What exactly is Lou's plan?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Who would have predicted the success of Datsuk and Zetterberg? Sometimes you get lucky and draft well and sometimes you don't. Every org has that.

Drafting and Developing one NHL caliber forward in the last 5 years has 0 do with luck. Thats just poor drafting, scouting and developing.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Well for starters, we have an insanely stacked blueline future now thanks to Larsson playing like he has without Deboer here

Severson/Larsson both look like top pairing guys. Merrill/Santini both look like they will be good top 4 guys. Gelinas is going to a good PP QB and most likely a top 6 guy with possibly top 4 potential. Then throw in Scarlett/Hrabarenka and Jacobs and you are set for a long time defensively. Obviously, we still have Greene here as well, who does a very good job on the 1st pair with Larsson

Cory in Net, so we have that figured out for the next 5-6 years...

Defensively and In Net, we are set for the next 6-10 years.... Im very confident with what we haver and dont need anything else. Saying Lou doesnt have a plan is wrong, he has built out of the back.. Which is why we are set there for years to come.

So there is a foundation... Lou just needs to draft some forwards and high end talented players. Cammalleri (Fantastic signing by Lou, his best FA one in a while. A guy who is on pace to put 40 goals before injuries, but still on pace to hit around 30 on our team) Henrique is obviously a good 2nd liner, I prefer him at Wing and so do most Devil fans. Zajac has looked good since Deboer left and is playing with confidence. Zajac can be our 2nd line Center, we just are missing a top line guy. Need to rebuild our forwards with Parise/Kovy leaving which Lou couldnt do anything about.

Also, they have been bad this year... But have gone 4-2-1 in their last 7 after Deboer was fired.. Its not like they are awful anymore. Actually look good in their western road trip.(Minus the Anaheim debacle)

Last edited:

SchennSational1022*

I will say I think the Devils along with Flyers have best group of defensemen prospects. But what makes Devils fans confident you can draft a good forward? You haven't in how many years? Maybe if the pick is high enough they may actually hit on one now.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I will say I think the Devils along with Flyers have best group of defensemen prospects. But what makes Devils fans confident you can draft a good forward? You haven't in how many years? Maybe if the pick is high enough they may actually hit on one now.

We have never picked inside the top 10 and needed a forward..... The one time we did we traded for Cory and according to reports our pick would of been Max Domi... Hes pretty good

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it doesn't seem that bad with all that D and a great goalie behind them. Seems like the perfect way to build a team, assuming that in the following years there will be some help at forward coming in. They have some good players there but they need some young blood there, and at the same time the D has to mature, which is coming along.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
They had an awful roster last year too, and hung around the playoff race because of loser points.

True.

Everybody hangs around. In fact given the liberal points systems, it's a feat to fall out of the playoff race.

Isn't (contrived) parity great?! :shakehead

The most unfortunate thing is that it misleads a few fans into thinking their team is something it is not (competitive). I don't think that is the case here, as based on reading these boards, NJD fans have a pretty good read on their team's plight.

1. Larsson has been a bust so far.

Others have addressed the inaccuracy of this comment. The player is developing well. But, alas, some just live to use the "B" word on 22 year old NHL dmen. Such people should not be taken seriously.

Lou has been...incompetent...for almost a decade other than one fluke run a few years ago.

Likewise, anytime anyone casually passes off any team winning three best of seven playoff series and taking the SC champs to Game Six, losing the first two games in OT (read: one shot games), that person, too, should not be taken seriously.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I think his plan may have something to do with having the Blues tamper with one of players and watch the arbitrator make his wildest dreams come true.

:laugh: :handclap: That would fast forward the rebuild!

Last edited:

SchennSational1022*

We have never picked inside the top 10 and needed a forward..... The one time we did we traded for Cory and according to reports our pick would of been Max Domi... Hes pretty good

Ehh you were definitely better off with Schneider. Domi is all hype right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What Is Wrong With Lou Lamoriello?

For a GM who was once the architect of a very impressive winning program in New Jersey with fantastic drafting and development on limited resources, it really seems like Lou Lamoriello has lost his winning formula for many years now. Notwithstanding the cup run a couple of years ago, it just seems like he's happy to put together random veteran retreads with no long term game plan and hang around the fringes of the playoffs. The Devils don't seem to excel in drafting and developing that much, and they've made many suspect free agent choices since 2006. Does anyone know the reason for this dramatic shift in organizational philosophy? What's wrong with Lou Lamoriello?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He has the taste of success and it drives him to want to compete constantly, even when he'd be better off stepping back and stocking the cupboard.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
For a GM who was once the architect of a very impressive winning program in New Jersey with fantastic drafting and development on limited resources, it really seems like Lou Lamoriello has lost his winning formula for many years now. Notwithstanding the cup run a couple of years ago, it just seems like he's happy to put together random veteran retreads with no long term game plan and hang around the fringes of the playoffs. The Devils don't seem to excel in drafting and developing that much, and they've made many suspect free agent choices since 2006. Does anyone know the reason for this dramatic shift in organizational philosophy? What's wrong with Lou Lamoriello?

He lost his core in like a span of 2 years. Kovalchuk left unexpectedly; Parise left not so unexpectedly, but they couldn't exactly trade him while they were in a playoff race(and ultimately a Cup run); Clarkson priced himself out; Father Time caught up with Brodeur.

Getting Schneider was a good move, but a couple of high pick forwards didn't pan out and it set them back a bit. They have a strong group of young defensemen and a young goaltender they can build around. Just have to find a couple of stud forwards to add to the core. I believe that he'll sell this year and get the ball rolling in that area.

I don't necessarily think that he's dropped the ball - just a bit of bad luck + a couple of missed draft picks.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
He wanted to see how many Cup winning teams he can make by throwing darts at the wall to dictate his moves.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012

Everybdoy loses it eventually? Parise walking hurt. Kovy walking hurt. His ufa buyings have been bad. He has done some good(Jagr/Cammo/Schneider), but his damage control has been subpar imo. I mean, look at all those ufa mediocre/bust signings: Clowe, Havlat, Brunner, Ryder, taking on Ruutu. Ew. Thank god for Jagr or they'd have had top 5 lottery picks 2 years straight.

They have some decent youth, but not enough talent to rebound from this to beyond medicority soon. Cup chances are a rebuild length away.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Drafting focus has got to shift to strong offensive players, and I think one of Severson, Merrill or Santini (depending on how he progresses, looking good right now) could be traded for a young offensive forward, Tampa would make a good trade partner imo.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Everybdoy loses it eventually? Parise walking hurt. Kovy walking hurt. His ufa buyings have been bad. He has done some good(Jagr/Cammo/Schneider), but his damage control has been subpar imo. I mean, look at all those ufa mediocre/bust signings: Clowe, Havlat, Brunner, Ryder, taking on Ruutu. Ew. Thank god for Jagr or they'd have had top 5 lottery picks 2 years straight.

They have some decent youth, but not enough talent to rebound from this to beyond medicority soon. Cup chances are a rebuild length away.

Yeah I just don't get how a guy who built the best pipeline in the league could go from drafting and development and then go to signing people like Malakhov, Mogilny, Clowe, Havlat, Ryder, Cammalleri, Zubrus, Ruutu, even Jagr like he's trying to collect washed up (often European) veterans who have very little upside since the 2005 lockout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad