What Gear Will Get You "Chirped" At? (Part 2)

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
No idea where the link is, but I remember watching a short doc on youtube following a couple of players in that league. Seemed like its the closest thing to a modern day Slapshot.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
What are some of the most chirpable equipment offenses you guys have seen in beer league?

For me it's definitely:

-Tinted visors
-Colored laces
-Colored blade tape
-Turtlenecks under jerseys (saw this more often during gretzky's time, thankfully not so much anymore)
-Wearing numbers such as 99, 66, 87, 68
-Wearing numbers like 0, 00, 69 (watch out guys! we've got a badass over here)
-Nicknames on the backs of jerseys instead of last names

Uh, why do you include wearing #0? That's my favorite sports number and my hockey number. Everything begins and ends with 0. It is nothing, yet it is everything. I agree about wearing 87, 99, 66, 68 tho.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Uh, why do you include wearing #0? That's my favorite sports number and my hockey number. Everything begins and ends with 0. It is nothing, yet it is everything. I agree about wearing 87, 99, 66, 68 tho.

tos-320-the-way-to-eden-300x225.png

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Remember these lids? I remember a few guys showing up with these about 10 years ago.
helmetquest.jpg

the nike quest helmet. how could i forget those

man those things were hideous and super heavy from what i remember

i did like those old nike quest sticks though. used a few of them back in the day

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
the nike quest helmet. how could i forget those

man those things were hideous and super heavy from what i remember

i did like those old nike quest sticks though. used a few of them back in the day

I'd rather wear one of Stan Mikita's old helmets than that goofy thing. I remember Lemeiux wore one of those briefly.

Mikwammichi

Jun 25, 2014
I'm not a chirper. I feel no need to have others conform to my or anyone else's style rules.

One woman at ladies' shinny wears mechanics' overalls and carries her shinny gear in a canvas sack - she is my hockey hero, basically. And cool as a cucumber.

When I do notice something outlandish, I either chuckle and shake my head quietly if it's dumb, or compliment if it's hilarious, then promptly forget about it and focus on the game.

One thing I will "chirp" you for - not passing when you really should have then blowing a chance. Another - going for my hands. Go for my body all you want, but let's be civil.

Maybe it's a guy thing - I heard guys tear tear each other down to help them check their egos or something, and maybe bond? I don't need all that fluff to bond with others and most of the girls I play woth have no ego to start with. Any girls chirp, and why?

Even when I was in jr high and high school I hardly noticed what other girls wore, so I certainly care less now, 15 years later. Jersey in/out? Ovi style, or pink laces? Who gives a rat's tail. I'm there to improve my game and help total newbies, now that I'm a relative newbie.

Now, I only play with friends for full-equipment games, and the locals at ladies'/mixed outdoor shinny, not in a league, and maybe if I played competitively I would feel the need to demoralize my competition? Or tease my friends lightly? Maybe if I were more confident around random local guys at the rink? Doubt it tho. Maybe if I played when my friends and I were teens, I'd have teased them... We were a sarcastic bunch, with each other.

Oh one young guy was wearing like safety green coverall pants to shinny. Surprised he didnt get chirped. If only for his end to end dangles. I cared for like 1 minute then adjusted my attitude.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014

lol , yeah don't wear 0 it's weird.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Is there such thing as a level between beer league and semi-pro. like a super competitive beer league where the play and practice ?

There are lots of "Senior" leagues here in Manitoba. Basically full contact, open age leagues, but no pay.
Pretty good hockey with lots of ex junior and minor pro players.

I played until I was 30 or so, but as my career progressed it became harder to explain why I was coming into the office with stiches or a black eye.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Don't think they warrant any comment or chirping, but gotta say I find those skates that have the holders with the circular holes in them and make the bottom of the skate look like a knuckle duster a little irritating. They just look damned silly.

wils5150

Mar 19, 2014
massachusetts
Don't think they warrant any comment or chirping, but gotta say I find those skates that have the holders with the circular holes in them and make the bottom of the skate look like a knuckle duster a little irritating. They just look damned silly.

Think you are talking about T-Blades? Siedenberg from the bruins still uses them i think.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Think you are talking about T-Blades? Siedenberg from the bruins still uses them i think.

They make a lot of sense if you don't want to spend millions of dollars on skate sharpening. Pros generally don't use them because they have their very own ways how they want their skates sharpened, and they get whatever they want as often as they want. T-blades are also a german invention, which may be another reason why you don't see them much in NA, but Seidenberg uses them.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
They make a lot of sense if you don't want to spend millions of dollars on skate sharpening. Pros generally don't use them because they have their very own ways how they want their skates sharpened, and they get whatever they want as often as they want. T-blades are also a german invention, which may be another reason why you don't see them much in NA, but Seidenberg uses them.

I've had T-Blades, and you spend more money periodically changing the disposable runners than you would spend on sharpenings. I liked how light they were, though. I eventually went back to regular blades when I got new skates. But unlike another poster, the sight of them does not irritate me at all. I guess I'm not that sensitive.:laugh: In fact, I like it when opponents wear them because they make so much noise that they can't sneak up on me from behind.:laugh:

Last edited:

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
T'blades do the chirping for themselves. Every turn and stop was accompanied by a loud squeal, my goalie was in tears laughing at them my the end of the game.

I spent way more on replacement blades (at $20/pair) than I do on sharpening and I skated a lot on dull blades because the t'blade edges only stayed really good for one game.

I did think they looked cool though!

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
T'blades do the chirping for themselves. Every turn and stop was accompanied by a loud squeal, my goalie was in tears laughing at them my the end of the game.

I spent way more on replacement blades (at $20/pair) than I do on sharpening and I skated a lot on dull blades because the t'blade edges only stayed really good for one game.

I did think they looked cool though!

My experience with them was similar. But mine gave a loud hollow crunch sound rather than a squeal. But that was years ago on Kevlar Tacks before they had composite outsoles. The first time, I used them in an open hockey session and was taken by surprise by the loudness, which also turned a few heads.:laugh:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
It is pretty simple. Wear any gear that is intended to make you look like star NHLer "X" and you are going to get chirped.

neumann103

Feb 20, 2010
I get them after being on indoor ice, never from outdoor roller hockey. I usually get an aura 1st in other situations and I know the feeling too well. Anyways, proceed with the chirping :D

I get migraines routinely and have for nearly 30 years. Most of the time (but not all) I get an aura in advance, but I have found that I often get exercise induced migraines after playing hockey. The frequency seems to vary. Since I picked up hockey again in adulthood I have gone through stretches where I got a migraine 80% of the time I played (which is a treat). But sometimes I might go 7 or 8 games without a single post game migraine.

I don't know about you, but for me it is almost never immediate. Usually it will come up 2 to 8 hours after I play, and most of the time without an aura as a pre-cursor. So a lot of the time I wake up at 4 AM with a migraine.

I have been to neurologists and had CAT scans and MRIs and never revealed any specific cause. I have tried prophylactic medications but they never worked out that well and I didn't like the side effects. I find the triptans very effective as acute medication, and so would treat a migraine with Zomig which at least makes things functional.

I do find that it typically has to be strenuous activity to act as a trigger.And it is more common if I am just playing hockey one night a week and not getting much other exercise. If i am playing twice a week, and swimming once, and working out at the gym another, it seems less common to get the post exertion type migraine.

People's migraine triggers tend to vary a lot. Some people cite chocolate or caffeine, but those are things I crave when migrainous. I am not at all triggered by light, so the visor would never have occurred to me as a migraine thing. I have never heard anyone give that reason but it has given me reason to think.

Prior to this, the tinted visor would have been just about the only chirp-worthy thing I would ever see on the ice. Empirically, I think that at least 95% of the tinted visor wearers I have ever played against would have been in the "dick" category. Usually in the "not as good as he thinks he is" or "believes there are NHL scouts in the stands of this beer league game " categories.

So, maybe I will dial back my assumption about tinted visor wearers. But then again, most of them overlap with "coloured lace wearers", "#87 Jersey guys" and "complains to the ref about every call dudes".

Full disclosure: I have been known to wear a navy Montreal Canadiens turtleneck during games as an homage to my favourite current NHLer Tomas Plekanec. But it is kind of a meta riff on something he himself treats with levity. I am a bit too old to have played against all the 80s and 90s kids wearing Gretzky turtlenecks. Basically I did not play hockey between 1977 and 2000 so I wasn't bothered by that. I do recall being enormously contemptuous of kids in high school football who wore white turtlenecks just like their favourite Dallas Cowboy players.

AND I just discovered today on this board that apparently hockey bags with with wheels are chirp worthy. So what do I know?

But, glass houses and all...

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
It is pretty simple. Wear any gear that is intended to make you look like star NHLer "X" and you are going to get chirped.

I've got no qualms matching jerseys and socks, but clean jerseys only. At 41 I'm not ever gonna be caught with a 25 year old's name on my back. A Jagr..or maybe a Neely or something though ..maybe?

Head to toe black with a Malkin shirt on is overdoing it a little though.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey

Believe it or not, it's against NHL Rules to wear 0 or 00. So you don't see a lot of it...

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
Some of my friends and I will wear NHL jerseys or funny novelty jerseys if we rent the ice out and have a private pickup game. We all chirp each other anyway. If it's drop in with strangers, then just a black or white jersey.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I've thought about it (seeing a doctor), but it only happens after ice sessions - never from outdoor/roller hockey, cycling, at work where I'm loading/unloading heavy things, or any other outdoor activity (cold or hot). I used to think it was sinus related, but no sinus medicine (including pseudoephedrine) has ever helped.

Perhaps looking into your sensitivity to the unique elements of an indoor ice rink that could be triggering the migraines, such as the:

- chemicals used to freeze the ice
- rink colors, such as a lot of white on the walls/celing
- air quality: stagnant zamboni exhaust/CO2 gasses in the rink not being released out
- rink temperature
- concession stand exhaust / chemical vapors

These are top of mind, but there might be other factors exclusive to the indoor ice rinks you play at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad