What Gear Will Get You "Chirped" At? (Part 2)

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Never heard of that. Old school Jofa and bowling ball helmets, sure.

Those old clear helmets will get a few snickers, even from me and I really don't care what people wear. But, there is a point where I just want to know what they were thinking in buying one of the ugliest pieces of hockey equipment in its history. As far as what color helmet, I don't think anybody cares, it's when you go out of your way to stand out like a chrome helmet where you'll hear it-unless you can play, look like you can mess people up or have above average size, then you'll never hear a word from anybody.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my Bauer, and I've been digging the white look lately, but I'm curious if having a white helmet will get me chirped badly or not.

never heard anyone chirp a white helmet. it's a standard color just like black

a yellow helmet on the other hand....

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Those old clear helmets will get a few snickers, even from me and I really don't care what people wear. But, there is a point where I just want to know what they were thinking in buying one of the ugliest pieces of hockey equipment in its history. As far as what color helmet, I don't think anybody cares, it's when you go out of your way to stand out like a chrome helmet where you'll hear it-unless you can play, look like you can mess people up or have above average size, then you'll never heard a word from anybody.

I hope they just think it's cool or it's an old piece of family equipment. No other reason to look like a goof as if you can't get a used, modern, high-end replacement for chump change.

I tend to notice lots of guys who think they're the chit wearing the matte color helmets. Black looks good, but the others...

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I am pretty sure all gear will get you chirped by someone at some point or another. You're better off just not playing if that bothers you. Wear what you like and/or what you can afford and enjoy the game.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Last night I got chirped by my own team for buying socks to match our jerseys. I know they're kidding around but come on, chirping for wanting a matching uniform? lol

ArcataShark

in dubious battle
Jul 3, 2010
Eugene
I chirped a guy for wearing a half cage. I mean, why?? Might as well wear the whole thing. Actually he got hit by something in a game once and got blood on my laces. Half cage?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
never heard anyone chirp a white helmet. it's a standard color just like black

a yellow helmet on the other hand....

Yellow's not entirely uncommon in my area due to the local university team (Arizona State) wearing yellow helmets. If I see someone with a yellow helmet I just figure they may have played for ASU at some point.

I chirped a guy for wearing a half cage. I mean, why?? Might as well wear the whole thing. Actually he got hit by something in a game once and got blood on my laces. Half cage?

Don't disagree with wearing the whole thing instead but a half cage has better airflow than a visor. I hate wind in my eyes because I wear hard contact lenses though, so I'd never want a half cage.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
a lot of people started wearing them when ovechkin broke into the league and wore one

to me it's the epitome of d-baggery in hockey and the equivalent of the guy who wears shades everywhere he goes and never takes them off. it's just a really bad attempt at trying to look cool

What happens if I need a tinted visor for my eyes? I wear tinted eyeglasses all the time.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
What happens if I need a tinted visor for my eyes? I wear tinted eyeglasses all the time.

then i'd hope you'd wear one. i know people who wear them for vision reasons

as long as you don't wear #8, have yellow laces and hang your pant laces down ;)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
What are some of the most chirpable equipment offenses you guys have seen in beer league?

For me it's definitely:

-Tinted visors
-Colored laces
-Colored blade tape
-Turtlenecks under jerseys (saw this more often during gretzky's time, thankfully not so much anymore)
-Wearing numbers such as 99, 66, 87, 68
-Wearing numbers like 69 (watch out guys! we've got a badass over here)
-Nicknames on the backs of jerseys instead of last names

You would hate me...those are mostly all stupid reasons, I rarely get chirped

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You would hate me...those are mostly all stupid reasons, I rarely get chirped

so you wear a tinted visor, colored laces, colored blade tape, and you wear #69? god that is awful

either you play in a league where everyone else does the same or you're the best player in the league so no one can chirp you for the most part

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
so you wear a tinted visor, colored laces, colored blade tape, and you wear #69? god that is awful

either you play in a league where everyone else does the same or you're the best player in the league so no one can chirp you for the most part

Neither of those, I'm an OK player...hockey equipment is like clothes, everyone has their own style.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
I don't see the problem with old or mismatched equipment. I wear my ~15 year old Bauer Vapor 8's and some old CCM gloves from maybe '02. I have a mix of gear from various teams I played on when I was younger, so it doesn't all match. I have an old red helmet with my # on it from college, but no one has ever given me attitude about that.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Chirped for gear? Really? Are we talking men's rec league? It all sounds like a bunch of 15 year old girls worrying about who's wearing what.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'd hate to play in any rec league you guys play in
:shakehead

beer league without chirping is like beer league without any beer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad