What exactly is Lou's plan?

NHL Fanatik*

The Devils defense and goaltending is set. Onky the forwards need work.

So a full rebuild isnt necessary.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
The Devils defense and goaltending is set. Onky the forwards need work.

So a full rebuild isnt necessary.

A full rebuild is never necessary. A well done retool is the most effective way to rebuild. Unfortunately, I would not trust Lou doing such thing.

They are so bad up front that it would take years and years and by that time, Schneider will be out of his prime.

Inapt

Oct 23, 2012
That will go down as one of the worst moves of the decade. Made 0 sense whatsoever. There is literally one worse first round pick you could have, Id understand if it was like the 14th overall pick and he was going to make the team have a lower pick the next year but for Christ sakes its the second lowest first round pick.

And sure other teams have done deals like the Kovy one but they didn't get punished because theres weren't as circumventing. Lou pushed the envelope a bit too much on that one and he was burned for it.

Seriously. As an Isles fan when I heard that I was so confused. I mean anyone could tell you the chances of you finishing 29/30th next year are ridiculously low to i don't know, anywhere within 1-28. Maybe he thought the draft had more quality players that year? Maybe he had his guy picked out already? Even still, I don't understand it.

SchennSational1022*

Keeping that 29th overall pick instead of forfeiting it was literally a fire able offense. Lou is living off past accomplishments at this point. I know in hindsight they got a pick back, but they would have drafted much higher than 30th overall last year... absolutely brutal management. Matteau doesn't even look like that good of a prospect. Solid defensemen in the pipeline though.

SchennSational1022*

Hmm? Parise leaving because of ownership, Kovalchuk bolting to go back to Russia, NJ picking from 11th to 30th because they did something several others teams had done. Then you have a couple of years with terrible owners and rumors of the them not being about to pay bills and even relocation. Has been a pretty rough couple of years

17 years........... Don't think any other team went past 13, and Kovy was definitely not "young" when he signed that contract. That contract was THE definition of circumvention, more so than any other in previous CBA whether you like it or not.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
17 years........... Don't think any other team went past 13, and Kovy was definitely not "young" when he signed that contract. That contract was THE definition of circumvention, more so than any other in previous CBA whether you like it or not.

This.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

So you believe Luongo will play until he is 43 (Kovalchuk's would've ended at 44)? It's one thing to reject it, which hadn't been done before, but to take away a 1st, 3rd and 3 million dollars was sort of laughable

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I don't know what the plan is, but he should have a fire sale at the deadline. Find a couple teams on the cusp, and get them to bid you up some prospects and picks. Nashville and Anaheim would be some good teams to chat up.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I see at least one poster casually suggesting that all it will take is 1-2 years for the Devils to be back and for their forward corp to be re-assembled.

I see two - yes, two - forwards on the current roster (Henrique and Zajac) who are under contract beyond next season. Which is good, given the state of NJD's forward corp, but nonetheless, that means that you have to fill seven spots among your top three lines.

Boucher? A prospect. Nothing more. Matteau?

OK, sure, let's assume (and that is all it is) that those two prove to be legitimate top 9 forwards. Then for the heck of it, let's say NJD drafts in the first round this coming summer a player who is contributing in the NHL within two years. And then let's say, another forward prospect is truly NHL ready (a stretch) and/or another player via trade/UFA pans out.

That's only 6-7 forwards at best in your top 9, none of whom are differencemakers (unless one wants to assume that a Dylan Strome, Marner or the like is going to be John Tavares II and right from the get-go; I'm not, ever.*) Or, if one wants to assume the Lou is going to rebuild his forward core by yet another shopping spree of UFAs who look great in the store display window..and almost inevitably prove to be mediocre mercenaries (this applies to all UFAs, not just NJDs). Not going to trade for that "star"; they rarely are available and NJD does not have the assets to acquire one if there was one on the market.

One or two years? Wish it would happen.

It won't be.

*If McDavid or Eichel fall into their lap , then chances increase, of course, that they have added a special player starting next fall. But the odds of them having the opportunity to draft either is low.

Last edited:

SchennSational1022*

So you believe Luongo will play until he is 43 (Kovalchuk's would've ended at 44)? It's one thing to reject it, which hadn't been done before, but to take away a 1st, 3rd and 3 million dollars was sort of laughable

17 years is the difference, longest in professional sports history. It was clearly more absurd than any before.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007

I thought the story was that Lou knew the league would reject it but he went ahead with the press conference anyway.

edit: I found the article - http://nypost.com/2010/07/21/lamoriello-knew-ilyas-contract-would-be-rejected-before-press-conference/

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I didn't realise Schneider was that old!

Still, they have goal tending and D in a strong position. Just need to work on the forwards. Watch them get McDavid this draft!

In 2 months he will be 29 , with his whopping <200 games experience.

Devils would be idiots to hang onto a 29 year old goaltender when they need to rebuild.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
In 2 months he will be 29 , with his whopping <200 games experience.

Devils would be idiots to hang onto a 29 year old goaltender when they need to rebuild.

Schneider has 194 career games played (regular season + playoffs). By the time Brodeur turned 29, he had 628 total games played. Wow.

You're right though in hindsight it might have been better to keep that #9 overall and roll with Kinkaid who has looked pretty good and will most likely only get better. Also if they forfeited that #29 pick they would of had #14 pick last year. So instead of Matteau and Quenneville, they could of had something like:

Horvat/Nichushkin/Domi and Larkin/Milano/Tuch

Schneider is a top goalie, though. It only remains to be seen if Lou can field a competitive team in front of him during his prime years.

GFiP*

They had an awful roster last year too, and hung around the playoff race because of loser points.

depthwins*

1. Larsson has been a bust so far. I can't believe Devs fans are now hyping. He's been nothing more than average every time I've seen him play which is about 25 times. While I agree he might turn out to be very solid defensively. That wasn't why he was drafted 4th overall. He was supposed to be a player who could chip in 40-50 points. He has almost no offensive ability from what I've seen. Let's face it. Hamilton is 5 times the player and Brodin is considerably better. Both taken a few picks after him.

2. Lou has been an incompetent clown for almost a decade other than one fluke run a few years ago. His drafting signings and handling of coaches has been an embarrassment.

Devils ownership has no stones when it comes to Lou. He should have been fired last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
They're going to be like Nashville was the last while (they seem very different this year). A few outstanding d-men, a great goaltender, no forwards to be seen.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Lou has done a horrible job since the 2004-5 lockout. Henrique is the only offensive prospect to Make it. Lou has given out alot of bad contracts and David Conte has done a horrible job of drafting.

Time for Lou to retire. Josh Harris should bring in Ray Shero and totally clean house.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
1. Larsson has been a bust so far. I can't believe Devs fans are now hyping. He's been nothing more than average every time I've seen him play which is about 25 times. While I agree he might turn out to be very solid defensively. That wasn't why he was drafted 4th overall. He was supposed to be a player who could chip in 40-50 points. He has almost no offensive ability from what I've seen. Let's face it. Hamilton is 5 times the player and Brodin is considerably better. Both taken a few picks after him.

2. Lou has been an incompetent clown for almost a decade other than one fluke run a few years ago. His drafting signings and handling of coaches has been an embarrassment.

Devils ownership has no stones when it comes to Lou. He should have been fired last year.

A bust? You do realize he's a twenty year old defenseman and they take some time yea?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If Jagr is open to be traded that gets you maybe a late 1st package that with your 2nd and move up is far as possible and hopefully draft another potential top six forward.

Just curious are Devils fans OK with Dylan strome

I'm okay with Strome. However, while I know some of my fellow Devils fans will scream bloody murder, I think Zacha is going to be the better pro with his overall skillset and game. He's much smoother and also has a lot of toughness to him. Once he's adjusted to NA he's going to be a monster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad