable contract is a win though.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Easy 'A' in my book.

Value signing for Barrie who gives this team its best pure defence PP quarterback since Pronger. Turris is a no brainer cheap reclamation project who slots into 3C with versatility to at times add a right shot shooter option to a lethal PP or jump up in games to topline wing if the Oil need. Bringing Puljujarvi back versus giving up high pedigree for low return completes the Holland hat trick. Solid organizational depth signings with Quine and Forsberg. Quibbling bit, I might have waited on Ennis with the volume of talent available but a solid character and versatile player they know.

Smith redux is a step back which I think Holland could have held out longer for a back up tender with prospects of Coyote money dumping, domino effect of Vegas possibly moving Fleury somewhere, and expansion risk tenders in Columbus. But Smith is an aggressive A type personality and leader which this team needs so hope the fit will hold with fewer starts.

Few available bucks (thanks Chia) but Holland grinded out a very solid free agency made even more precarious with the later breaking reality of Klefbom's injury severity.

EDIT: Trade market might pick up as this historic free agent buyer's market settles over the many weeks ahead so some further tweaking could happen. But there was little reason for other teams to take fringe Oil roster players when they could sign value deals via this crazy free agency.

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not going to quote that whole thing above, but saying Barrie is the best PP QB since Pronger is forgetting that Souray was a PP monster the one year he stayed healthy. One of the last true D-men who could be an asset from the blueline by bombing pucks.

I'll never forget Souray taking out Burrows and Bieksa with one shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad