Speculation: What goalies could potentially be traded this offseason?

Zenon Konopka Jr

May 19, 2017
NYC
Would Washington look to deal a goalie with the ascension of Grubauer? Do the Devils decide to part with Schneider if Kinkaid continues his great season into the playoffs? Several teams are in need of a #1 goaltender.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Will the Jets move Mason? A $4+ million back up. They're going to need cap space soon. Mason has found himself in the same spot as he did in Philly. However, what would the Jets do for a back up. Hutchison is probably gone too and Comrie is far from ready.

Reactions: iSophagus

donut

Sep 5, 2012
My guesses are...

one of Allen/Hutton (I feel Husso is ready to make the jump)
one of Steve Mason/Michael Hutchinson if not both (cheaper back-up options in FA)
Philipp Grubauer (upcoming RFA)
Robin Lehner (upcoming RFA)
Petr Mrazek (upcoming RFA)

Jan 21, 2018
Jake Allen. Plz.

What's the point when basically any other goalie available is going to put up similar numbers?

The Blues problem for the past several years is lack of a true #1C. The team will never win a cup without one.

Keep Allen, and do whatever it takes to sign Tavares. That's a team that can stand a chance against the Preds.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What's the point when basically any other goalie available is going to put up similar numbers?

The Blues problem for the past several years is lack of a true #1C. The team will never win a cup without one.

Keep Allen, and do whatever it takes to sign Tavares. That's a team that can stand a chance against the Preds.

We can do whatever it takes to sign Tavares and still try and move on from Jake Allen. It’s not like it has to be one or the other.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Goaltending has also been a huge issue and Allen went from average/good to just straight up bad

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
My guesses are...

one of Steve Mason/Michael Hutchinson if not both (cheaper back-up options in FA)

That's pretty much the list, right there.

Maybe Schneider gets moved. And there's a few few other long shots (Calvin Pickard type), but not much else that's noteworthy.

Reactions: north49er

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
That's pretty much the list, right there.

Maybe Schneider gets moved. And there's a few few other long shots (Calvin Pickard type), but not much else that's noteworthy.
It didn't include the boat anchor Scott Darling (Carolina would "welcome" a trade :P) Yeah no chance of that .

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It didn't include the boat anchor Scott Darling (Carolina would "welcome" a trade :P) Yeah no chance of that .

I honestly have no idea what Carolina is going to do about their goaltending situation. Darling really looked like he could be a starter, and then this career-killer of a season happened.

I don't think they will have an opportunity to do much beyond hoping that he rebounds next year. Get the guy whatever coaches and sports psychologists he needs, and try to squeeze 40 average games out of him. Because no one else is going to take him, and they can't afford to pay him without playing him.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Well our defense had Hutton put up some pretty phenomenal numbers. The issue with a jake is he slides around al over the place, and it seems he doesn't track the puck very well. Our defense is structured enough with a lot of people blocking shots to the point to where Jake isn't a great fit.

Jake is extremely athletic, but that's part of his downfall.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Allen needs to play on a team that has a really poor defense so he can use his athleticism to make highlight reel saves. If you have a team that blocks shots and forces shots from the point, he stinks. His ability to track pucks through traffic is abysmal. I don't know why more teams just don't tee it up from center ice to the blueline and score at will.

Reactions: north49er

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mrazek's rights if a team wants a shot at him before he goes UFA.

Neuvirth could be traded as well.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Tristan Jarry or Casey DeSmith maybe. Only one can backup Murray next year.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
My guesses are...

I don't think Mason will be dealt, the Jets probably don't need the cap space for one more year so they probably won't add anything to him to move him. He also hasn't had the best year between his rough start, all the injuries and Helle stealing the crease, so the chances of anyone offering anything for him are pretty low.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My guesses are...

Hutchinson is UFA. He will not be retained in Winnipeg (he already asked for a trade last off-season).

donut

Sep 5, 2012
I don't think Mason will be dealt, the Jets probably don't need the cap space for one more year so they probably won't add anything to him to move him. He also hasn't had the best year between his rough start, all the injuries and Helle stealing the crease, so the chances of anyone offering anything for him are pretty low.

With Trouba and Morrissey both needing new contracts and the possibility of WPG wanting to bring back Stastny, I think they need all the cap they can get. I would imagine WPG would try to move him at the draft for maybe a pick. 1 year left at $4.100m, I think they can flip him for a late pick or project prospects.

Hutchinson is UFA. He will not be retained in Winnipeg (he already asked for a trade last off-season).

My mistake. Totally missed that. Yeah, Hutchinson is good as gone and will explore his options in FA.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If Demko looks ready to make the jump to the NHL, which looks to be the case, then Anders Nilsson should be available. He's a capable backup. He was good for the first half of this season and then sort of fell apart.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If someone has a young solid top 4 left handed dman... I'd move Schneider+ in a heartbeat.

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
No way Price is dealt. Habs won't want to, and no one wants that cap

the cap hit varies if Mtl was willing to take salary back. Mtl isn't anywhere near to contending so basically they're wasting prime years of C.Price. While I understand your points, I still picture him being moved if someone blows away GM MB w/ an offer he couldn't refuse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad