What ever happened to Rob Schremp?

Oct 18, 2011
too big of an ego, he thought his hands would take him where he wanted to go....never improved any other part of his game

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
What happened to him? Dude was a beast in the shootout?

Oh man, the song choice. Maybe the guy that created the video wasn't listening to the lyrics. If he was, he's a savage. :laugh:

Basically Robbie thought his puck skills were enough to make him an NHL player. He didn't listen to anyone saying he needed to work on his skating, and sabotaged his own career.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
well as an Oiler fan here is my breakdown

1)At the start of his draft year he was rated top 10 and everyone started watching
2) The first thing that hurt him was when the scouts realized that Dave Bolland was playing the tough minutes for the team and went into the nasty areas==Schremp did not
3) His attitude--he bought into the hype leading into his draft year
4) Never (reportedly) Adjusted his attitude in team interviews leading up to the draft. Schremp went from a guy ranked top ten on nearly all teams fall 2003 draft lists to reportedly being on a few teams "do not draft" list

he could not skate and he never learned to play in his ownzone

GrouperTrooper

Jan 17, 2008
Florida
He's in Southwest Florida.
Dropped into our Beer league about 3 weeks ago.

Skates pretty good to me! :laugh:
Pretty slick hands, and obviously was only going about 10%.

I took a few faceoffs with him, and chased him around the ice. He seemed alright, wish I would have asked for his autograph.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
What happened to him? Dude was a beast in the shootout?

Heh, same move every time, just alternating from forehand to backhand.

Anyways, Schremp had insane puck skills and a wicked slapshot but they never translated into NHL success because he kept trying to play the game like he did in Jr. Held onto the puck too long, got too fancy, his slapper release was slow as molasses. Just so, so many offensive tells that he became predictable. And when you can't skate well and haven't any sort of compete level or defensive accumine, you can't afford to be predictable. Just a guy who was content being the shinny champion of the world and wasn't going to change for anybody, even himself.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Can't skate, pretty soft, and no defensive awareness.

Basically his hands are the only tool he has that is NHL level.

He's in Europe somewhere last I checked.

Yeah pretty much. There's alot of guys in the league that are good skaters and physical that if they had his hands would be good scorers. Problem is he only had 1 tool on his belt and it was some crazy kind of screwdriver that only worked on a rare kind of screw.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I'm pretty sure he could have had a career as a top-six player if he weren't lazy as hell.

Sure, he was slow, but he was a pretty good playmaker, had magic hands and a powerful shot. Jason Allison made a decent name for himself despite being slower than 95% of the league.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Nobody is good enough if they don't train. If Crosby didn't work on his weaknesses he'd never have made it. It was an attitude thing with Shremp.

Crosby trained until he was good enough to stick. Schremp didn't. Ergo, Schremp wasn't good enough. It doesn't ****ing matter how good he stick handled. The dude lacked in every important aspect of the game.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Passchendaele;1052i63983 said:
I'm pretty sure he could have had a career as a top-six player if he weren't lazy as hell.

Sure, he was slow, but he was a pretty good playmaker, had magic hands and a powerful shot. Jason Allison made a decent name for himself despite being slower than 95% of the league.

Oh man off topic but Allison was absolutely painful to watch. His stats did not match him at all if that makes sense. I have no idea how this guy put up points he just slowed the pace down so hard. I guess it's an asset

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
I've got a Rob Schremp story.

So it's the 2010-2011 season, the Kings are in the process of turning from a basement dweller into a 2-time Stanley Cup champion, and thus Kings tickets are cheap so I buy some for me and my buddies when the Isles come to the Staples Center.

Anyway, I show up early to the game because I want to see the pre-skate warmups and give my Isles some love, you know? I see a group of honestly only 5-6 guys in Isles sweaters hanging out down by the ice where they're warming up, majority of the arena is watching their hometown Kings warm up obviously.

So anyway the players start throwing a couple of pucks to us, Tavares was still our shiny new toy at that point so we're all focused on him. Then Schremp grabs a puck and starts doing all those crazy stick tricks with it, keeping it in the air and catching it on the blade of his stick. You know the type. Clearly just showing off for the approximately 7 Islander fans hanging out.

The response from the fans? Groans. Audible groans. Schremp realizes this, stops messing with the puck and skates away. I felt bad for him, but that pretty much sums up his NHL career: eventually the fans will grow sick and tired of all the flash and none of the results.

Seriously? Pretty pathetic on the fans part.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

In a different era though. As soon as the rules changed he was out of a job.

Not that the current NHL product is the free-wheeling, high-scoring, post-lockout style of play that resulted in the Jason Allisons of the NHL going extinct of course. Hell maybe Schremp should make another crack at it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad