Speculation: What goalies could potentially be traded this offseason?

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I feel Grubauer had too good of a season to keep both of those goalies on WSH. At 6.1M what is Holtbys value or do they move PG while his value is high

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
My guesses are...

one of Allen/Hutton (I feel Husso is ready to make the jump)
one of Steve Mason/Michael Hutchinson if not both (cheaper back-up options in FA)
Philipp Grubauer (upcoming RFA)
Robin Lehner (upcoming RFA)
Petr Mrazek (upcoming RFA)

Mrazek is going to need a very good post-season to even get a qualifying offer at this point.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Mrazek is going to need a very good post-season to even get a qualifying offer at this point.

I was thinking they might try to trade his rights rather than qualify him.

But yeah, it’s more likely he goes to Europe after this season.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
the cap hit varies if Mtl was willing to take salary back. Mtl isn't anywhere near to contending so basically they're wasting prime years of C.Price. While I understand your points, I still picture him being moved if someone blows away GM MB w/ an offer he couldn't refuse
Considering Bergevin's comments yesterday of "if we had a better attitude we'd be a playoff contender", I highly doubt he'll consider that. But you never know

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The goalie situation for Washington will be decided by their performance in the playoffs. As a Caps fan, right now before the playoffs have begun, I'd lean towards keeping Grubauer and trading Holtby just on the economics. Grubauer will be a RFA, but would think his next salary would be in the neighborhood of 4 mil versus the 6.1 that Holtby will be earning the next two seasons. Every bit of cap relief is beneficial, not to mention the Caps have goalies in their system.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Mason from the Jets
I figure after 2 concussions & other injuries this year & seeing what Pronger went through Mason will retire while his head is still straight. He'll risk the backup role for the sake of a possible SC but then pull the plug.
He was talking retirement before the Jets offer so not hard to imagine.

Reactions: Hunter368

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
There might be ace floating around. Koskinen might be available, but is there eany team who will take a chance with him?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
With Trouba and Morrissey both needing new contracts and the possibility of WPG wanting to bring back Stastny, I think they need all the cap they can get. I would imagine WPG would try to move him at the draft for maybe a pick. 1 year left at $4.100m, I think they can flip him for a late pick or project prospects.

My mistake. Totally missed that. Yeah, Hutchinson is good as gone and will explore his options in FA.

If they do decide to move on from Mason, they better have a backup plan (pun intended) to sign an experienced vet because an injury to Hellebuyck sinks their season as Comrie is nowhere near ready for nightly action.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
0 chance he gets a QO, but if his agent is smart he will be open to signing at a lesser amount than his QO before July 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad